LSPI Concern In B58TU with RedLine 5W30 High Performance Oil Containing High Calcium

Armand_n

First Name
Armand
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra A90
Hi guys, I hope all is well.

I was wondering if anyone here uses RedLine 5W30 High Performance and has any concerns or has had issues with Pre-Detination or LSPI.

LSPI is not a concern in modern BMW engines. The N55 did not have LSPI issues, nor did the S55, either iterations of the B58, or the S58 (all are turbo charged DI motors).

I remember reading some things that smaller displacement engines, those found in Mazdas back in the day, had known LSPI issues, where as higher displacement engines like my B58 3.0L under factory specs, does not (factory specs being not tuned and running factory oil).

My main concern with LSPI is the calcium content in most (actual) high-performance motor oils, including the Redline 5w30 high-performance.

There is a lot of FUD spread on online forums, and I was looking for more insight into the *calcium content specifically*. The non-existent LSPI issues on these BMW engines are all engines running on the oil within spec, which are all oils that have lower calcium content. I am aware that redline 5w30 euro series exists, which is a suitable replacement for LL04 for example, specifically formulated to ā€œreduceā€ LSPI. I wouldnā€™t want to use this inferior oil, which is why I would prefer the Redline high performance, not the Euro series.

Basically, my question is this:

Iā€™m curious if the calcium content could present an issue in my TDI motor and if anyone running this oil has had any issues. I do not follow manufacturer suggestions, but that high calcium content is a worry for me.

This thread is not asking what oil people are using, I already love redline oils and I'm seeking insight if other are using it and encountering any LSPI related issues in these direct injection motors because of the calcium content. Also, doesnā€™t High concentration of ZDDP is mitigate LSPI? The High-Performance version has A LOT of ZDDP, so LSPI shouldn't really be an issue so long as I also don't drive on eco mode (I never do) and put 93 shell octane in?

Thanks in advance for your help guys!
Sponsored

Thraxbert

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'20 Supra 3L, boosted 3.8L Gen Coupe, '93 Jimny
1) Don't overthink this. The official oil spec for Supra is API SN, which is not even specifically formulated to prevent LSPI.

2) The oil you've purchased is conformant with the official API oil category recommended by Toyota.

3) Calcium is a detergent. You can still have a pretty high amount of it. Values <2000 PPM are still viable for oils formulated to prevent LSPI. Without an oil analysis, we don't know what RedLine has. But the biggest inhibitor of LSPI is a PAO base stock, which your oil has.

razorlab

First Name
Bryan / Briana
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Not a Corvette.
Is this another oil thread? Because I think this is another oil thread.

Bonus points for joining today and contributing to yet another stupid and useless oil thread.

OP
OP

Armand_n

First Name
Armand
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra A90
Is this another oil thread? Because I think this is another oil thread.

Bonus points for joining today and contributing to yet another stupid and useless oil thread.
Thank you so much for your contribution towards answering my original question! xD

If this was another useless oil thread, there would be a post anywhere on this specific topic, but there isnā€™t. Iā€™d know because I looked. Didnā€™t ask ā€œwhat is the best motor oilā€, I asked if I should be concerned about a specific motor oils composition being used on this platform.

Thanks for reading though!

lucky phil

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra GTS 2024 MT, Kia Stonic GT, Mazda CX5 GT SP
Hi guys, I hope all is well.

I was wondering if anyone here uses RedLine 5W30 High Performance and has any concerns or has had issues with Pre-Detination or LSPI.

LSPI is not a concern in modern BMW engines. The N55 did not have LSPI issues, nor did the S55, either iterations of the B58, or the S58 (all are turbo charged DI motors).

I remember reading some things that smaller displacement engines, those found in Mazdas back in the day, had known LSPI issues, where as higher displacement engines like my B58 3.0L under factory specs, does not (factory specs being not tuned and running factory oil).

My main concern with LSPI is the calcium content in most (actual) high-performance motor oils, including the Redline 5w30 high-performance.

There is a lot of FUD spread on online forums, and I was looking for more insight into the *calcium content specifically*. The non-existent LSPI issues on these BMW engines are all engines running on the oil within spec, which are all oils that have lower calcium content. I am aware that redline 5w30 euro series exists, which is a suitable replacement for LL04 for example, specifically formulated to ā€œreduceā€ LSPI. I wouldnā€™t want to use this inferior oil, which is why I would prefer the Redline high performance, not the Euro series.

Basically, my question is this:

Iā€™m curious if the calcium content could present an issue in my TDI motor and if anyone running this oil has had any issues. I do not follow manufacturer suggestions, but that high calcium content is a worry for me.

This thread is not asking what oil people are using, I already love redline oils and I'm seeking insight if other are using it and encountering any LSPI related issues in these direct injection motors because of the calcium content. Also, doesnā€™t High concentration of ZDDP is mitigate LSPI? The High-Performance version has A LOT of ZDDP, so LSPI shouldn't really be an issue so long as I also don't drive on eco mode (I never do) and put 93 shell octane in?

Thanks in advance for your help guys!
The B58 doesn't seem to have an issue with LSPI that SN+ and now SP oils were formulated to combat however you are ignoring the additional benefit of the latest SP oils on top of the LSPI advantage and that is improved performance with regards to cam chain wear.

Phil

SavagePassenger

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 2016 WRX
I ran the Redline HP 5w-30 for 5-6k miles on my tuned 2020 and didn't notice any issues. Think I'm going to be switching to Motul Xcess gen2 though.
Sponsored