What will void my warranty?

JR Supra

First Name
Julian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 toyota GR supra 3.0 premium
I have a locked ecu 2021 supra 3.0 and I want to do some mods. I ordered an Arma speed carbon fiber intake. I would like to do JB4 tuning, but I'm afraid that I will void my warranty on my brand new car. Do you guys have any experience?
Sponsored

BG500

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2019 Supra
In my experience it depends entirely on your dealer, some will be claiming that any mods will void your warranty while others don't give tuning a second look. You can call around and find the one who's ok with tuning the car.
You could just call a few up and say that you're considering buying a used supra with a tune but you're worried about the warranty, the response will tell you all you need to know

Davidr3

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Everything except the jb4 should keep warranty intact. You may find a dealer that’s cool with tuning until push comes to shove. They won’t cover your ass if Toyota goes searching so keep that in the back of your mind.

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra - Nocturnal Black
There are threads on threads on threads on threads on this, and the answer boils down to:

1. Magnuson-Moss ("voiding" a warranty isn't a thing, really). You can have warranty work denied because of aftermarket modifications, but it has to be proved the modification caused the issue
2. JB4 is removable with out a trace-- sort of. The ECU will flip bits that records if the engine has ran outside of it's designed parameters
3. Modifying cars is pay to play. Once you change things about the car that change the way was designed to behave it's on you.
4. It's not a dealer thing, it's a corporate thing. Any major work will get sent to Toyota Corporate for approval.

If you're worried about your warranty, you should just leave things be. Don't expect to burn up cylinders and in turn expect the dealer to pay for it. If you're going to go JB4 (I certainly did, it's a great tool) at least have a little bit of understanding on how to read your logs. Intakes, charge pipes, and basic bolt-ons will be hard, if not impossible to detect, but once you start messing with boost pressure you're fully in pay-to-play land.

Last edited:

romanLegion9574

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra 3.0, 2023 Toyota GRC Core
@zrk hits it on the head.

On a dealer level, some dealers may work on on systems of modified cars that weren't touched -- for example, my dealer handled a broken emergency trunk release even though I was running several bolt ons since the bolt-ons had nothing to do with the trunk.

Others may not want to take the risk of working with components they're unfamiliar with.

Your best option is to ask your local community owners or call up local dealerships and see their policy.

digicidal

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 2020 RX350, 2007 4Runner
Just focus on handling components unless you want to be a rubber burning warranty voiding moron..
Just being pedantic and playing devil's advocate but is there really any "safe" modification on a car that can lose brake assist from a light foot and a twitchy finger at startup? ?

If you're not prepared to at least pay up front and argue with corporate on the back end to get reimbursed... bone stock is the only guaranteed method. Well worth the risks for most, but the risks are still there even with suspension parts potentially.

YOTA_IL

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra 3.0 Premium
Just tune it, add all the parts you want and enjoy it! ?

Mason

First Name
Mason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0
Thoughts on an intake and cat back exhaust?
More than likely the Toyota dealership will make you convert your car back to stock before fixing anything, just to show it’s not the mods

yellowman

First Name
evan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 3.0 C.F edition 2021 jeep GC
if you want a faster car then what the supra is out of the box then buy a faster car. I was in a 485 hp supra that was tuned and made 386 rwhp. It was a joke i could of beat it on my pedal bike. Just stupid wheel spin and the youmg kids loved it. The car never hooked and to think he spent 1000.00 for this ? Try taking it in stock form to a race track then you will see how fast the car is and that it is over powered from the showroom floor. Good luck with your project. Just my 2 cents
Sponsored