What's your biggest car cleaning fu*k up?

Supra_UK_

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ex-Owner '23 GR Supra 6MT
I am huge into detailing, my Supra is a garage queen so I strive to keep it shiny. However, I found that ironically, when I try too hard, i.e. exceeding 3-4 hrs wash process, I get super tired, and I can start getting sloppy/making mistakes, which defeats the purpose all together of a perfect finish, and makes you question why you didn't just do a 60 minute wash for 95% as good results?

With that as a scene setter, I'll start with my biggest fu*k up, I am still mad about it...

I was valeting the interior, black leather seat bolsters. I bought a dedicated ultra mild leather cleaner, it's a light green liquid bottle with a nice zesty scent.

Little I knew, I also have another bottle, that looks almost identical to this, a green transparent bottle; so I just grabbed it, and sprayed away at my brand new seats - little I knew, until it was too late, that was a TAR AND GLUE REMOVER.
So the seat I was trying sooo hard to preserve and gently clean, was attacked by an extremely harsh chemical unfit for that material.

For those that used tar and glue remover, you'll know it has a very distinct strong chemical smell, so you wonder how the F. you can mistake it, but that was the scary part about being so tired I didn't even think and was on autopilot.

I made arrangements now so that mistake won't happen again, but I may have done some irreversible wear on the leather...

What's your biggest mistake/accident when cleaning your Supras ? 😅😆
Sponsored

Syeeee

First Name
Sye
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra GR 3.0 Premium
Neat thread.

Mine was probably using scratch X remover on the matte satin finish (diffuser) to removing a light scratch. Little did I know it isn't meant for matte/satin paint finishes and left a very hard to notice smudge that ruined my week. But now I don't even notice it.

SupraDC

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
Kidding of course.... mine was cleaning the louvers with my ring on.
There are a few areas where the ring brushed up against them and scratched off some of the ... coating, I guess? You really need to get in there to see it, but would love to get it fixed.... especially if it's easy. Difficulty level : matte cf

GoldenEye

First Name
Golden
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra
I am huge into detailing, my Supra is a garage queen so I strive to keep it shiny. However, I found that ironically, when I try too hard, i.e. exceeding 3-4 hrs wash process, I get super tired, and I can start getting sloppy/making mistakes, which defeats the purpose all together of a perfect finish, and makes you question why you didn't just do a 60 minute wash for 95% as good results?

With that as a scene setter, I'll start with my biggest fu*k up, I am still mad about it...

I was valeting the interior, black leather seat bolsters. I bought a dedicated ultra mild leather cleaner, it's a light green liquid bottle with a nice zesty scent.

Little I knew, I also have another bottle, that looks almost identical to this, a green transparent bottle; so I just grabbed it, and sprayed away at my brand new seats - little I knew, until it was too late, that was a TAR AND GLUE REMOVER.
So the seat I was trying sooo hard to preserve and gently clean, was attacked by an extremely harsh chemical unfit for that material.

For those that used tar and glue remover, you'll know it has a very distinct strong chemical smell, so you wonder how the F. you can mistake it, but that was the scary part about being so tired I didn't even think and was on autopilot.

I made arrangements now so that mistake won't happen again, but I may have done some irreversible wear on the leather...

What's your biggest mistake/accident when cleaning your Supras ? 😅😆
That's funny as hell! One of the MANY hats I've worn was a detail manager, when I get motivated I'm the same as you it has to be perfect! With that said, my biggest mistake would be trying to remove some tar with Goo Off, lucky for me my crappy little commuter car looked amazing with a long white stripe where there was NO paint left! lol...

Andrew4Supra

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 / 2018 Mercedes GLC43 / 2016 VW GTI
Trying to remove tar with steel wool... j/k 🤪

In all seriousness... I owned an auto detailing business for 15 years... just when you think you have it mastered... new tricks and products come about. Love to learn.

My personal pet peeve... those who keep the paint looking great but overlook the wheel wells, the inside of the rims (when it's easy to reach inside by hand or with a quality brush) and the exhaust tips. Coming from a perfectionist. Not important to some... I get it. Therapeutic to me.

Evolution

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21 Supra
Trying to remove tar with steel wool... j/k 🤪

In all seriousness... I owned an auto detailing business for 15 years... just when you think you have it mastered... new tricks and products come about. Love to learn.

My personal pet peeve... those who keep the paint looking great but overlook the wheel wells, the inside of the rims (when it's easy to reach inside by hand or with a quality brush) and the exhaust tips. Coming from a perfectionist. Not important to some... I get it. Therapeutic to me.
Current condition as of tonight.... at least the exhaust tip is a good color match for the wheels.

20230725_214517.jpg

20230725_214529.jpg

cbring

First Name
Chaz
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'23 A91 Cu Later
Was trying to fill in a rock chip on a Mercedes and made it worse lol. Eventuality sanded and polished, got the finish back, and tried again. Less is more when it comes to these things.

First Name
Jorge
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium , 2014 Tundra Crew Max
wiping the gauge cluster.... idk how I'm going to clean it, but micro fiber towel made some small scratches you can see when the light hits it in a certain spot.

OP
OP
Supra_UK_

Supra_UK_

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
wiping the gauge cluster.... idk how I'm going to clean it, but micro fiber towel made some small scratches you can see when the light hits it in a certain spot.
You know what I agree, I'm freaking terrified of that lol I have ocd with seeing all the dust particles on it, but as others said it seems like it's easy to make it even worse with swirls!

I'm not the type of dyi guy to have a miniature polisher or something and start buffing my freaking gauge cluster, so once it's ruined it's ruined 😆😅

Crimzon_Skyz

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 MKV Supra 3.0 Pro
When i purchased my supra the previous owner had added the CF mirror caps with the little inside wings that seem quite popular. cleaning it for the first time i ended up catching the quite sharp winglet and the whole mirror cap popped off and hit the curb. I died inside and the clear coat was ruined.

Turned out the previous owner had broken one of the clips closest to the winglet weakening the fit of the mirror cap. My girlfriend would often close the door and it would fall off on its own (discovered all this in the first week of ownership) making me feel like i was driving a £60k Hooptie 😭

Crimzon_Skyz

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 MKV Supra 3.0 Pro
If anyone has any good suggestions for Bug/Tar remover and a long wheel brush in the UK i would be grateful, need some ASAP.

OP
OP
Supra_UK_

Supra_UK_

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
If anyone has any good suggestions for Bug/Tar remover and a long wheel brush in the UK i would be grateful, need some ASAP.
Bugs: Autofinesse - Citrus Power - some good deals around ebay for the 5L version, cost effective.

For Tar and Glue, this one is superb: AutoBrite - Just the Tonic.

Wheel brush: the best and safest one is undoubtedly Wheel Whoolies; expensive, but great for barrels but don't get the large one, it catches the break discs/dust covers.
For a more "aggressive" less swirl sensitive, the EZ brush (I'm not a fan).
I have bought MANY wheel brushes, and every single time I cheaped out with some Amazon/unknown brand crap, I regretted it. Worth spending the extra money once in my opinion to get better quality fibres and handles.

MisterSkiz

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra, 2008 Lexus IS-F
I think the only time I have spent 3-4 hours detailing a car was when I first get them - polish/jewel/ceramic coat.

About 15 years ago I stopped using a hose completely to wash my cars and use Optimum No Rinse Wash and Wax.

Takes me less than 15 minutes to wash/dry the car now.

Avarela99

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
22 Supra 3.0
I used an highly acidic wheel cleaner on my Brand New Charger Scat pack which had optional hellcat wheels and i marred the finish on the wheel the very first wash… after that I became OCD with detailing. I ended up refinishing all my wheels because of that😭
Sponsored