Wind Noise & Buffeting Fixes

Cornholio

First Name
Beavis
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Tungsten Supra Premium
I just don't get it. I have no problem with wind buffeting but I only ever roll my windows about halfway down
Sponsored

Denton

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
23 3.0 MT
I just don't get it. I have no problem with wind buffeting but I only ever roll my windows about halfway down
And that's exactly why you don't experience the buffeting :p

I've only put them all the way down to experience the issue (like you, I never put my windows all the way down anyway) & if you like to put your windows down, this issue would be maddening.

s219

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BMW X3 M40i, BMW M2 Comp, Ferrari 328
The reality is that the solution is even simpler than a lot of these brute force fixes, but nobody is really analyzing the problem properly or applying fundamental aerodynamic expertise. I posted in another thread that you can fix the problem with a couple small plastic bumpers (1/4" to 1/2" size) stuck on to the mirror gusset. These act like "trip dots" used in wind tunnel testing to fix transition. Even smaller bumpers would work on the A-pillar.

I think many of the fixes proposed are just copies of what has worked on other cars, which is fine, but as a result people are overlooking simpler/smaller/cheaper fixes.

tadda

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 C8 Corvette Z51 2LT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
I saw that someone had tried this in the Wind Noise thread (see pic below)...This may fix the problem but how would you modify this approach to make it more aesthetically appealing?

diffuser.jpg

I think perhaps the primary reason why the current fix has evolved into what's being offered now (see below) is that both function and design form are being considered...This reportedly fixes the problem as well but still looks a bit rough and would look more OE in a gloss black finish...Also, it does cost quite a bit for what it is though...

supra wind diffusers.jpg

Then again an even simpler, less costly approach, which blends into the mirror gusset , might be to simply attach a 3~4" strip of this gloss black trapezoidal profile adhesive backed PVC strip along the back edge of the mirror gusset...

trim.jpg

Last edited:

tadda

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Last edited:

SCCA Racer#75

First Name
Dave`
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 2018 ZL1 1LE
I still think my homemade version looks better than most of those... and the problem is... once you do fix the wind buffeting noise with the windows down... it will create a wind buffeting noise with the windows up! (you have to listen closely but it does unfortunately).

Dave

s219

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BMW X3 M40i, BMW M2 Comp, Ferrari 328
I saw that someone had tried this in the Wind Noise thread (see pic below)...This may fix the problem but how would you modify this approach to make it more aesthetically appealing?

diffuser.jpg

Try fewer ones (1-3), try smaller ones, try black colored ones, try a more aesthetically pleasing shape, etc. This phenomena, while it creates an intense buffet noise, is very simple and really easy to disrupt. It happens because smooth flow around the A-pillar leads to an instability, and disrupting it just requires a small "bias" introduced into the flow. The bias will force the flow pattern to be something that is stable.

Supraboi7

First Name
Johnny Boi
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Toyota Supra
Is twisted tuning planning on releasing this in gloss black?

tadda

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase

Hy3jack

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra Launch Edition, Porsche 911 4S, Bmw M4
Just put my order in for twisted tuning version I will update once received and installed

FasTTurbo

First Name
matt
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
94 Supra 6spd (RR) - 94 Supra 6spd (Alpine)
Seems like something that should have been caught prior to production. What a goofy problem. Either way good that the aftermarket has something!

xBADCOMPANYx

First Name
G
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
FRS, GenCoupe, Duramax Colorado, A90

SCCA Racer#75

First Name
Dave`
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 2018 ZL1 1LE
How are you going to attach? LIke inbetween the mirror and pillar?

Looking forward to your results.

Best regards
Dave
Sponsored