Window trim cleaning?

SupraYYJ

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota GR Supra 3.0
My window moldings are a splotchy mess, particularly the part around the quarter glass:

PXL_20210809_231146733.jpg

(Photo is of my Absolute Zero white car with levels adjusted to accentutate the uneven colouring of the window trim.)

Meguiar's Natural Shine Protectant hasn't been helpful. I'd used Mothers Back-to-Black and Meguiar's Gold Glass Trim Detailer on older cars, but they're both pretty heavy and greasy, so I'm not sure I want to use them here. I'd like something that leaves more of a matte finish.

Have you found a good product to keep your window trim looking nice?
Sponsored

Zupra1776

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 MKV Supra and floating toys.
I used dawn dish soap and scrubbed them, then applied that cerekoat window trim once they were dry. It hardened and gave them a gloss black look rather than the tired rubber. I'm happy with how it turned out, but it isn't perfect. Just take your time and apply more than one coat.

OP
OP
SupraYYJ

SupraYYJ

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota GR Supra 3.0
I used dawn dish soap and scrubbed them, then applied that cerekoat window trim once they were dry. It hardened and gave them a gloss black look rather than the tired rubber.
Yeah, I might end up having to do that. It'd be nice to retain the more matte-looking factory appearance, though.

freeform911

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 a91 edition Supra 2016 Lexus rc f BMW 435I
Have you tried just vaseline?
Rubber likes a petroleum base product...

Porsche back in the day actually recommended its use on all trim and anodized wheels..

Steve

freeform911

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
My window moldings are a splotchy mess, particularly the part around the quarter glass:

PXL_20210809_231146733.jpg

(Photo is of my Absolute Zero white car with levels adjusted to accentutate the uneven colouring of the window trim.)

Meguiar's Natural Shine Protectant hasn't been helpful. I'd used Mothers Back-to-Black and Meguiar's Gold Glass Trim Detailer on older cars, but they're both pretty heavy and greasy, so I'm not sure I want to use them here. I'd like something that leaves more of a matte finish.

Have you found a good product to keep your window trim looking nice?

OP
OP
SupraYYJ

SupraYYJ

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota GR Supra 3.0
Have you tried just vaseline?
No, I hadn't considered that, but I suspect it would leave the same sort of greasy finish as stuff like Mothers Back-to-Black. If anybody's tried it on a Supra or other recent BMW, I'd be interested to know the results.

OP
OP
SupraYYJ

SupraYYJ

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota GR Supra 3.0
I've been using this product specifically for rubber molding. Works like a charm. I've only needed to use it every one to two times in a year.
I have some Gummi Pflege Stift! I used it on the weatherstrip of my Genesis Coupe's sunroof and the convertible hard top of my mom's SLK. It did a surprisingly good job of eliminating creaks and rattles in those applications, but my impression is it's more useful for increasing the pliability of soft rubber weatherstrip than improving the appearance of hard trim. (Of course, one of the greatest benefits of Gummi Pflege Stift is its hilarious-sounding name, which I enjoy speaking aloud at every opportunity.)

Have you been using Gummi Pflege Stift on your Supra's quarter glass trim? Do you think the result looks as matte as the factory finish?

freeform911

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
No, I hadn't considered that, but I suspect it would leave the same sort of greasy finish as stuff like Mothers Back-to-Black. If anybody's tried it on a Supra or other recent BMW, I'd be interested to know the results.
Rub the vaseline in...let set a little...
N wipe off..
If there is a greasiness to it it's very short lived...
I use to do it for the rubber on my 86 911...(which is alot of rubber trim)
It's very effective at conditioning the rubber...

Steve

SupraQuest

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra MK5
I have some Gummi Pflege Stift! I used it on the weatherstrip of my Genesis Coupe's sunroof and the convertible hard top of my mom's SLK. It did a surprisingly good job of eliminating creaks and rattles in those applications, but my impression is it's more useful for increasing the pliability of soft rubber weatherstrip than improving the appearance of hard trim. (Of course, one of the greatest benefits of Gummi Pflege Stift is its hilarious-sounding name, which I enjoy speaking aloud at every opportunity.)

Have you been using Gummi Pflege Stift on your Supra's quarter glass trim? Do you think the result looks as matte as the factory finish?
I forgot to mention the fact that I usually wipe it off with a microfiber towel afterwards just incase but yes it stays matte

W4STOY

First Name
Glenn
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Most the manufactures recommend silicone grease. I wipe it on an let it soak for a day and then wipe it off. My RV manufacturer recommend the same. Just like the vaseline if you wipe it well it keeps the rubber flexible and stops cracks.

OP
OP
SupraYYJ

SupraYYJ

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota GR Supra 3.0
I tried GummiPflegeStift as @SupraQuest suggested. Here's before and after:

GummiPflegeStift.jpg

I applied two coats using a microfibre cloth instead of the built-in applicator, waited maybe a minute, wiped it off, then buffed gently with a microfibre cloth. It evened things out a bit, but not a tonne.

SupraQuest

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra MK5
I tried GummiPflegeStift as @SupraQuest suggested. Here's before and after:

GummiPflegeStift.jpg

I applied two coats using a microfibre cloth instead of the built-in applicator, waited maybe a minute, wiped it off, then buffed gently with a microfibre cloth. It evened things out a bit, but not a tonne.
Try letting it sit a bit more for about 5min. If there's deep scratches or dent then those won't be removed.