Winter Is Coming

Gringo1960

First Name
Luc
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Stinger
I put on the 'it's winter, so the engine's coming out for maintenance and leave the bitch on the lift' tire.

IMG_7908 (1).jpeg
IMG_7880.jpeg

But the real answer is blizzak's.
Concur. Thatā€™s what Iā€™m putting on my 3.0, even though that baby will only come out on those few days when pavementā€™s dry. Road salt and abrasives are a real bitch here in MontrĆ©al. Got a Cooper S for everyday winter driving.
FullSizeRender.jpeg

IMG_0210.png

STV3

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra 3.0 Premium
Please search next time before making a thread. There are a bunch of threads on this already.

With that said, are you talking about actual snow tires? If so, you're better off getting a cheap set of 18's and throwing a narrower set of tires on them that have some sidewall. There aren't many snow tires that will fit them and the ones that do are basically just a waste of money.

If you aren't going to be driving in the snow then just get a nice set of all season tires and call it a day.

Gringo1960

First Name
Luc
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Stinger
Please search next time before making a thread. There are a bunch of threads on this already.

With that said, are you talking about actual snow tires? If so, you're better off getting a cheap set of 18's and throwing a narrower set of tires on them that have some sidewall. There aren't many snow tires that will fit them and the ones that do are basically just a waste of money.

If you aren't going to be driving in the snow then just get a nice set of all season tires and call it a day.
Winter rated tires are the law here in QuƩbec from Dec 1st to Mar 31st so all season tires are not an option for those of us up here that want to take their toy out on nice, sunny, clean road days.
Bridgestoneā€™s WS90 Blizzak are actually VERY good on snow and ice. I concur that taller sidewalls are preferable in deep snow but I guessing most of us just wonā€™t drive our sport cars right after a snowstorm so taller sidewalls are not needed.

jchadwell

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 Premium
If you have a second car for when thereā€™s actually snow or ice on the roads and the Supra will only be used when roads are dry and on warm, sunny days why would you care what the law says about only using true winter tires? I mean I just canā€™t fathom any LEO is going to be the least bit interested in your tires in that scenario. What am I missing here?

razorlab

First Name
Bryan / Briana
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Not a Corvette.
I put on the 'it's winter, so the engine's coming out for maintenance and leave the bitch on the lift' tire.

IMG_7908 (1).jpeg
IMG_7880.jpeg

But the real answer is blizzak's.
Bro, donā€™t you know the internet says not to leave your suspension hanging? Car is going to turn into sand!

Gringo1960

First Name
Luc
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Stinger
If you have a second car for when thereā€™s actually snow or ice on the roads and the Supra will only be used when roads are dry and on warm, sunny days why would you care what the law says about only using true winter tires? I mean I just canā€™t fathom any LEO is going to be the least bit interested in your tires in that scenario. What am I missing here?
Local knowledge, thatā€™s what youā€™re missing. Porsches and other sports cars are rarely on the road during winter up here and cops routinely pull over sports cars to check the tires during the mandated ā€˜winter tireā€™ period.

New Yorkersā€¦šŸ™„

jchadwell

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 Premium
Local knowledge, thatā€™s what youā€™re missing. Porsches and other sports cars are rarely on the road during winter up here and cops routinely pull over sports cars to check the tires during the mandated ā€˜winter tireā€™ period.

New Yorkersā€¦šŸ™„
What a money grab. You have my condolences.

johnnyskids

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Civic Si
Actually, no. WAAAY too many accidents caused by cars on ā€˜all-seasonsā€™ rubber; traction/adherence, even on dry pavement, is seriously degraded when OAT drops below -10C, which most of the time from mid Dec to mid Mar.
I think there could be some insurance issues as well. If you got into an accident with all seasons on when it's mandated for winter rated tires, I'm not sure if an insurance company will use that to get out of paying for the repairs.

For your question, stock rims are certainly not the best rims to use for a snow tire set up. Ideally you want square 18's (meaning all the same size the whole way around and one size down), this will open up more options, better options, cost a bit less, and perform a bit better.

With what you have, I'd probably go with these. https://www.quattrotires.com/dimens...c_rear=100&vit=(Y)&vit_rear=(Y)&dispo_only=on

Not exactly the best winter tires out there right now, but one of the best value options for your car and considering you'll be driving on mostly clear days, I think it's okay going with something a bit more "value" than the all out most expensive tire available.

koby

First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A90M/T AP2 964 993 458 720S D110 RS6 E30M3 FJC
Certain tires (brands) can differ on my 18s, where I have more issues, in general. Summer tires that arenā€™t heat cycled properly for example. Then I put the stock wheels and rubber back on and problems solved, lol. So Iā€™m pretty certain itā€™s the tire wear for me. Iā€™m not familiar with winter tires at all. Such as if they need any break in šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø
Hello everyone.
What kind of winter tire would you put on your MKV?
I got new wheels and want to put winter tires on my stock wheels.

Thanks,
Hugo
Hi, Kind of depends on where you are. I'm on the west coast so generally much milder winters here. The temperature and the rain is more of a concern than any snowfall.

Have set of 255/35/19 and 275/35/19 performance winters on my factory wheels and find its a good balance between winter weather and dry performance. Wanted limit the performance degradation of winter tires as much as possible.

In case you decide to go down this route, have an extra set of OEM sized winters listed for sale in the classifieds.

https://www.supramkv.com/threads/fs...35-19-275-35-19-kumho-wintercraft-wp72.19733/

Good luck

aldwin1999

First Name
Aldwin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 GR Supra 3.0
Got a set of Fast Wheels FC04 18x9 wrapped in Nexen WinGuard Sport 2 245/40R18, total cost was 1.6k CAD which was a crazy deal.

Did some research and found the Nexen WinGuard Sport 2s to perform really well especially for the price, so far no complaints gripping really well on cold/dry. Will give it a nice rip in the snow to see how much grip I get
Sponsored