Worst Dealership Experience Ever

RenRed2

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
22 BMW M240i / 23 BMW M2
I must have gotten pretty lucky. I did all my negotiations over the phone and never had a problem when I showed up. He asked if I wanted any add on things and told him no once and that was it.
Thats how I like things to go. Minimal interaction. Do the research, make the deal cleanly and Im up front about all of my intentions. Close it and drive off.
Sponsored

RenRed2

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
22 BMW M240i / 23 BMW M2
I commend you for walking out and figuratively telling them to shove it up their ass.

I've been in a similar position several times where I decided to walk out and hopefully teach someone a lesson. Not sure if they learned it or not, but I still feel good about not giving my money to liars.

I handled the purchase of my Supra via email since it was out of state. My salesman had no idea I was a woman until he picked me up from the airport. The kind of bullshitting and scam attempts I have to deal with just because I have tits is amazing.
I like dealing with female sales reps. Any issues Ive had in the past were with men.

Sorry to hear about you having issues. There is zero excuses for this treatment. The dealership model and experience are needless and fully broken. If the auto-makers dont see that now after COVID and Tesla - FK them. I have about zero time to give them beyond what I want. Games are dealt with bluntly but politely and Im gone.

Tsuki

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 A91-CF
I commend you for walking out and figuratively telling them to shove it up their ass.

I've been in a similar position several times where I decided to walk out and hopefully teach someone a lesson. Not sure if they learned it or not, but I still feel good about not giving my money to liars.

I handled the purchase of my Supra via email since it was out of state. My salesman had no idea I was a woman until he picked me up from the airport. The kind of bullshitting and scam attempts I have to deal with just because I have tits is amazing.
My wife can definitely relate. She walked into a VW dealership to check out a manual Golf R, and they tried to push her into an automatic Beetle, because 'people like you usually like them better' - yes, he literally said that. The amount of BS that you all have to deal with is absolutely idiotic.

FlynnZero

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra A91 Nocturnal
This was not a Toyota transaction, but nonetheless

I’ve been thinking about adding a Z51 to the stable and I thought I found a very good deal. Red 2017 Z51 3LT 3,000 miles. Very nice car. $59k. And it was a CPO, so warranty through 2024.

I know the game, I knew they’d want the doc fee. So, multiple times I asked if it was asking price plus ttl and doc fee and was told yes, just come in.

I go to the dealership and sounds like all is fine and we chat and they bring back the pricing sheet: the added $4,995 for the CPO certification and warranty, so I got up and started walking out. What?

Lots of drama and back and forth and I get them down to $1,000. It should have been zero, but I figure I want the car and it’s still a good price, so to hell with principle.

So we reprint the sheet I tore up and this is where it gets worse. When I came and did a walk around, the sales guy commented that they added wheel locks. Oh said “oh, great@ in passing and promptly forgot about it.

Back to those wheel locks. Price still doesn’t add up - it’s still too high. So I scan down the list and there they are - the wheel locks. $699. I said, you’ve got to be $h1tt!ng me!!! This is a joke right, $699 for $30 wheel locks??????? And the sales guy, with no sense of shame says “well, we also filled the tires with nitrogen.”

I said, “so you filled the tires with the most abundant gas in the atmosphere???” “Are you charging by the molecule???”

so they gave me a song and dance about how the price had originally been set at $67k blah, blah, blah. So, they agreed to give me my Frank Sinatra autographed diamond encrusted locks off for free and we ended up at $60k; still a pretty good price.

And I was going to sign, but then I said no - I won’t reward this kind of behavior. I would have paid that price if they had been upfront, but no - I’m not going to tell them their attempted scan is ok.

I cannot believe people really do this kind of stuff to one another.
LOL, charging by the molecule. Good one.

FlynnZero

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra A91 Nocturnal
I like dealing with female sales reps. Any issues Ive had in the past were with men.

Sorry to hear about you having issues. There is zero excuses for this treatment. The dealership model and experience are needless and fully broken. If the auto-makers dont see that now after COVID and Tesla - FK them. I have about zero time to give them beyond what I want. Games are dealt with bluntly but politely and Im gone.
Yeah, I am surprised more OEMs are not going with a direct model. People are sick of dealer BS and the endless markups. I do business with a Toyota dealer that I know personally. He still gets me once and awhile, but overall they are standup.

Tsuki

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 A91-CF
Yeah, I am surprised more OEMs are not going with a direct model. People are sick of dealer BS and the endless markups. I do business with a Toyota dealer that I know personally. He still gets me once and awhile, but overall they are standup.
They've tried more than once, but the private dealerships always win in court. Most states have laws preventing the manufacturers from selling direct to consumer. Heck - in a lot of states, manufacturers can't even sell directly to the dealerships! For instance, New England has a third-party Subaru distributor who has a near-permanent contract to be the exclusive distributor of Subaru vehicles to all dealers in New England, which is probably the most famous case of this. All southeast Toyota dealers have to buy from the third-party southeast Toyota distributor, who adds on things like ToyotaCare to all cars - so if you buy a Supra down here right now, you're paying $699 for ToyotaCare on top of the MSRP.

RenRed2

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
22 BMW M240i / 23 BMW M2
At least its tolerable!

RenRed2

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
22 BMW M240i / 23 BMW M2
They've tried more than once, but the private dealerships always win in court. Most states have laws preventing the manufacturers from selling direct to consumer. Heck - in a lot of states, manufacturers can't even sell directly to the dealerships! For instance, New England has a third-party Subaru distributor who has a near-permanent contract to be the exclusive distributor of Subaru vehicles to all dealers in New England, which is probably the most famous case of this. All southeast Toyota dealers have to buy from the third-party southeast Toyota distributor, who adds on things like ToyotaCare to all cars - so if you buy a Supra down here right now, you're paying $699 for ToyotaCare on top of the MSRP.
Good Ol'e boy politics. Like the consumer matters. 'Customer care' should never be in the same sentence as 'dealer'. Ever.

Tsuki

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 A91-CF
Good Ol'e boy politics. Like the consumer matters. 'Customer care' should never be in the same sentence as 'dealer'. Ever.
No way! These private dealers are PROTECTING us, right?? Don't want those dirty manufacturers taking advantage of the hapless consumer, after all!

Traveler816

First Name
EJ
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra
Walked in to dealer and asked to test drive Supra. They said okay but not until we agree on price. We agreed on price. Then the salesman said the manager said I can drive the car after they run my credit. I told them I’m not financing. Then the salesman told the manager, who then said I still can’t drive it.
I guess it was too unbelievable that someone who looks like me could pay for something like that. So I left.
Talked to the GM later that evening who justified the interaction, saying they were just protecting the car, and offered to let me drive the car but someone would need to ride with me. I politely told him to kick rocks. Karma will find them in due time.

Went to another dealer, they tossed me the keys and told me to have fun. Got back and bought it after a little negotiating.

RenRed2

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
22 BMW M240i / 23 BMW M2
Walked in to dealer and asked to test drive Supra. They said okay but not until we agree on price. We agreed on price. Then the salesman said the manager said I can drive the car after they run my credit. I told them I’m not financing. Then the salesman told the manager, who then said I still can’t drive it.
I guess it was too unbelievable that someone who looks like me could pay for something like that. So I left.
Talked to the GM later that evening who justified the interaction, saying they were just protecting the car, and offered to let me drive the car but someone would need to ride with me. I politely told him to kick rocks. Karma will find them in due time.

Went to another dealer, they tossed me the keys and told me to have fun. Got back and bought it after a little negotiating.
Winning. Make sure you send a nice picture to the other dealer of your new Supra and then blast it widely on multiple platforms. Fk them!

Last edited:

Mcoimpact

First Name
Bailey
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1995 318ti Club Sport 1999 Wrangler Sahara, 2009 C
Back in 2015 I was looking at a CPO Mustang GT Premium with the Performance Package. I drove from Louisville to Indianapolis to check it out. As soon as I sat down to deal they bumped the price $2k for the CPO. They also lowballed my trade because of non-existent "scratches." My wife and I walked. That night the sales manager emailed me offering to deliver the car to me for my offered OTD price. I told her to pound sand.