Yes, more JB4 content!

underdonk

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Supra 3.0 Premium
Finally installed the JB4 in the car. Took about a week, mostly because I have a 2mo and a 4yo and I wrapped three other projects into it. I primarily used this video to install the device:

It was a good walkthrough. I am not, however, a fan of the "jam the JB4 into the compartment wrapped in acoustic foam. I watched a few other videos and they did the same thing. So I will ask, what creative mounting locations for this thing have people used? Am I missing something simple (which is almost a given)? My driving impressions of it are yes, it definitely makes the car faster (map 2), but power delivery doesn't seem smooth. There seems to be more, what I identify as turbo lag, but I will generalize as "hesitation when hitting the gas hard at-speed." I can definitely see where a good custom map would help this be much more effective. I'm going to poke through a couple of logs to see if anything jumps out at me. Is that a pretty accurate impression for most people after driving with it for the first time?

I only lost two of those little white connector bits to the engine compartment during the install so I consider that a win, regardless.

EDIT: I did just find this: https://www.supramkv.com/threads/“nice”-way-to-mount-jb4.12611/. I swear I searched before I posted. It sounds like I need to buy some IKEA furniture.
Sponsored

Last edited:

VA90

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium
Finally installed the JB4 in the car. Took about a week, mostly because I have a 2mo and a 4yo and I wrapped three other projects into it. I primarily used this video to install the device:

It was a good walkthrough. I am not, however, a fan of the "jam the JB4 into the compartment wrapped in acoustic foam. I watched a few other videos and they did the same thing. So I will ask, what creative mounting locations for this thing have people used? Am I missing something simple (which is almost a given)? My driving impressions of it are yes, it definitely makes the car faster (map 2), but power delivery doesn't seem smooth. There seems to be more, what I identify as turbo lag, but I will generalize as "hesitation when hitting the gas hard at-speed." I can definitely see where a good custom map would help this be much more effective. I'm going to poke through a couple of logs to see if anything jumps out at me. Is that a pretty accurate impression for most people after driving with it for the first time?

I only lost two of those little white connector bits to the engine compartment during the install so I consider that a win, regardless.
I used the same video after I quickly realized the instructions included on Burger's website are useless.

My unit is also in the same area on the driver's side just in front of the firewall which seems to work well enough. When I get some more time, I will see about a way to more firmly secure it.

Generally same on-road experience as you. I haven't done any sort of flooring it at speed, but there is a hair more lag when you feed it throttle. Still fairly linear and not peaky like some turbo motors cane be. It doesn't really affect drivability on a day-to-day basis. I do think a custom map could maybe smooth it out a bit but what other upgrades do you have?

SlickRicATL

First Name
Ricci
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium (Red)
I used the same video myself. I personally don't have any issues with where the JB4 itself is stored(no rattles, no water). To me the car is smoother, seemed faster on day one but now I am used to it. I am running MAP 2 with HKS cold air intake, HKS exhaust, and AA catted downpipe (93 octane). My only issue now is the exhaust valve isn't working with the sport button in the car. I am forced to use the BC button on the turn signal to turn it on and off. I am going to try to change one of the gauges to the "valve flap" to see if that works. I'd say keep an eye on that as my issue didn't happen until after a few days. Overall glad I bought it and will be looking forward to a formal tune sometime soon.

OP
OP
underdonk

underdonk

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Supra 3.0 Premium
I used the same video after I quickly realized the instructions included on Burger's website are useless.

My unit is also in the same area on the driver's side just in front of the firewall which seems to work well enough. When I get some more time, I will see about a way to more firmly secure it.

Generally same on-road experience as you. I haven't done any sort of flooring it at speed, but there is a hair more lag when you feed it throttle. Still fairly linear and not peaky like some turbo motors cane be. It doesn't really affect drivability on a day-to-day basis. I do think a custom map could maybe smooth it out a bit but what other upgrades do you have?
Thanks for the info! I'm going to spend a bit of time as well to come up with a cleaner mounting solution. I don't know why it bothers me to have it just stuck in there. I'm sure it's fine. It's proven to be fine, really, given how many people have done it to their cars and haven't had any issues.

Other mods that would affect this include downpipe (AA catted), exhaust (AWE Track Edition), cleaned-up airbox and HKS filter (probably really doesn't affect it), FTP intake pipe (again, probably has no impact). May go on a bit of a tangent here, but with the B58, a lot of the go-to upgrades I would do on other motors don't really seem to apply. Throttle body, cams, headers (or similar), etc. don't really seem to be needed or are even available. I suppose that's a nod to BMW and their engineering of the motor. I am eying an intake manifold largely to address cooling and because I still can't believe they put a plastic intake manifold on this thing. Anywho, tangent over.

OP
OP
underdonk

underdonk

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Supra 3.0 Premium
I used the same video myself. I personally don't have any issues with where the JB4 itself is stored(no rattles, no water). To me the car is smoother, seemed faster on day one but now I am used to it. I am running MAP 2 with HKS cold air intake, HKS exhaust, and AA catted downpipe (93 octane). My only issue now is the exhaust valve isn't working with the sport button in the car. I am forced to use the BC button on the turn signal to turn it on and off. I am going to try to change one of the gauges to the "valve flap" to see if that works. I'd say keep an eye on that as my issue didn't happen until after a few days. Overall glad I bought it and will be looking forward to a formal tune sometime soon.
What version of firmware are you running on the JB4?

GoldenEye

First Name
Golden
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra
I didn’t like where they put it sandwiched between foam either, mine is zip tied to the wiring harness it looks super clean and it’s not going anywhere.
EEE4F9C1-427F-430A-BE8D-F947BF900808.jpeg

AHP

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 Premium, 2022 C8 HTC, 2019 Z06
Vehicle Showcase
A custom tune smooths out all of the jerkiness in the power delivery. Basically there is a delicate balance between target boost pressure, WGDC and actual boost pressure. When there is a large delta between those the ECU tries to regulate things by slamming the throttle shut. The OTS maps tend to have a boost spike immediately following the upshift and the ECU closes the throttle to reel it back in so you get the herky jerkies.

SlickRicATL

First Name
Ricci
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium (Red)
What version of firmware are you running on the JB4?
I updated versions the other day to the "alpha" version 58/22/5 and it didn't resolve my issue. Still one more trick with the gauge changed and I'll see if it helps. If it doesn't work I will be setting the valve to be open 100%.

Have you considered running MAP 3 at all?

OP
OP
underdonk

underdonk

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Supra 3.0 Premium
I updated versions the other day to the "alpha" version 58/22/5 and it didn't resolve my issue. Still one more trick with the gauge changed and I'll see if it helps. If it doesn't work I will be setting the valve to be open 100%.

Have you considered running MAP 3 at all?
Interesting. I've only read that people have the issue after they've updated to the alpha-branch v22 (which I wouldn't recommend unless you're ok with experiencing issues such as this occasionally). I don't have an exhaust valve any longer so I can't comment on that. :D Not going to run Map 3 as I've heard people have damaged their cars doing so. Once I get some miles on the JB4 and get a good feel for how the car is performing, I'll be getting a custom map created by @Jesse DaBears based on the feedback here. I'll absolutely get a true unlock and flash of the ECU done once the process is fully hashed out and cheaper on the unlockable '21s such as mine. We need some competition to drive innovation in this area and bring the cost down. Really just got this for "track season" this year, assuming we'll be in a different spot next year this time with flashing the ECU.

Miskysupra

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra mkv
I was running a JB4 on my 22 blew the turbo. So go custom tune or just unlock the ecu if you got the bag. Luckily my dealership covered the turbo 6k job.

OP
OP
underdonk

underdonk

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Supra 3.0 Premium
I was running a JB4 on my 22 blew the turbo. So go custom tune or just unlock the ecu if you got the bag. Luckily my dealership covered the turbo 6k job.
What map were you running most of the time?