2019 BMW Z4 News, Concept, and Spy Shots Thread

Discussion in 'General Supra Topics' started by black-supra, Dec 8, 2014.

?

What do you think of the Z4 concept?

1. Very nice, I like it :D

17 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. Its ok, but the 'Supra' will be better :p

31 vote(s)
    60.8%
  3. I'm not feeling it at all :/

3 vote(s)
    5.9%
  1. black-supra

black-supra Well-Known Member

Car(s):
    Very Fast
    Liked:
    Render of what the BMW-Toyota sports car might look like. This looks purely BMW so I doubt the Toyota will look anything like this. Plus its a convertible. And I hope this isn't true - that BMW is leading design of both cars.

"Some sources mention the reborn Toyota Supra and the BMW Z4 replacement (potentially called Z5) are due to appear within three years and BMW is leading the packaging and design of both cars. Toyota will contribute to the styling as well. "

Update

Z4 Concept

Spied photo and video

supraboi, johnny_10196 and vb22 like this.
  2. 910ps

910ps Well-Known Member

Car(s):
    WRX
    Liked:
    I really don't see why BMW would have a say in the design of Toyota's. If both companies are spinning off their respective sports cars, the joint development should be purely engineering. This isn't going to be a Toyotabaru situation from what we know.

Here's my question: will Calty play a role in the design of the actual production car?

3. Craigy

Craigy Well-Known Member

Car(s):
    M3, Lexus GX
    Liked:
    Exactly. A lot of bloggers, commenters, etc. grossly assume that this car is going to be another FRS/BRZ with different badges and a couple different body panels.

"Packaging and design" reads more broadly than it should. Article does not state anything more about said "some sources" whose sources they are, sounds like bullshit, no new added information.

BMW leading the packaging and design of the co-developed modular platform, OK. That is non-news, and has been known for some time.

4. AZ Wildcat

AZ Wildcat Well-Known Member

Car(s):
    Hoping for new Supra
    Liked:
    Blah blah a lot of the info posted now by blogs are just spinning and outright speculating. That render must also be based on nothing but imagination. Plus that car looks big like a 6 series, not a Z roadster.

5. Faxanadu

Faxanadu Member

Car(s):
    Liked:
    Do we know if they're involved in styling of the Toyota version? Hope not. Most new BMW's have been ugly.

6. NeroZ

NeroZ Active Member

Car(s):
    FR-S Release Series 1
    Liked:
    I can't remember where I read it here but I think it was the LF-LC concept that was designed by Calty and they'll also be styling the produciton model so there's hope that happens for FT-1. With the crazy positive reaction the FT-1 concept got it'd be a shame not to let Calty take it all the way to production form.

7. supraninja

supraninja Well-Known Member

Car(s):
    MKIV Supra
    Liked:
    This is from a BMW blog and it says that Toyota will contribute to the design as well. That to me means that Toyota is the one leading the design and possibly contributing to the BMW version in addition to its own. That would make sense since the FT-1 was Calty (Toyota) made and has no platform. BMW probably has the platform but no design concept yet.

8. S O B

S O B Active Member

Car(s):
    Liked:
    Looks like some artist took a LF-LC, added BMW grills, lights, badge and wheels, chopped off the roof and called it a day. Please try again :)

supraboi and Supra93 like this.
  9. FT1freddy

FT1freddy Well-Known Member

Car(s):
    FR-S
    Liked:
    How does this look different than any other BMW? Cut off everything past the grille and it could be the M4, X5, etc. They all look the same.

10. fox body

fox body Active Member

Car(s):
    Pogo Stick
    Liked:
    Agreed. It sounds like they are talking about Toyota contributing to the design of the car that BMW will build from this shared platform. or at least let's hope. That may be just a render but I don't doubt combining the BMW corporate look with the Calty design would turn it into a Frankenstein abomination.

11. Hank Lee

Hank Lee Active Member

Car(s):
    IS-F Ultrasonic Blue (2010)
    Liked:
    Its been reported awhile back that back companies will do their own exterior designs (unlike with the BRZ/86).

12. dsubrosa

dsubrosa Active Member

Car(s):
    2011 Yaris
    Liked:
    Still wonder if there will be any shared design at all or completely separate. Given some of these reports it could be possible it shares something other than basic dimensions. :dunno:

13. Big George

Big George Active Member

Car(s):
    Mazda 3, X5 V8
    Liked:
    Yup

bmw-toyota-sports-car-rendering-750x500-jpg.jpg
    leuxs-lf-lc-concept-front-three-quarter-view.jpg

14. Hank Lee

Hank Lee Active Member

Car(s):
    IS-F Ultrasonic Blue (2010)
    Liked:
    http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1077439_new-details-on-bmw-toyota-jointly-developed-sports-car

15. OP
    OP
    black-supra

black-supra Well-Known Member

Car(s):
    Very Fast
    Liked:
    This sounds like a totally modular platform which can be used for models of all sizes. Wonder if Toyota has any future plans for more than just one model. If it's a high tech lightweight scalable platform, I'd love to see them use it for more than one car.

supraboi likes this.