2020 3.0 Supra Knocking Noise

Msh21

First Name
Rum
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 3.0 Supra
Just came back from the gas station and noticed the car making a knocking/ticking noise

Seems like it is coming from near the gas tank but can't really tell

Been only filling up premium gas from Shell. Car is completely unmodified. I got the car with 7k miles on it after Toyota had to change the fuel pump

Any ideas on what it could be?
Sponsored

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra - Nocturnal Black
Just came back from the gas station and noticed the car making a knocking/ticking noise

Seems like it is coming from near the gas tank but can't really tell

Been only filling up premium gas from Shell. Car is completely unmodified. I got the car with 7k miles on it after Toyota had to change the fuel pump

Any ideas on what it could be?
Gonna need some more information. There's nothing really to.. knock there.

You mean when driving?

OP
OP

Msh21

First Name
Rum
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 3.0 Supra
Gonna need some more information. There's nothing really to.. knock there.

You mean when driving?
It's when the car isn't in motion. So just standing at a light or even when parked. Can't really record it since it's so faint but literally sounds like a knocking beat coming from near the gas tank.

Killswitch24

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
All the time? or very rarely?

I haven't experienced it in the Supra, but sometimes the evap system can make thumping noises when it's checking tank integrity.

OP
OP

Msh21

First Name
Rum
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 3.0 Supra
All the time? or very rarely?

I haven't experienced it in the Supra, but sometimes the evap system can make thumping noises when it's checking tank integrity.
Where is the evap system located?
It literally just started today. Gas station is like 5 minutes from my place so after filling up, every time I stopped at a light and when I parked the car, I kept hearing it (before turning off the car)

I was thinking maybe I overfilled on gas. I don't know if that's a thing. But I was going to drive it around a bit tomorrow to see if the noise continues.

baagel

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium, 2020 Challenger Hellcat
Shouldn't have overfilled unless you continued to top off after the pump clicked.
Since you mentioned Toyota replaced the fuel pump, it might be worthwhile to bring it in to them and have them listen to it.

OP
OP

Msh21

First Name
Rum
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 3.0 Supra
Shouldn't have overfilled unless you continued to top off after the pump clicked.
Since you mentioned Toyota replaced the fuel pump, it might be worthwhile to bring it in to them and have them listen to it.
I actually did continue to top off.

If the noise is still there tomorrow or returns are any point then I'll definitely be taking the car in right away!

darkknight302

First Name
Dang
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premiun
I actually did continue to top off.

If the noise is still there tomorrow or returns are any point then I'll definitely be taking the car in right away!
You should not ever top off. You will create more problems for yourself.

https://www.automoblog.net/topping-off-learn-why-you-should-never-top-off-your-gas-tank/

https://www.automoblog.net/topping-off-learn-why-you-should-never-top-off-your-gas-tank/

https://www.consumerreports.org/car-maintenance/should-you-top-off-your-cars-gas-tank-a1176503026/

Motorknut

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra RZ, BMW G20 gone:BMW F30, E85, E46
Where is the evap system located?
It literally just started today. Gas station is like 5 minutes from my place so after filling up, every time I stopped at a light and when I parked the car, I kept hearing it (before turning off the car)

I was thinking maybe I overfilled on gas. I don't know if that's a thing. But I was going to drive it around a bit tomorrow to see if the noise continues.
i noticed a noise that’s almost like a helicopter sound, happened twice - both after filling up the gas tank. Noise disappeared at the next start up. I have not filled the tank to the top since then, and the noise hasn't come back.

I suspect it’s Related to the tank ventilation valve, been meaning to release the gas filler cap next time it occurs to test the theory. Thinking that the gas station attendant may have overfilled on those occasions

Noise from fuel tank

3TMagnetMan

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 premium
Sounds like a hot exhaust as metal expands and cools. Makes ticks and knocking sounds. I could be wrong.

R_R8TED

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.pixelatedgamer.com
Car(s)
2021 Supra MKV 3.0, 2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
You just overfilled, I heard that once and under the exact same scenario, immediately after leaving the gas station. I was mixing for E30 and wanted to get a little more 93 in there to get the mixture perfect and over did it. As others have stated, just don't top off anymore in the future :thumbsup:

mvtte

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'22 Supra 3.0
You just overfilled, I heard that once and under the exact same scenario, immediately after leaving the gas station. I was mixing for E30 and wanted to get a little more 93 in there to get the mixture perfect and over did it. As others have stated, just don't top off anymore in the future :thumbsup:
your car runs fine? no CEL?
Sponsored