2020 or 2022?

D3ad_Hand

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 GR Supra
Sooooo recently I was looking for a new supra and idk if this is instinct or just my thought process but I dont trust any dealership that is not that car maker. I was looking up supras and stuff and jumped in the preowned section and to my surprise 2 2020 supras just sitting there one of them basically brand new with like 7k miles which is not bad at all. now comes the real question should I opt in for the 2020 or the 2022

2020: the lower price, and the ecu being tunable pull me over to it but mostly the price which is not bad. I don't trust off shelf tunes that's why a custom tune is big for me especially if im going to have anything on this car I will go into detail later on

2022: if I opt in for the 2022 I need to wait for it to arrive as the market in the UAE for supras is not that big so I have to wait for 2 months something like that then of course comes the services as soon as you own the car and all that stuff which im not looking forward to but i dont mind oh also the higher price as well. Moreover, if I go for a 2022 I will most likely get a jb4 but I dont trust off the shelf tunes at all plus the jb4 is targeted at the U.S market. Over here in the UAE we dont have ethanol gas stations. There are 3 gases that run over here 98, 95, 91. 98 which is what I'm going to be running always which is more like compared to the concentration of octane to that of E30 98 octane as the name suggests. I don't really care for a 48 or whatever it is hp bump doesn't matter to me.

However there are some things that I cant test or confirm with the 2020 with all the bad press and controversy it was in I cant really get an honest answer.

2020 problems?:

P.S this will be my daily driver not a track car it will have some mods here and there but nothing crazy.

1. bumper steer: the biggest thing people where complaining about. is it there or is it not. Some people claim it exists and effects there driving very much so. Some people say an alignment fixes it. Some say they don't feel it idk what to think. and before anyone suggest to get a VERKLINE suspension set there is no way I'm paying almost 7k for a suspension kit if not even more.

2. this is not more of a problem more like changes: so they had the chassis retuned, better e diff, better ESC, better steering, better dampers. IS there really that big of a difference between that you notice these things???

those are the changes/problems some people were talking about to all you 2020 supra owners what problems have you faced that I should be concerned about before buying this car? or should I go for the 2022?
Sponsored

puzzled

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra Premium; VA STI; MK7 GOLF-R; etc..
I would get the 2023 if you can wait.

romanLegion9574

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra 3.0, 2023 Toyota GRC Core
1. I did; an alignment fixed it. You won't need a full suspension kit.
2. I haven't seen anyone on the forums do this, and also, you're dailying your car and not tracking it. Everything you mentioned is really not necessary for you.

OP
OP
D3ad_Hand

D3ad_Hand

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 GR Supra
I would get the 2023 if you can wait.
on top of waiting a couple of months I dont wanna go for the manual as I said before this is a daily driver. Not a project car or track car. Granted manual is more fun but for the moment I am not looking for a manual

OP
OP
D3ad_Hand

D3ad_Hand

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 GR Supra
1. I did; an alignment fixed it. You won't need a full suspension kit.
2. I haven't seen anyone on the forums do this, and also, you're dailying your car and not tracking it. Everything you mentioned is really not necessary for you.
1. Thank god.
2. Yeah make sense. gonna go to the dealership soon to check it out

jtsang25

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2009 BMW 135i, 2020 Toyota GR Supra
on top of waiting a couple of months I dont wanna go for the manual as I said before this is a daily driver. Not a project car or track car. Granted manual is more fun but for the moment I am not looking for a manual
Not all 2023 are manual.

SupraGR21

First Name
Isaac
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota GR Supra Premium
I have a 2021 which should be the same as the 2022. Just want to add, I think there is a difference with the infotainment system right? Thought the 2020 had a smaller screen and no apple car play. Mines does and 2022 should have it.

If I’m wrong someone please correct me.

puzzled

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra Premium; VA STI; MK7 GOLF-R; etc..
Mine is a 2020 Premium and has wireless CarPlay. The display area appears to enlarge after the recall reflash, but I have no plan to get that done so don't know.

OP
OP
D3ad_Hand

D3ad_Hand

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 GR Supra
Not all 2023 are manual.
yeah I know but getting a supra here in the UAE is a hassle you have to order it and wait for it for a few months to get it. and Idk if its worth that wait when I can just go for a 2020

Brostradamus

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Toyota 4Runner, 2020 Toyota GR Supra 3.0 Prem
Mine is a 2020 Premium and has wireless CarPlay. The display area appears to enlarge after the recall reflash, but I have no plan to get that done so don't know.
I did the recall reflash on my 2020. Full screen CarPlay is where it’s at.

Also, it didn’t prevent me from unlocking my ECU afterwards and running EcuTek.

You should go get the recall done.

Matthewstorm

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0 Premium w/Carbon Fiber.
4, 8, 15, 16, 23, 42

Honestly, I use a drag alignment, I can dig up the specs on it if you're interested
I've never seen alignment numbers represented like this. It doesn't make any sense to me.
Sponsored