2020 Supra dealership|throttle body & mass airflow cleaning & evaporator core system service?($379.9!)

kaiv

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
E46, E39
The B58 regulates inlet air via Valvetronic. The throttle body is there as a failsafe. This is complete BS.
Sponsored

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra - Nocturnal Black
The B58 regulates inlet air via Valvetronic. The throttle body is there as a failsafe. This is complete BS.
I'm sorry what the fuck.

Yes, this is completely BS, but are you talking about VANOS/Cam Timing? The throttle body is absolutely not a fail-safe. I think you need to get your service manual back out.

Michael-Dallas

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2018 4Runner
I'm sorry what the fuck.

Yes, this is completely BS, but are you talking about VANOS/Cam Timing? The throttle body is absolutely not a fail-safe. I think you need to get your service manual back out.
Valvetronic-equipped engines rely on the amount of valve lift for load control, rather than a butterfly valve in the intake tract. In other words, in normal driving, the “gas pedal” controls the Valvetronic hardware rather than the throttle plate.

https://www.bmwblog.com/2016/07/25/valvetronic-bmws-innovative-throttle-system/

Is the throttle body a fail safe? It does seem redundant.

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)

Michael-Dallas

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2018 4Runner
Take the throttle blade out and get back to me.
Don’t need to and have no desire to spend the time & effort jacking with my mkv when the linked article explains what Valvetronic is and how it works. The video even reiterates the throttle body is a fail safe and the blade is open.

What’s your source that proves otherwise?

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Don’t need to and have no desire to spend the time & effort jacking with my mkv when the linked article explains what Valvetronic is and how it works. The video even reiterates the throttle body is a fail safe and the blade is open.

What’s your source that proves otherwise?
Well, TFA for one, and the fact the throttle blade is used heavily to regulate boost as a second.
In other words, in normal driving, the “gas pedal” controls the Valvetronic hardware rather than the throttle plate.
"Normal Driving" refers to driving a car to work and back, not under boost, where the B58 uses the throttle blade to regulate boost heavily. We rely heavily on the throttle body, and it's a key parameter for tuning. (Yes, the VANOS and Valve stuff is also in the logs; I don't log it because it's completely unnecessary, at least until cams aren't back ordered any more).

Also, "Valvetronic" controls like that don't respond quick enough for things like aggressive changes in load (launch) or WOT conditions.

Screen Shot 2022-10-26 at 17.59.33.png

Michael-Dallas

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2018 4Runner
Well, TFA for one, and the fact the throttle blade is used heavily to regulate boost as a second.

"Normal Driving" refers to driving a car to work and back, not under boost, where the B58 uses the throttle blade to regulate boost heavily. We rely heavily on the throttle body, and it's a key parameter for tuning. (Yes, the VANOS and Valve stuff is also in the logs; I don't log it because it's completely unnecessary, at least until cams aren't back ordered any more).

Also, "Valvetronic" controls like that don't respond quick enough for things like aggressive changes in load (launch) or WOT conditions.

Screen Shot 2022-10-26 at 17.59.33.png
That is interesting to know and TIL. I would have thought boost would be regulated with turbo wastegate. Thanks for the info.

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
That is interesting to know and TIL. I would have thought boost would be regulated with turbo wastegate. Thanks for the info.
It is! But in overboost conditions, the throttle body/blade once again operates as a fail-safe.

The thing about the throttle body/blade as a fail-safe, is "fail-safe" is used pretty often. It's not entirely redundant, despite what the phrase makes it sound like (emergency only).

Mason

First Name
Mason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0
Back on topic…

Did you get the biannual undercarriage waxing service?

kaiv

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
E46, E39
I'm sorry what the fuck.

Talking about Valvetronic! BMW's infinitly variable intake valve lift. It's really cool stuff. Engineering Explained has a video on it IIRC. My point was that the B58 uses a throttle-free load control like Michael said above. So the old "gotta clean the MAF and clean the TB" really doesn't apply here.

I just took a peek at the B58 PDF and it's true the TB is not just a fail safe:
With this system, a throttle valve is only used to stabilize the engine operation at critical operating points and to ensure a slight vacuum for the engine ventilation.
Take the throttle blade out and get back to me.
Of course it's all integrated and you can't just do that.

FWIW every documentation I've seen says the opposite, quicker response.
Sponsored