2020 Supra dealership|throttle body & mass airflow cleaning & evaporator core system service?($379.9!)

m010110

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Nitro Yellow Supra 2020
So I brought my 2020 Supra with about 11k miles on it to the dealership since I had ‘Break Fluid Service’ due which was $189.61(which I thought would be covered under warranty, but I scheduled appointments 2 different times before so I just went with it and paid them to do it when I found out during my third appointment when they were finally able to get the Supra Technician at the Service Center. *Phew*)
I was then suggested that I have them do a Throttle Body/ Mass Airflow Sensor cleaning($189.95) and Evaporator Foam Cleaner for the Evaporator Core System($189.95),

How common is this extra $379.9 price tag with MKV Supras?! I was looking online and these things don’t look very hard to do by myself and I’d be paying probably Max, $60-$80.. They seem like important things that need to be done, but does anyone have any experience with these add-ons at the…..dealership lol. I haven’t found anything on this. Any advice or DIY videos would be appreciated!

EDIT: I asked for notes on what needed to be done and they gave me this

E76D1112-4874-4F42-9803-A1C88E15B14B.jpeg

7ABC0C71-B57E-41A0-AE2E-84A634F478D5.jpeg
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP

m010110

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Nitro Yellow Supra 2020
1666740544598.png

Throttle body + sensor cleaning?
Yeah? I was like, ”no thank you.” They told me it was necessary right after they tried to get me to trade my car aka starting payments all over again for the very tempting 2023 MT. I’m thinking like, “How much money are they trying to make off me today, I just got done paying my tax guy😵💫

XtremeMaC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
I think you need to let people know the name of this scamster service center.

STV3

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra 3.0 Premium
All BS. You didn't need your brake fluid serviced at only 11k. Sounds like a real scummy dealership. Never go back there again.

OP
OP

m010110

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Nitro Yellow Supra 2020
I think you need to let people know the name of this scamster service center.
Lol this was Southern California, Thousand Oaks Service Center… I don’t think I’ll be going back after that experience.

Edit: Also apparently my rear tires were way overdue, and they offered me a buy 3 get 1 for $1. I was like, “I drove here fine, I can wait, I wasn’t expecting to spend this much money today.” Also my rear tires are definitely not as bad as they made me think.

Last edited:
Reactions: zrk

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra - Nocturnal Black
First, Supra doesn't have a MAF, it has MAP sensors. Second, they don't need cleaning. It's in a relatively close system (after the filter). The throttle body is in there too. Even if it was dirty, you wouldn't need to clean it.

Michael-Dallas

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2018 4Runner
All BS. You didn't need your brake fluid serviced at only 11k. Sounds like a real scummy dealership. Never go back there again.
BMW recommends brake fluid flush every 24 months, because brake fluid is hygroscopic. It’s also a catch-all if you’re hard on the brakes, and boil the fluid. The Germans like to have a maintenance schedule that keeps their vehicles in tip-top operating shape.

OP
OP

m010110

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Nitro Yellow Supra 2020
BMW recommends brake fluid flush every 24 months, because brake fluid is hygroscopic. It’s also a catch-all if you’re hard on the brakes, and boil the fluid. The Germans like to have a maintenance schedule that keeps their vehicles in tip-top operating shape.
This was the only real reason I went since I had a service update come up for it

Reactions: zrk

YellowJackit

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 MINI Clubman, 2023 BM X3, 2022 GR Supra
Review the recommended/required maintenance before walking through those doors.

I don't plan to keep my Supra very long, but I definitely wouldn't take it to any Toyota dealer near me if that changes.

Don't get me started on the mysterious GR oil that they never have on hand. They really need to let BMW sell these cars.

OP
OP

m010110

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Nitro Yellow Supra 2020
Review the recommended/required maintenance before walking through those doors.

I don't plan to keep my Supra very long, but I definitely wouldn't take it to any Toyota dealer near me if that changes.

Don't get me started on the mysterious GR oil that they never have on hand. They really need to let BMW sell these cars.
Sheesh I haven’t been told about the ‘GR oil’ before, mostly that their “’Supra Technician‘ isn’t in today” or something like that.

Other than that, with an appointment, usually if I bring my car in for an oil change at 8am, it usually won’t be until close to 5pm or close to when they’re closed when i’m able to pick it up finally. At least they give me a ride home sometimes 🤪Then I have to find a ride back 🤷🏻‍♂️

Good ole’ Toyota Customer Service….definitely not as reliable as their classic toyota’s used to be.
Sponsored