2020 Supra prototype at Goodwood Festival of Speed (photos/videos)

Will fake vents stop you from buying the new Supra?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

HKz

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
FRS
What I don’t get is.. why design a vent if it ain’t functional? I understand that on cheap cars. But if Toyota wants to spin this as its flagship.. why fake vents????

Even a ecoboost mustang doesn’t have fake vents. Come on toyota wtf
maybe not fake vents, but there is still plenty of "fakery" going on otherwise explain to me why the grill cutout is so much bigger than the actual open areas of the front end?

fb4ae553f721de7f45a45286dbff9602.jpg
Sponsored

Jdmuscle

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Yogi
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
94 Supra, 15 Viper, 16 Z06, 18 Shelby GT350, 15 IS350 F sport, 13 Vrod
Vehicle Showcase
Making vents functional that don't need to be functional seems like an odd choice. It's not going to happen. They are cosmetic, just like many other aspects of the design.

I don't really like using fake vents as a cosmetic design element, but they're part of the concept styling.

Fake vents used to bother me more, they're so commonly used now that I'm getting over it.

A "non-fake," open vent, with no purpose is just as bad.

Jeff
Agreed Jeff. With all the stuff that has gone into this car why not make them work and have a proper car that looks and works. Calty really dropped the ball if they wanted fake vents.

Jdmuscle

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Yogi
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase
maybe not fake vents, but there is still plenty of "fakery" going on otherwise explain to me why the grill cutout is so much bigger than the actual open areas of the front end?

fb4ae553f721de7f45a45286dbff9602.jpg
Something silly thing called aerodynamics. Hence the entire grill opening is not used. Look it up.. there are subtle difference in that opening even between a GT350 and GT350R. All based on a specific requirement. Nothing fake on even a mustang ecoboost.

HKz

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
FRS
Something silly thing called aerodynamics. Hence the entire grill opening is not used. Look it up.. there are subtle difference in that opening even between a GT350 and GT350R. All based on a specific requirement. Nothing fake on even a mustang ecoboost.
...that was exactly my point...if the entire grill opening is not used, why style the car to make it appear like it has a larger one? why didn't they style it to have a smaller mouth? there is no difference here

xantonin

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2003 Celica GT-S
I wish Toyota would decide between a future Supra design and FT-1 design... I don't feel they should be the same.

Jdmuscle

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Yogi
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase
...that was exactly my point...if the entire grill opening is not used, why style the car to make it appear like it has a larger one? why didn't they style it to have a smaller mouth? there is no difference here
Are you trying to defend the fake vents on the Supra? Lol

You make no sense.. carry on.. lol

Craigy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
M3, Lexus GX
Fake vents, fake canards, fake diffuser, makes you wonder, what else on this car is fake?

I really, really doubt that splitter, the skirts or the ducktail provide any functionality at all either.

I can sort of understand enlarging a functional grille with fake mesh for stylistic purposes. Yeah it makes a Mustang look a little better but it's still cheesy. Even on something like the McLaren 650 this looks super cheesy once you notice it.

At least it's not as bad as the Civic type R. The Japanese seem to take the fake vent thing to another level. It's like their design teams and marketing departments don't even know what a vent is supposed to do. Acura NSX bumper... just nauseating.

IMO the fake vents just for the sake of it is unforgivable. It's like wearing a $10 fake rolex that everyone can tell is fake from a mile away. Why even wear it. What's the point. It looks ridiculous, lessens the credibility of the car, makes the car look cheap. You might impress dummies who don't know any better, but you're alienating your core customers.

Rotaryrunner

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Mazda RX 8
Vehicle Showcase
+ very nice curvey body
+ sounds good, imagine it had an acrapovic exhaust
+ I like the athletic stance
+ good tire size

- Still camoed
- No specs
- That ducktail looks weird from behind
- Disappointed by toyotas "reveal"
- Fake vents
- Fake vents
- Fake vents
- Fake vents
- Fake vents

Sorry but I can't buy a car with closed fake vents no matter how good it drives. It's ugly and embarrassing.

Open fake vents are idiotic too, but I could live with them.

PerformanceSound

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Tundra TRD Pro, 1994 MKIV Supra TT
Vehicle Showcase
Are you thinking about the orange strips? I believe those are only required on European specs car.
Yep, sorry the orange strips. I thought the orange was mandatory on North American cars, and Europe and Asia got clear reflectors.

xantonin

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2003 Celica GT-S
Let's not forget, this is the same company that brought us the Celica Action Package "looks fast" commercials. They don't care about functional.

(And yes, I have a Celica with the TRD kit... lol) At least the hood scoop on that car was functional (cooled firewall/exhaust header)

Levi

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Alfa Romeo
Fake vents, fake canards, fake diffuser, makes you wonder, what else on this car is fake?

I really, really doubt that splitter, the skirts or the ducktail provide any functionality at all either.

I can sort of understand enlarging a functional grille with fake mesh for stylistic purposes. Yeah it makes a Mustang look a little better but it's still cheesy. Even on something like the McLaren 650 this looks super cheesy once you notice it.

At least it's not as bad as the Civic type R. The Japanese seem to take the fake vent thing to another level. It's like their design teams and marketing departments don't even know what a vent is supposed to do. Acura NSX bumper... just nauseating.

IMO the fake vents just for the sake of it is unforgivable. It's like wearing a $10 fake rolex that everyone can tell is fake from a mile away. Why even wear it. What's the point. It looks ridiculous, lessens the credibility of the car, makes the car look cheap. You might impress dummies who don't know any better, but you're alienating your core customers.

To be honest, other than the old Elise/Exige, Ariel and BAC Mono, every car has something fake, even Porsche, Lamborghini and Ferrari.

But yes, I want car design to return to this:
9096531274664d1362201923-here-is-my-1992-lexus-sc400-imag0683.jpg

No huge grill, fake vents, just classy clean design.

Nurburgring

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
911 Turbo, M3 E46, Turbocharged NA Miata, S2000, Mazda FC3S & FD3S, EP91 Starlet, EK9 Type R, EG6 Sir2, AE86, 3SGE AE86, Evo7RS, F3 race car
Sounds great.
Big brakes.
Big exhaust piping.
Nice tire setup.
Iron block and 3100lbs almost 100% confirmed.

Supra@Goodwood has already exceeded my expectations.
I`m optimistic about the final performance.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.