2020 Supra Transmission Chat - Manual, Dual Clutch, or Auto?

What kind of transmission are you hoping for?

• Manual

Votes: 72 68.6%
  • DCT

Votes: 26 24.8%
  • Auto

Votes: 7 6.7%

• Total voters

SupraWalala

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Rav 4
Just wondering how important manual transmission is? Will the manual transmission affect your buying decision?
Sponsored

HKz

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
FRS
if the car's performance is up to par with competitors without a stick then it isn't a deal breaker....but if the driving experience does turn out disappointing then that fact would merely be one of the reasons I wouldn't get one, not just because of a lack of a manual.

Between DCT & a TC I really don't care, they both have their pros/cons, as long as the system doesn't auto up shift in manual mode and has quick shifts under WOT.

airjonny

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2018 Ecoboost Mustang
If I was in the market for one, it would be high on the list, but I wouldn't care too much if it had a fast DCT or ZF 8 speed.

zigzagz94

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BRZ, 3g Eclipse
I was quoting above to ask if anyone knew the manual take rate on the FRS-BRZ-86 is... can someone confirm it’s close to 50%?

I assume the same type of buyer. If the take rate was 10% I could understand not offering it, but if it’s 50%, that’s just Toyota not listening to their current and potential buyers!!! :bat:
https://www.kbb.com/car-news/all-the-latest/2017-subaru-brz-first-review/2100000845/

According to Kelley Blue Book in 2016 it was 75% manual take rate for the BRZ:

"Manual transmission models, which account for an astounding 75 percent take rate, receive a 5-pony boost to 205 horsepower and 5-bump torque increase to 156 lb-ft from the BRZ's 2.0-liter naturally aspirated flat-4 engine."

Last edited:

simply put

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
bus
https://blog.caranddriver.com/more-...al-remains-possible-a-v-8-fits-and-much-more/

car and driver interview with Tetsuya Tada, supra and 86 chief engineer. main takeaways.

1) there's still time for a manual! e-mail like porsche enthusiasts did to get the GT3 manual to toyota and you'll get it.
2) V8 fits!
3) race car developed along side road car ala corvette.
4) no brake based torque vertoring. real diff torque shift only.
5) Z4 and supra share almost zero visible parts. it'll get it's own interior.
6) release date mid 2019. the rumors are true. debut most likely in detroit.

vb22

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
SC300

DevonK

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
TBD
While it may not be good news, it makes sense from a marketing standpoint that there would be a long break between the concept and production unveiling. Why spend a fortune doing a prototype if it is going to be overshadowed by the release of the production car a few weeks later? The prototype should keep interest in the car up for months.

2jztks

First Name
derek
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
95 supra
They didn't give us the motor we wanted at least give us a trans we want???:hmm:
Sponsored