2020 Supra Transmission Chat - Manual, Dual Clutch, or Auto?

What kind of transmission are you hoping for?

• Manual

Votes: 72 68.6%
  • DCT

Votes: 26 24.8%
  • Auto

Votes: 7 6.7%

• Total voters

Craigy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
M3, Lexus GX
Well for what it's worth, Alfa Romeo, BMW (sans M3/4), Aston Martin, Bentley, Jaguar, and Maserati all use the ZF 8HP almost exclusively in their sports cars.

But no manual still sucks ass. :dunno:
IMO that's not worth much considering only BMW, perhaps Alfa are worthy comparisons, and that statement is untrue for both of those brands. BMW M2, M3, M4, M5, M6 all have a DCT or stick and Alfa uses a DCT in their 4C and I'm pretty sure a magazine told me the Giulia comes with a stick too.

Though I think the same magazine told me the upcoming M5 uses a ZF, so I imagine the replacement M6 will as well, though how much you can call a big 4wd sedan a sportscar is questionable, though I'll try not to go down that rabbit hole. But again "almost exclusively" is an untruth.

Bentley, Jag, Maserati are all old-man mobiles. Also I think the F-type, Vantage can be had with a manual? Aston IMO hasn't wanted to be taken seriously in a long time, still producing the same old cars with new skins for something like 20 years now.

Perhaps I should have said all of the legitimate sportscars, excluding pure old-man mobiles, either come with a DCT, a stick, or on rare occasions an F1 style automated single-clutch. :p:p

Though really there's a good argument to be made that cars like the Porsche 911 or Corvette are all old man cars too. :rofl:

FR-S Demon

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2013 Scion FR-S
Once we know the official price range of the Supra, those of you who were going to buy the car but will not be buying it because it doesn't have a manual transmission need to make it clear to your Toyota head office within your country by writing to them. If you were willing to put your money where your mouth is (like I was willing to do), you need to formally let Toyota know that they have lost a customer. Tell them also what new car you are buying instead. If enough people do this, maybe they will get the message and decide to develop a manual version next year. Speak up and show them why their market research is wrong!

Modal170

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Once we know the official price range of the Supra, those of you who were going to buy the car but will not be buying it because it doesn't have a manual transmission need to make it clear to your Toyota head office within your country by writing to them. If you were willing to put your money where your mouth is (like I was willing to do), you need to formally let Toyota know that they have lost a customer. Tell them also what new car you are buying instead. If enough people do this, maybe they will get the message and decide to develop a manual version next year. Speak up and show them why their market research is wrong!

Kind of weird they say they buy a porsche every year to practice what a sports car is when it always have an option for a manual.

The best way to get Toyota's attention is skipping the Supra to get the toyota 86 that comes with a manual

:rofl:

Be like Chris from Everybody Hates Chris where he sucks in comparison to Drew.

HKz

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
FRS
Tetsuya Tada is an idiot. One look into Ebay Motors will tell you if people want Manual or Automatic Toyota Supra. Sure, the sales "hit" from not having a manual transmission is small, but don't tell me what Supra Fans want.

Dear Toyota: Supra Fans, and regular car drivers are hungry for a manual car. What will they buy in manual? VW? Cadillac?

Car so far looks like BMW Z4 GTE, short. BWM interior plus drivetrain. No Manual. Screw this car. It's the nicest BMW Z4 that Toyota designed for them. Car seems rushed. Unfinished prototype race car at the car show. WTF? My Spec Miata looks more professional inside.

Over hyped car of the century. I'll keep my MKIVs.
they haven't released anything yet so how is it rushing? lol. this is all for building ridiculous hype without showing all their cards yet.

Nothing an angle grinder can't fix! :wave:
maybe the Z4's console can be swapped in if that gets a manual option

tfoxyr

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
suzuki swift sport
I see most of you guys are dissapointed about the manual . I became dissapointed in general when some details were beggining to emerge , because it was clear to me that many things were compromised . I mean this car is a z4 without the canvas over the seats(something that has been done in the past solely by BMW) and they go ahead and market it as a supra , it is a very cheap thing to try to get some sales because of something better engineers built . Tada can be a good engineer , but certainly not for sports cars , at least at the moment . Toyota havenät built a sports car since about 2006 i think with the mr2 , the 86 is mostly a subaru , it has flat 4 engine also it rides on impreza modified platform . The new supra is a reskinned z4 , other car makers make their own sports cars , and keep in mind poorer car makers do it . It certainly makes toyota seem cheap having a bmw as a toyota halo vehicle .

HKz

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
FRS
@HKz, not a big fan of replying to you, but go read the interview with Tada.
LOL supra fans sure get butthurt :thumbsup: think you're the only one that thought they are rushing this, virtually everyone else here thinks they are taking way too long..guess ya can't please anyone!

here we go for another 10 months, let's see them "rush" it

Last edited:

Rotaryrunner

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Mazda RX 8
Vehicle Showcase
Keep calm and wait for official data.
If it is not what you wanted don't buy it.

I would be glad to get an rx7/8 successor no matter how many seats it has or what kind of gearbox.

But it looks like I'll never ever get one.

So maybe it'll be a 370HP 2 seater automatic Supra wich looks damn awesome .

mas921

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Several RWD's
Last edited:

Guff

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A80, A90, Mk1 Celica
Vehicle Showcase
IMO that's not worth much considering only BMW, perhaps Alfa are worthy comparisons, and that statement is untrue for both of those brands. BMW M2, M3, M4, M5, M6 all have a DCT or stick and Alfa uses a DCT in their 4C and I'm pretty sure a magazine told me the Giulia comes with a stick too.

Though I think the same magazine told me the upcoming M5 uses a ZF, so I imagine the replacement M6 will as well, though how much you can call a big 4wd sedan a sportscar is questionable, though I'll try not to go down that rabbit hole. But again "almost exclusively" is an untruth.

Bentley, Jag, Maserati are all old-man mobiles. Also I think the F-type, Vantage can be had with a manual? Aston IMO hasn't wanted to be taken seriously in a long time, still producing the same old cars with new skins for something like 20 years now.

Perhaps I should have said all of the legitimate sportscars, excluding pure old-man mobiles, either come with a DCT, a stick, or on rare occasions an F1 style automated single-clutch. :p:p

Though really there's a good argument to be made that cars like the Porsche 911 or Corvette are all old man cars too. :rofl:
I meant "exclusively" as in they only use the ZF box and not other slushboxes. Just trying to note that the ZF box is used in a lot of sports cars, and it's a pretty good trans.

Jeff Lange

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
AE86, GSE21

2jztks

First Name
derek
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
95 supra
V160,V160 say it with me,:D us all together they just hear us in JAPAN!!!!!!

Give me a MK4 anyday:nixon:

zedsix

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Somecar
Dafuq?!

www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2018/03/will-the-toyota-supra-get-a-manual-transmission-there-s-hope.html/

Tada is speaking through a translator.. o_O ...Did Autoblog misinterpret what he said or was it a click bait? Or is Toyota intentionally trying to measure the market potential of a manual offering by such friggen polarizing headlines?

Seriously ..WTF is going on here?
I really hope the translator got it wrong, you could say I would be one extremely butthurt person! I ain't driving no auto sports car unless it's a a supercar.
Sponsored