2020 Supra Transmission Chat - Manual, Dual Clutch, or Auto?

What kind of transmission are you hoping for?

• Manual

Votes: 72 68.6%
  • DCT

Votes: 26 24.8%
  • Auto

Votes: 7 6.7%

• Total voters

Guff

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A80, A90, Mk1 Celica
Vehicle Showcase
Hey Toyota.. I present to you the interior of 2018 Car of the year, hint hint.

4a2a3944-f711-4742-9945-b1a40ab87ef0.jpg
Lol, sadly not available with a manual in North America.

But it does come with the ZF 8HP. And it's really good. :p:bonk:

LEG1T

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
91' Nsx

But it does come with the ZF 8HP. And it's really good. :p:bonk:
I know, i'm fighting this auto thing with a passion but everyday I read here its like a loosing battle. I was watching the ZF8 very impressive but that's still a second choice and a tough pill to swallow.

We need a Miracle.

Guff

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A80, A90, Mk1 Celica
Vehicle Showcase
I know, i'm fighting this auto thing with a passion but everyday I read here its like a loosing battle. I was watching the ZF8 very impressive but that's still a second choice and a tough pill to swallow.

We need a Miracle.
I'm with you man. I've never owned an auto car myself, so this one definitely cuts straight to the heart. As sad as it may seem, at least we will always have the aftermarket. Won't be cheap but at least it'll be possible.

decryphe

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1984 AE86 Trueno GT-Apex 2-door, and a Camry
I'd say nearly all auto makers will have automatic only lineups by 2020 (at the latest) unless they spend a ton of money to figure out how to allow the car to take over the manual trans, clutch, etc and not stall the engine when implementing AEB.
Disconnecting the engine from the wheels would be supremely easy, they would just need to use the same tech they used in my '92 Camry for the cruise control. It's literally a box that pulls on the throttle wire - slightly creepy when the accelerator pedal physically moves itself, but it works. Just pull on the clutch line and you've got a self-disconnecting car.
Then use the probably available rev-matching tech to engage it again in case the emergency goes away - or wait until the driver has put the car in the proper gear to disengage the clutch mechanism.

Fortunately I'm in Switzerland, we get everything with a manual that's been developed with a manual.

I'm with you man. I've never owned an auto car myself, so this one definitely cuts straight to the heart. As sad as it may seem, at least we will always have the aftermarket. Won't be cheap but at least it'll be possible.
Unfortunately I'm in Switzerland, homologating a new drivetrain is going to go for about 30-40kUSD in testing procedures and documentation. Since this is the Supra after all, it might be possible to share with other enthusiasts that want this car with a manual and homologate a conversion kit (which I'm sure will come around).
Especially since we don't have those retarded "it has to have safety systems" rules. Auto makers here are still allowed to build and sell cars without air bags even. It'll get horrid ECAP star ratings, but who cares? If you want to endanger yourself, I think that should be everyone's right to do so.

MA617M

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
lots
yeah, you could so add another ABS module on the clutch system. pressure the system, disengage release bearing, done.

maybe this was why toyota did that front drive transmission that shifts itself back to neutral.... makes perfect sense.

PUT THE SAME SYSTEM IN THE A90 YOU MUTTS

Guff

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A80, A90, Mk1 Celica
Vehicle Showcase
yeah, you could so add another ABS module on the clutch system. pressure the system, disengage release bearing, done.

maybe this was why toyota did that front drive transmission that shifts itself back to neutral.... makes perfect sense.

PUT THE SAME SYSTEM IN THE A90 YOU MUTTS
That system didn't make it past development stage sadly. Been trying to find out why, but I couldn't find an answer.

Lexusisf

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2009 Lexus-ISF
My ISF is an 8 speed auto with paddle shifters, but 8 is too many as there is a lot of range in the lower gears and believe 6 maybe would have made the car alot more fun...This may have been covered earlier but do we know how many gears the auto Supra will have? 6?

Modal170

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
My ISF is an 8 speed auto with paddle shifters, but 8 is too many as there is a lot of range in the lower gears and believe 6 maybe would have made the car alot more fun...This may have been covered earlier but do we know how many gears the auto Supra will have? 6?
Does the isf have a zf8?

I thought the zf8 was your normal 6 gear and then two more gears to improve mpg effeciency

A70TTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
ST205 GT4, JZA70, JZA70 TT-R, S210 Athlete
Not the same ballpark as the ZF8 though in terms of speed or feel unfortunately.

Techwalk

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Mazda
so, at this point there are exactly 4 years to make all cars compatible with AEB. Toyota made TSS standard in 2016 and apparently make AEB standard at the end of 2017.

I'd say nearly all auto makers will have automatic only lineups by 2020 (at the latest) unless they spend a ton of money to figure out how to allow the car to take over the manual trans, clutch, etc and not stall the engine when implementing AEB. Right now there are already other cars in the US that have had AEB (did not know this), but they are auto only
That may be incorrect, apparently bmw and Mazda have it in manual cars.
https://www.thecarconnection.com/news/1108673_manual-transmissions-will-survive-heres-how-and-why

Last edited:

A70TTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
ST205 GT4, JZA70, JZA70 TT-R, S210 Athlete
Yes, it appears they do exist but they stall the car making it a dangerous system. It also opens up the door for lawsuits.

In order to be viable, the system needs to be able to engage the clutch and change gears.

decryphe

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1984 AE86 Trueno GT-Apex 2-door, and a Camry
Yes, it appears they do exist but they stall the car making it a dangerous system.
AEB is for stopping the car. If the engine stalls, that's a non-issue in my opinion.
Sponsored