2020 Supra Transmission Chat - Manual, Dual Clutch, or Auto?

What kind of transmission are you hoping for?

• Manual

Votes: 72 68.6%
  • DCT

Votes: 26 24.8%
  • Auto

Votes: 7 6.7%

• Total voters

A70TTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
ST205 GT4, JZA70, JZA70 TT-R, S210 Athlete
I got some clarification, not that it was needed, in that the manual thing was specifically in regards to BMW systems integration and not being worthwhile. I had thought to a degree that they were not willing to spend in general due to the way this was explained, but that apparently was an incorrect assumption.

Low take, lesser production overall, and no incentive for other Toyota cars due to being bmw based in this case. So it is all about money in other words.

Some newer vehicles will still be developed/available in manual as a result.
Sponsored

decryphe

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1984 AE86 Trueno GT-Apex 2-door, and a Camry
I got some clarification, not that it was needed, in that the manual thing was specifically in regards to BMW systems integration and not being worthwhile. I had thought to a degree that they were not willing to spend in general due to the way this was explained, but that apparently was an incorrect assumption.

Low take, lesser production overall, and no incentive for other Toyota cars due to being bmw based in this case. So it is all about money in other words.

Sad news, so no need to hope for anything - but at least I can sleep now at night.

I'll be getting an Elise 220R or 250 Cup then. It's more Toyota than the Supra and comes with a manual. Thanks for the ride, was fun!

mas921

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Several RWD's
I probably would eventually swap a manual, but it would be after warranty for sure. Plus, developing a kit to work with the electronics, proper bell housing, shift linkage, clutch pedal assembly, slave cylinder, etc etc will probably take a couple years.
this is why I won't bother. perhaps if i build a 2nd hand car for pure track/drift. but i don't feel like cutting and drilling a $60+k car

Levi

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Alfa Romeo
this is why I won't bother. perhaps if i build a 2nd hand car for pure track/drift. but i don't feel like cutting and drilling a $60+k car
The only reason it is more interesting to build anything on a new car, is because of better more solid chassis. This, engine optimization thanks to better calibration/development tech, and fit and finish are the only areas where newer cars are better than old. All the rest is useless gimmick.

Levi

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Alfa Romeo
Assumptions:

You are getting the Supra
Supra does not have a manual transmission
there is aftermarket manual transmission

Question:

Will you do this modification or you will save the money for some other modifications?
What about manual parking brake? The Supra has e-brake. The Honda CRZ had both depending on years.

Manual transmission and manual parking brake:
Honda-CR-Z-2013-1280-05.jpg

Automatic transmission and electronic parking brake:
2016-Honda-CR-Z-Coupe-Hatchback-LX-2dr-Hatchback-Photo-6.jpg

Jeff Lange

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
AE86, GSE21
I would be fine with whatever parking brake it has, as long as it's not a foot pedal that gets in the way of my clutch pedal, but it wouldn't be that.

Jeff

zedsix

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Somecar
You know what, I'll put it all down to money and politics at Toyota.

Unfortunately it is what it is and if Toyota take the direction of cutting the manual from the Supra then I am sure a lot of new generation (young guns) buying the car and enjoying it for what its got will give them enough numbers to end production within a short time span (IMO).

As cut up as I am about this I'll keep my MKIV's and move onto something different similar to the decryphe (Elise).

SupraFiend

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
5 Supras currently
I would never buy a slush box supra. A DCT is tolerable as it is essentially a manual transmission with servos and generally they are tuned so you can hold gears, but real slush boxes almost always will override your inputs in some occasion. Plus, they suck for launch control. Plus, they are much heavier and less efficient then real manual boxes.

The DCT option will be tolerable, but will suck for upgrading and clutch replacements will be mega money. The car as a tuning platform will be more limited. Here's a clutch kit for a GTR, only 7grand!
http://sheptrans.com/product/gtr-r35/pro-max/

I think a manual swap with new components would be cheaper lol

But who wants to buy a new car and have to do a manual swap. You pretty much will be forced to go to standalone or at least convert your ECU to one from an M3/4 with manual. ECU software on new cars is way too tightly coupled to the transmission these days to make this a simple affair. Good bye warranty. The stick is going to be the difference for most between buying this thing as a daily driver to possibly lightly mod, and people buying this to build project cars from.

Levi

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Alfa Romeo
I would never buy a slush box supra. A DCT is tolerable as it is essentially a manual transmission with servos and generally they are tuned so you can hold gears, but real slush boxes almost always will override your inputs in some occasion. Plus, they suck for launch control. Plus, they are much heavier and less efficient then real manual boxes.

The DCT option will be tolerable, but will suck for upgrading and clutch replacements will be mega money. The car as a tuning platform will be more limited. Here's a clutch kit for a GTR, only 7grand!
http://sheptrans.com/product/gtr-r35/pro-max/

I think a manual swap with new components would be cheaper lol

But who wants to buy a new car and have to do a manual swap. You pretty much will be forced to go to standalone or at least convert your ECU to one from an M3/4 with manual. ECU software on new cars is way too tightly coupled to the transmission these days to make this a simple affair. Good bye warranty. The stick is going to be the difference for most between buying this thing as a daily driver to possibly lightly mod, and people buying this to build project cars from.
DCT also overrides if rpm too low or if rpm too high.

HKz

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
FRS
have you not driven a modern TC? Either the 8 speed from AISIN or ZF, they don't exhibit the behaviors you are concerned with, they nearly have the same programming as a modern auto DCT...they don't auto upshift or downshift (unless revvs are < 1 K) and many BMWs with the ZF8 feature proper launch control. As far as weight is concerned pretty sure DCTs are the heaviest out of the 3 options as TCs don't weigh that much more than a traditional stick (only a 50 pound difference between 86's manual and TC).

Lexusisf

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2009 Lexus-ISF
My Lexus ISF operates exactly as HKz explains (still has too many gears at 8) but in sport mode the shifts are very quick and some describe it as one of the best...some posts suggesting, depending on the car, to stay away from a DCT...

Reactions: HKz

Levi

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Alfa Romeo
I am not a fan of rev matching manual. In that case buy an auto/dct, it also rev matches instead of you. I am also not a fan of hill start assist. Does not work for every situation.

mas921

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Several RWD's

Thanks for sharing this. For some reason I feel less disappointed with the whole lack of manual now...

Since it's all about money; as this poll grow or the loss of prospects whom expected a manual may get things moving...perhaps?

P.s.: Speaking of going for another car; I never imagined I would enjoy a 3800lb Camaro! Test drove a "manual" ZL1: A friggen rocket! (albeit as heavy as one too :p) always considred muscle cars as straight line only machines; but daaamn I was wrong; big time! Wasn't even 1LE equipped
Sponsored