2020 Toyota Supra production to begin 2018, by Magna Steyr, Austrian manufacturer

Status
Not open for further replies.

mkivalex

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1993 MKIV Supra TT 6SPD
I used to work for a Magna plant in Toronto. So I should basically get it for free. Right?
Sponsored

vb22

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
SC300
I imported a Nissan Xterra from Seattle to Vancouver, but it's not that easy and there is a process to go through at the border. Some brands wont allow this...not sure about Toyota...
I see, well you guys could just come live down here; to a real country, jk. :patriot: :p

796996493534287428.gif

2JZ-No-Sh*t

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
My feet
SMH to those that want a crappy 4 banger so they can afford one. Thats like saying "Hey Lexus, I love your LC, but I can't pay the $90k price tag. Could you just drop in the 2.0t and sell it for $50k instead?"

I'm not saying there shouldn't be a more afford version. But instead of watering down the drivetrain how about less options. Cloth seats, no power seats, no navigation system, and etc. Think Supra SE. ;)

Lexusisf

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2009 Lexus-ISF
SMH to those that want a crappy 4 banger so they can afford one. Thats like saying "Hey Lexus, I love your LC, but I can't pay the $90k price tag. Could you just drop in the 2.0t and sell it for $50k instead?"

I'm not saying there shouldn't be a more afford version. But instead of watering down the drivetrain how about less options. Cloth seats, no power seats, no navigation system, and etc. Think Supra SE. ;)
Highly unlikely the 4 banger is coming to North America...

BRZer86

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 Jaguar XJL Portfolio
Highly unlikely the 4 banger is coming to North America...
Lord, I hope it never does. I can respect the engineering aspect of cranking out efficient HP out of a 4 banger, but when it comes to a car with the heritage of the Surpa, it just becomes a.....BR..ahh never mind.

supraboi

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A70, GS300
http://europe.autonews.com/article/...magna-steyr-will-build-bmw-toyota-sports-cars

Magna Steyr will build BMW, Toyota sports cars

Contract manufacturer Magna Steyr will build two new sports cars jointly developed by BMW and Toyota, industry sources familiar with the matter told Automotive News Europe.

Toyota previewed its car with the GR Supra Racing Concept at the Geneva auto show on March 6. The production coupe will revive the Supra badge. It will go on sale in the first half of next year.

Toyota said in Geneva that it will use its Supra sports car to act as a halo model to bring more emotional appeal to the brand.

BMW will debut its version, a roadster, in the summer based on the Z4 concept it showed at the Monterey Car Week in Pebble Beach California last August.

Magna International declined to say whether its Magna Steyr unit will build the cars. "No announcement has been made by BMW or Toyota and we are therefore unable to comment," a spokesman said.

Automakers use Magna Steyr's factory in Graz, Austria, to build niche cars or as an overflow production facility when their own plants are running at full capacity.

Captain_Kirk

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
?
Magna wins BMW contract to assemble Z4 roadster

Magna International Inc. has won a contract with BMW AG that will increase vehicle production at its auto manufacturing plant in Graz, Austria.

BMW has awarded the Canadian auto parts giant a contract to assemble its Z4 roadster, Magna said Tuesday.

Production is scheduled to begin late this year and will bring to five the number of vehicle lines Magna is producing at its Magna Steyr operation for various auto makers.

The plant already assembles internal combustion and hydrid engine versions of BMW’s 5-series sedans, as well as the G-class sport utility vehicle for the Mercedes-Benz division of Daimler AG and two models for Jaguar.

The Magna division has been assembling vehicles for BMW since 2003.

Recent contracts have led to the hiring of 3,000 people, taking employment to 10,000 people at Graz, where Magna also has engineering centres and other operations.

Production could hit full capacity of 200,000 vehicles at the assembly operation this year, a spokesman for Magna’s European operations said.

The Aurora, Ont.-based parts company is constructing a paint shop in Slovenia, 75 kilometres from Graz to ease bottlenecks in the paint shop in the Austrian plant.
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/business/article-magna-wins-bmw-contract-to-assemble-z4-roadster/

Status
Not open for further replies.