2020 Toyota Supra production to begin 2018, by Magna Steyr, Austrian manufacturer

Status
Not open for further replies.

supraboi

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A70, GS300
http://canada.autonews.com/article/20180813/CANADA01/308139996/n.a.-auto-plant-for-magna-steyr?

N.A. auto plant for Magna Steyr?

Economic development officials constantly monitor the industry for the next automaker needing a North American assembly plant. But one global manufacturer might surprise them: Magna International.

Magna CEO Don Walker is keeping his options open on building the company's first North American vehicle assembly plant, for its Magna Steyr subsidiary.

Steyr has no plan in the works, Walker says, but he will build a plant here if customers give him cause.

"We get a lot of requests," Walker told Automotive News of the idea of building vehicles in North America. "It's typically a unique vehicle, or a peak volume. But I think that if we had a plant here we'd be getting a lot of business."

Steyr, a wholly owned subsidiary of the Canadian parts giant, is unique in automaking: a contract manufacturer that operates one vehicle assembly plant, in Graz, Austria. Graz builds the BMW 5 series, Jaguar I-Pace, Jaguar E-Pace and Mercedes-Benz G class. In June, the company said it will produce the redesigned BMW Z4.

The plant is expected to turn out about 200,000 vehicles this year.

That is where North America emerges as a plant scenario: The Graz site is maxing out on capacity as Steyr continues to grow, Walker says. In April, Steyr inked a partnership to develop a next-generation electric vehicle architecture for Chinese automaker BAIC Motor Corp. Magna also partners with ride-hailing business Lyft on new-generation autonomous vehicles.

"We're over capacity in the next couple of years as we continue to launch new vehicles," Walker says. "If we continue to get business over at Magna Steyr, then we would expand to a second location. It's a possibility that we continue to look at."

North America is an option, as is China, he says.

"But putting up a brand-new plant takes a lot of money," he says. "We'd need the commitment of two to three customers to build a plant."

More than a decade ago, Magna discussed producing small-volume vehicles in the U.S. for unidentified customers.

Walker says Magna knows of available brownfield plant capacity in North America — not just the possibility of greenfield investment.

"We look at all options," he says. "If there's an available plant around, we'd consider it.

"The biggest cost driver for an assembly plant is the paint shop. Is it capable? Can you modify it to meet specifications?

"And logistics," he adds, musing over site considerations. "You almost always have to put in a new body shop and a new general assembly."
Sponsored

johnny_10196

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ford
BMW Z4 G29: Production starts at Magna Steyr in Graz

BMW_Z4_G29-Magna-Steyr.jpg

Series production of the new BMW Z4 Roadster G29 has begun. The first Z4 of the new generation left the production line at Magna Steyr in Graz last Friday. Since then, production has continued with its regular scheduling. Nevertheless, the first customers will not receive the Roadster until next spring, with the market launch scheduled for March 2019.

In addition to the complete vehicle, all engines of the BMWG29 Z4 come from Austria. Both the turbocharged four-cylinder in the BMW Z4 sDrive30i and sDrive20i and the turbocharged in-line six-cylinder B58 of the BMW Z4 M40i come from the BMW Motorenwerk Steyr.

In addition to the BMW G29 Z4, the G30 5 Series is currently being built at Magna Steyr in Graz. The two current models continue a long history, because from 2003 to 2010, the first generation of the BMW X3 (E83) was built in the same factory. From 2010 to 2016, Graz was home to various MINI models.

Since the start of production in 2003, more than 1.2 million BMW and MINI have been built in Graz. The engine numbers are even larger and more impressive, with more than 1.3 million engines for BMW and MINI being built here each year in Austria. For example, around half of all BMW Group vehicles sold worldwide carry an engine from Steyr under the bonnet.
https://www.bmwblog.com/2018/11/07/bmw-z4-g29-production-starts-at-magna-steyr-in-graz/

A70TTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
ST205 GT4, JZA70, JZA70 TT-R, S210 Athlete
I think BMW will easily hit their targets, but I've heard several times now that the Supra will be fairly limited for 2019 (6k is the highest number I've heard). Either way, we will know next year.

McWicked

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Stutz Bearcat
Vehicle Showcase
I think BMW will easily hit their targets, but I've heard several times now that the Supra will be fairly limited for 2019 (6k is the highest number I've heard). Either way, we will know next year.
I assume that 6K would be global production, yes?

A70TTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Yes, but one other person quoted 3500, and that figure matches another piece of information that I can't reveal, but regardless of the large variance in estimates it should be far more limited than the Z4.

Last edited:

McWicked

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Stutz Bearcat
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, but one other person quoted 3500, and that figure matches another piece of information that I can't reveal, but regardless of the large variance in estimates it should be far more limited than the Z4.
Any hints about the makeup the initial production run? 4 cyl vs 6 cyl etc...

A70TTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Nah, nothing that cool.

I hear very little as far as specific details anymore. I get bits and pieces and high level summaries on some stuff, but overall not a lot.

DevonK

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
TBD
Restricted production volume implies high prices, and in the US at least fat ADMs, as seen with the Focus RS and Civic Type R rollouts.

McWicked

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Stutz Bearcat
Vehicle Showcase
I sort of get the feeling that Toyota is treating MY2020 like an early beta release. And should the car prove to be successful and have a long run, the 2020 cars will be seen as an oddball 2019.5 model.

factsaboutrats

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 LX570 2014 LandSmasher
Restricted production volume implies high prices, and in the US at least fat ADMs, as seen with the Focus RS and Civic Type R rollouts.
Back in the day we never had more than one Supra in stock at a time, and went long periods with none. This is a low volume vehicle, no matter if it's $20,000 or $60,000

DevonK

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
TBD
Back in the day we never had more than one Supra in stock at a time, and went long periods with none. This is a low volume vehicle, no matter if it's $20,000 or $60,000
Getting a test drive around here is going to be impossible, dealers just won't stock demonstrators, and nobody is going to want their pre-ordered Supra being used for test drives by others.

Blupra

First Name
Blu
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BMW M2 and Honda S2000 - both 6MT
Getting a test drive around here is going to be impossible, dealers just won't stock demonstrators, and nobody is going to want their pre-ordered Supra being used for test drives by others.
I agree this is a problem with low production cars. I couldn't get any of the local BMW dealers to let me drive an M2 the first 18 months or so after they came out. I wont buy a car without some seat time so I didn't end up purchasing one until 2 years after they came out.

factsaboutrats

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 LX570 2014 LandSmasher
Nah, we'll have stock cars. No one will order one without a test drive, and there will be enough to do that with.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.