2021 Supra Prices Revealed!

Guff

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A80, A90, Mk1 Celica
Vehicle Showcase
I haven't driven the 2.0 (obviously) but a different feel could easily be the lesser suspension that comes on it.
If you fill up and put a 200 lbs driver in each, the weight difference between both cars is 5-6%. Now I'm sorry, but unless you're a professional racing driver, you're not going to notice that :dunno:

Shittier shocks however, you will notice immediately. Throw in an open diff, and you have your different feel.

Just my 2 cents.
Disagree very, very strongly here haha. Let me explain. Almost any driver will notice a 220lb difference. It is extremely noticeable and changes almost every aspect of the cars movement. As soon as you move the steering wheel, you can notice an immediacy in input over the 3.0. At the limit the 2.0 has a much wider margin, far more forgiving than the 3.0 (on the same tire and width keep in mind) And the suspension in the 2.0 isn't 'lesser', it's just not active. It's still springs and dampers in a MacP and MultiLink setup. The suspension in the 2.0 is great and is very much akin to the 3.0 in Normal Damping.

The big flaws of the 2.0 are the open diff and standard gearing. The car makes more than enough torque to still be fun on the street, but the standard gearing becomes long due to the lack of legs compared to the 3.0. The car is much easier to rotate thanks to the weight, and is much more forgiving too, but the lack of LSD sours all of that since it doesn't put the power down. This car is stupidly easy to flick though, few occasions where it felt BRZ good, just got let down by the other stuff. Brakes are adequate for the street, pads and fluid definitely needed for track work, but the same can be said for the 3.0.

Having driven the cars back to back, I want a 2.0. I think it provides enough of a difference to make it a unique driving experience stock for stock. I prefer lighter, more handling-fun oriented cars. But it needs an LSD and a shorter final drive. The balance on it is sweeter than the 3.0, and to take 200lbs out of the 3.0 would be an expensive ordeal in the aftermarket.

So to make this relevant, I think an 8k difference between the cars would be fine but only if the 2.0 had an LSD and a 4.0 final drive. Power can be sorted post haste with a tune too. As it stands it's missing that little bit that it needs to be a real contender. A performance pack upgrade would be great but if that closes the price gap to 5k between the cars, then the value prop just isn't there.
Sponsored

Kiwi Greg

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Website
terminatorproducts.co.nz
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 2021 GR Yaris, 2022 GR86
Disagree very, very strongly here haha. Let me explain. Almost any driver will notice a 220lb difference. It is extremely noticeable and changes almost every aspect of the cars movement. As soon as you move the steering wheel, you can notice an immediacy in input over the 3.0. At the limit the 2.0 has a much wider margin, far more forgiving than the 3.0 (on the same tire and width keep in mind) And the suspension in the 2.0 isn't 'lesser', it's just not active. It's still springs and dampers in a MacP and MultiLink setup. The suspension in the 2.0 is great and is very much akin to the 3.0 in Normal Damping.

The big flaws of the 2.0 are the open diff and standard gearing. The car makes more than enough torque to still be fun on the street, but the standard gearing becomes long due to the lack of legs compared to the 3.0. The car is much easier to rotate thanks to the weight, and is much more forgiving too, but the lack of LSD sours all of that since it doesn't put the power down. This car is stupidly easy to flick though, few occasions where it felt BRZ good, just got let down by the other stuff. Brakes are adequate for the street, pads and fluid definitely needed for track work, but the same can be said for the 3.0.

Having driven the cars back to back, I want a 2.0. I think it provides enough of a difference to make it a unique driving experience stock for stock. I prefer lighter, more handling-fun oriented cars. But it needs an LSD and a shorter final drive. The balance on it is sweeter than the 3.0, and to take 200lbs out of the 3.0 would be an expensive ordeal in the aftermarket.

So to make this relevant, I think an 8k difference between the cars would be fine but only if the 2.0 had an LSD and a 4.0 final drive. Power can be sorted post haste with a tune too. As it stands it's missing that little bit that it needs to be a real contender. A performance pack upgrade would be great but if that closes the price gap to 5k between the cars, then the value prop just isn't there.
Couldn't agree more

I love my Supra, it has H&R springs & all the Cusco bars & braces (haven't put the seat belt one it yet)

It has tons of grunt with the Stage 2 tune & MST intake but it doesn't handle anywhere near as nice as my GT86s did

I have 15 years of motor sport under my belt, all be it a while ago now & I'm positive on the road in the tight twisty stuff (we have lots of that here) the 86 would embarrass the Supra, as soon as it opened out the Supra would start to catch up but you still have to go around corners, get caught at 140 + kph here you are instantly walking for a month + a big fine then no driving for 6+ months, the Supra will get you there very quickly, the track would be a different situation completely

I will be very interested to see what the next model 86 has to offer

Hakkim23

First Name
Basith
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2002 Toyota Camry
Honestly, $42,900 is not bad for the Supra 2.0 it is still in the lower 40s though I was expecting it to be a bit lower
I'm sure that they will sell in even bigger numbers with the 2.0 as a more affordable option

Malinkadink

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2002 Celica GT 4 Speed
I'm guessing that's a no?
Do the math 12.5lb/hp in the 2.0 or 8.9lb/hp in the 3.0. Its definitely not worth it. Who thinks of a i-4 when they think of supra? If you want a low weight rwd i-4 car then the 86 is where to look. I guess if someone just likes the look of the supra and doesn't want to pony up for the i-6 then sure, but you're really missing A LOT in the 2.0 vs 3.0, not just the difference in engine.

thedude

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
NONE. BOUGHT BACK - 2020 Absolute Zero 3.0 Premium
Right. Cars like the Lotus Elise are light (barely over 2000 lbs)

This ā€œbig differenceā€ in weight and dynamics has been spoon fed to these novice automotive ā€œjournalistsā€ by overzealous marketing wonks. Donā€™t believe the hype.

Malinkadink

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2002 Celica GT 4 Speed
Right. Cars like the Lotus Elise are light (barely over 2000 lbs)

This ā€œbig differenceā€ in weight and dynamics has been spoon fed to these novice automotive ā€œjournalistsā€ by overzealous marketing wonks. Donā€™t believe the hype.
Yeah, if someone wants truly low weight then a miata is great too and wont break the bank like a lotus. I'd like a miata myself but cant justify it in NJ unless it was a second car, but i can't run two cars right now either so maybe at a later time if/when i move south i would certainly have a miata for a second car.

Supra CRNA

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Toyota Supra GR, 2006 Mitsu Lancer Evo 9 RS

boom! great insight gus. I love my a90 and when you begin to push the limits of the car, you will notice these little differences. 99kg is a lot of weight, along with the engine offering better weight distribution, I can imagine it feeling different as you begin to whip the tail out a bit, take corners, explore the power band. in the end, both cars are fun to drive and I am sure in time the Supra community will grow to have an appreciation for both!

thedude

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
NONE. BOUGHT BACK - 2020 Absolute Zero 3.0 Premium
Raitiā€™s pricing video tomorrow at 7AM

Heywood220

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
13 FR-S, 22 Tundra, 93 325i
From a corporate email received earlier today:

2.0 - 42,990
3.0 - 50,990
3.0 Premium - 54,490
3.0 A91 - 55,990

Last edited by a moderator:

Dannyvandelft

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ordered A91 edition Supra
As a dealer I got the corporate email earlier today. I didn't even think about attaching the pdf with it, I can tomorrow morning but my guess is it will all he public before I get a chance.
Thanks for the info! I was guessing $57+ for the A91. This makes me happy
Sponsored