gdi2290

First Name
PatrickJS
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
GR Supra 3.0 Premium
Vehicle Showcase
I was thinking the i4 would be 40k and I thought that was a fair price for the base i4 that means the with the new options
  • driver assistant at 1,200 at 44.2k
  • or speakers and nav at 2,500 at 45.5k
  • or both at 46.7k
maybe this was a way to keep the price high for the i6 and for some countries to avoid the engine size tax? They did say its really for engine swaps or if you plan to swap everything in the car you don't want to pay for all the stuff you plan on removing anyways
Sponsored

Dannyvandelft

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ordered A91 edition Supra
I think the 4 cylinder is too high personally. A lot of shoppers will be looking at horsepower per dollar and you can get more for less. Civic Type R, STI, Golf R, all start in the mid 30's and all produce 300+ horsepower. The 4 cylinder Supra at $43k will only attract buyers that only want a Supra but can't afford the 3.0 and that's not a big market. I would've started it at $39,995. Still makes a profit but it's a more attractive price starting with a 3 instead of a 4. Since they project only 20% of Supra buyers will get the 4 cylinder, it wouldn't have hurt them to start at under $40k, which in 3 months they'll be advertised at anyway I'm guessing. But at least it would look better.

idleuser

First Name
Jonny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Currently shopping for a A90 or A91
Good deal on the 3.0 2021 base price as this is comparable to the 2020 premium without then HUD and a few Gs cheaper. I want to say the 2.0 will be discontinued in the US after a 2-3 years of abysmal sales number in the US.

veloist

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'93 MR2 NA, '20 BRZ tS, '20 Supra LE
The 2.0 version also going to be the car for the non-car enthusiast people who simply want a sports car. I’ve sold Subarus for 5 years and we sold plenty of BRZ’s to people who have owned C5 Corvettes or people looking for a midlife crisis car that won’t break their bank. Many of these people don’t even cross shop the car. They simply get it because of the looks and sports car feel.

The 2.0 version is the one you’re going to a grandma in or some single older woman in. It’s also going to the car middle class dad buys his only son/daughter for college. And it’s going to be the car many of the lukewarm FR-S/BRZ owners are going to move on to.

With that said it would be interesting to think about how that affects used car pricing in the future. Without getting too in depth...in a couple years people will be able to cross shop a brand new 2.0 vs a slightly pre-owner 3.0. My feeing is they will fall right at the same price range. And I think this is good for resale value of 3.0s.

Kendogg

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2018 Honda Civic Type R
Cargurus currently shows 1246 available (05/19). A month ago (04/19), cargurus showed 1391. Toyota has sold around 145 units over the last month. And that is considering that Toyota has a $2k hidden incentive and buyers are probably getting around $5-7k off.

At this rate though, Toyota currently has over 8 months worth of 2020 inventory on dealer lots.

Dannyvandelft

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Cargurus currently shows 1246 available (05/19). A month ago (04/19), cargurus showed 1391. Toyota has sold around 145 units over the last month. And that is considering that Toyota has a $2k hidden incentive and buyers are probably getting around $5-7k off.

At this rate though, Toyota currently has over 8 months worth of 2020 inventory on dealer lots.
If the "heroes fund" passes and every essential worker gets a $10k bonus those could all be sold in 2 months :p

The current economy just is what it is. Every manufacturer has 1000's upon 1000's of vehicles sitting doing nothing all over the world. New car sales are down 86% last I heard.

Kendogg

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2018 Honda Civic Type R
If the "heroes fund" passes and every essential worker gets a $10k bonus those could all be sold in 2 months :p

The current economy just is what it is. Every manufacturer has 1000's upon 1000's of vehicles sitting doing nothing all over the world. New car sales are down 86% last I heard.
Exactly. So I doubt the 2021's will be anything close to msrp. Especially when you have 8 months worth of 2020 inventory sitting around. The manufactures rebates have not caught up with the reality of the situation. In 2008/2009 there were huge rebates and govt programs like "cash for clunkers." I bought my new 2008 Honda CBR 1000 (msrp $13k), for $7k in late 2009. I remember some of those superduty type trucks were almost $20k off. I do not believe the car sales were nearly as bad as they are now either.

On a side note, I'm hoping that Heroes Act does not pass the senate. They slipped the HR.6666 in there for their "contact tracing". It's on page 88 and they will use $75 billion to have the ability to come to your residence for "contact tracing." I need to read through the entire thing and see what else they slipped in.

DesmoSD

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1993.5 Supra TT, 997.1 911 Carrera S, 1199 Panigale S
There is probably no increase. The $50,990 is including the $1000 shipping cost. The 2020 is $49,990 but they tack on $955 before it even gets here.
But if it is $1000 more for the base to begin with, that's still not bad because you get the larger screen in the interior etc which cost extra in the 2020 base.
I wish the Premium and A91 prices were here too.

The embargo is June 17th, not May. Redline reviews misspoke and admitted to it in the comments in their video.
In defense of the product planners, the ’21 GR Supra with the 6-cyl. has a starting price of $50,990, representing a bump of $1,000 over the ’20 model. The 335-hp engine will be available no longer in the GR Supra.

You must be new to buying cars. Yes, the $955 is the delivery fee, processing and handling fee but you're not obligated to pay that just like you're not obligated to pay MSRP. The 2020 3.0 MSRP is $49,990 and the 2021 3.0 MSRP is $50,990. Don't get it twisted, everything is negotiable except for tax and licensing fees.

Last edited:

2JZ-No-Sh*t

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
My feet
Good deal on the 3.0 2021 base price as this is comparable to the 2020 premium without then HUD and a few Gs cheaper. I want to say the 2.0 will be discontinued in the US after a 2-3 years of abysmal sales number in the US.
Yup, just like the 2.0 turbo Lexus GS. :lol: :yes:

Captain_Kirk

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
?

Did you click new? Did a search and only 1052 listing appeared.

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/new/s...E&entitySelectingHelper.selectedEntity=c28902

thedude

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
NONE. BOUGHT BACK - 2020 Absolute Zero 3.0 Premium
Exactly. So I doubt the 2021's will be anything close to msrp. Especially when you have 8 months worth of 2020 inventory sitting around. The manufactures rebates have not caught up with the reality of the situation. In 2008/2009 there were huge rebates and govt programs like "cash for clunkers." I bought my new 2008 Honda CBR 1000 (msrp $13k), for $7k in late 2009. I remember some of those superduty type trucks were almost $20k off. I do not believe the car sales were nearly as bad as they are now either.

On a side note, I'm hoping that Heroes Act does not pass the senate. They slipped the HR.6666 in there for their "contact tracing". It's on page 88 and they will use $75 billion to have the ability to come to your residence for "contact tracing." I need to read through the entire thing and see what else they slipped in.
I agree that the dealers will be smarting too much from the 2020 to try anything with the 2021.

Fortunately for all of us, the Apple+Google “Exposure Notification” (they renamed it from Contact Tracing) system is going live soon.

If you’re like me and have the technical knowledge to understand it, please read all the details of the specs. It is quite safe. It will only be granted use by public health administrations, they cannot combine it with location tracking, and the cryptographic elements make it very unlikely that it can be used to do tracking of individuals. (Sadly, governments don’t need any new capabilities to do this)

Oh BTW, it gets released today in iOS 13.5...

Kendogg

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2018 Honda Civic Type R
I agree that the dealers will be smarting too much from the 2020 to try anything with the 2021.

Fortunately for all of us, the Apple+Google “Exposure Notification” (they renamed it from Contact Tracing) system is going live soon.

If you’re like me and have the technical knowledge to understand it, please read all the details of the specs. It is quite safe. It will only be granted use by public health administrations, they cannot combine it with location tracking, and the cryptographic elements make it very unlikely that it can be used to do tracking of individuals. (Sadly, governments don’t need any new capabilities to do this)

Oh BTW, it gets released today in iOS 13.5...
I'm familiar with that app. It is one of the tools they will be using for "Contact Tracing." The House Resolution 6666, is the “COVID–19 Testing, Reaching, And Contacting Everyone (TRACE) Act”. It allows them, as necessary, to "contact trace" at an individuals residence, and for other purposes. They wanted $100 billion for this. They added it in the Heroes Act on page 88 and approved $75 billion for it.

HR6666.jpg

88.jpg

ZDan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'17 BRZ PP, '11 Cayman
The 2.0 version also going to be the car for the non-car enthusiast people who simply want a sports car.
Some enthusiasts are more interested in light weight than in max power. I'm more interested in the <3200 lb. 4-cylinder than the 3400 lb. six *because* I'm an enthusiast.

That said, I'm less interested at $43k with open diff, sliding single-piston brakes, and still a bit overweight...

Dannyvandelft

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Some enthusiasts are more interested in light weight than in max power. I'm more interested in the <3200 lb. 4-cylinder than the 3400 lb. six *because* I'm an enthusiast.

That said, I'm less interested at $43k with open diff, sliding single-piston brakes, and still a bit overweight...
You're not gonna notice the difference in the weight. If it all came off the nose, then maybe. But the weight comes from all over the car. All you're gonna notice is the lack of power, braking, and handling since the 3.0 has upgraded parts in every department. The only place the 2.0 makes sense is in your wallet.

The enthusiast would always go for the 3.0 in my opinion. That's like saying the enthusiast would go for a standard Cayman and not the GT4 because it has a bigger engine. Makes no sense.
Sponsored