2021 Suspension Changes

CarGuy11

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'20 Supra Prem/Assist DS Blue, '16 C7, '22 Mach-E
I'm actually more concerned with the 2021 suspension changes than anything else. If we add strut tower braces to the 2020, what effect will it have on handling?
Sponsored

Dannyvandelft

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ordered A91 edition Supra
I'm actually more concerned with the 2021 suspension changes than anything else. If we add strut tower braces to the 2020, what effect will it have on handling?
I actually wondered about that myself. When I look at where the braces are, I can't help but think it's mostly for aesthetic purposes and extra support for front mounted aero pieces. Adding rigidity to the corners so it doesn't get pulled down by a splitter.

Braces that aid in suspension rigidity would be mounted straight to the strut towers no?

A70TTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
ST205 GT4, JZA70, JZA70 TT-R, S210 Athlete
I did actually laugh when Tada said those weren't necessary during the original press drive. Present on the Z4 and now the MY21 and yet weren't needed huh? :)

Then again, I guess he wasn't lying as they aren't needed, but they're likely better than not having them lol.

Jokes aside, I would bet money no one could feel a difference in a blind experiment.

John8

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra Nitro, FJ Cruiser 2012
Those strut tower braces look super ugly. Hope it will look nicer than this. I like it off of the front engine bay

0FD05A50-2F7A-47BA-B60B-9F987FF8A9A6.jpeg
Ugly and something I would have made in shop class when I was 14. I ordered and will install the Cusco today on my 2020. Zoom, zoom. lol

OP
OP
CarGuy11

CarGuy11

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'20 Supra Prem/Assist DS Blue, '16 C7, '22 Mach-E
Ugly and something I would have made in shop class when I was 14. I ordered and will install the Cusco today on my 2020. Zoom, zoom. lol
Cool let us know if you feel a difference with it installed.

John8

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I pretty much agree, though it depends upon the towers etc. And then the sway bar can change other things about the suspension and that isn't always considered but needs to be.

John8

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I push my car hard, going into corners at over 20 mph!

And got them installed but the directions are in Japanese so had to use a translator but no torque figures!

And my wife is very excited! She didn't even ask what this was for but saw the discarded plastic bags and was all grins as she used one for a water bottle, in case it leaks, as we hike a few miles cross country, every, single, day. :^)

Great, I just realized this is in metric and I only have a crescent wrench in standard so I went to Home Depot and they don't have an automotive section.

Last edited:

mas921

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Several RWD's
IIRC, the GazooRacing development pro driver didn't like how the car understeered at the limit with the braces on. If I understood Tada-san correctly, It's not that they're needed from a torsional rigidity pov, rather it would create more rigid front bias vs the rear with the current springs/shocks/sway bars combo. and since "some journalists who can't drive for ****" had problems keeping the tail in check, i wouldn't be surprised if many of the handling upgrades moved the bias towards the rear (rendering more understeer at the limit)

Think of it this way, the chassis is a spring, connecting the 4 corners. A more rigid front means more % of the load transfer will take place there.
But more rigidity is ALWAYS good, especially at the radiator side because its basically gaping hole; bridged only by the crash bar. Make that stiffer and you have better (as in faster and more stable) steering response.

am butchering the subject for the sake of simplicity here, there is way more to it than simple "ugly" bars.

ex-BMW M-chief explains the idea behind front end chassis bracing
The whole video is ultra interesting since so many of the -awesome!- aspects he's explaining about the M4's chassis were carried over onto the A90.

EDIT: also, front end bracing isnt exactly a new thing

ayau

First Name
ayau
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
F1 fitty
I did actually laugh when Tada said those weren't necessary during the original press drive. Present on the Z4 and now the MY21 and yet weren't needed huh? :)

Then again, I guess he wasn't lying as they aren't needed, but they're likely better than not having them lol.

Jokes aside, I would bet money no one could feel a difference in a blind experiment.
Another case of BMW gets priority over parts supplies. Maybe supplier couldnā€™t meet the initial demand?

JasonO

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra LE
Another case of BMW gets priority over parts supplies. Maybe supplier couldnā€™t meet the initial demand?
I doubt that. These parts can be cranked out by the simplest of shop tools in mass. A couple of guys in a garage with a press and a punch could probably supply all of BMW.

Knowing Toyota, this was financial. The BOM goes down $15 without them. $15 x 5,000 cars is $75,000.
Sponsored