Unstable suspension

razorlab

First Name
Bryan / Briana
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Not a Corvette.
toyo r8888s give better grip over stock, they also look really good on te37sl wheels. only negative is they are loud on the highway. I noticed an immediate difference after switching. also upgraded to hks adjustable springs lowered the car an inch and a half. did an alignment. it feels like it's on rails. stock the car felt loose and nervous at high speeds. also added Cusco under braces.
Mucho Machos probably give more grip over stock too 😎
Sponsored

BillyLong42

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 3.0 Premium
I'm running a pure 800, catless dp, and a ecutek tune. Pushing very high torque numbers low 6XXs whp..
I am also running the hks adjustable springs and on PSS fronts and back 275/295
Whenever I floor it in 3rd-4th-5h at around 100km or more the car feels squirmy? if that's the right term? It wants to slide right and left slightly. I don't know if its the crappy PSS that cant handle the power or is it a suspension issue and coilovers would fix that problem.

Any idea from the guys running big power?
My wife hates driving my car because of the "sway" when you get on it like you described.

Until some stickier tyres get put on it you just gotta dance it where you want it baby :cool:

FuzzyRev85

First Name
RT
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
24 MT "ordered", 19 Yaris MT, 03 Yukon XL
I am also running the hks adjustable springs and on PSS fronts and back 275/295
Whenever I floor it in 3rd-4th-5h at around 100km or more the car feels squirmy? if that's the right term? It wants to slide right and left slightly.
"Squirmy" is exactly the right term in my opinion, and it's a disconcerting sensation.

When using the stock (or stock 10" width aftermarket) rear wheels, I've found that anything bigger than a P285 rear tire gets 'muffin-top jiggly' or "shimmy shimmy cocoa what" on highway pulls above 60mph/100kmh. It's caused by the wheel's ability to oscillate side to side within the oversized (width-wise) tire while the torque tries to find any way it can to escape the load being applied at such high rotational speeds. I had P305/30R19s on my OE wheels for a little bit once, and highway pulls became downright scary as the rear end did its best impression of "The Truffle Shuffle."

OP
OP

KAREEMMK5

First Name
Kareem
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
mk5
"Squirmy" is exactly the right term in my opinion, and it's a disconcerting sensation.

When using the stock (or stock 10" width aftermarket) rear wheels, I've found that anything bigger than a P285 rear tire gets 'muffin-top jiggly' or "shimmy shimmy cocoa what" on highway pulls above 60mph/100kmh. It's caused by the wheel's ability to oscillate side to side within the oversized (width-wise) tire while the torque tries to find any way it can to escape the load being applied at such high rotational speeds. I had P305/30R19s on my OE wheels for a little bit once, and highway pulls became downright scary as the rear end did its best impression of "The Truffle Shuffle."
So whats the solution?

Thraxbert

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'20 Supra 3L, boosted 3.8L Gen Coupe, '93 Jimny
Why oh why do people continue to think r888’s are good tires.

Pick any good current 200tw
Say what you will, but I absolutely love mine. My other car puts down around 500WHP and it's practically glued to the road.

Edit: to be clear, the R888 is a crap tire. The R888R is not. I also would not spring for R888R on a track, but love it for the street. Especially in Texas where the asphalt is weirdly slick all the time.

Last edited:

razorlab

First Name
Bryan / Briana
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Not a Corvette.
Say what you will, but I absolutely love mine. My other car puts down around 600WHP and it's practically glued to the road.

Edit: to be clear, the R888 is a crap tire. The R888R is not. I also would not spring for R888R on a track, but love it for the street. Especially in Texas where the asphalt is weirdly slick all the time.
Then wait until you try some 200tw tires from this century.

Thraxbert

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'20 Supra 3L, boosted 3.8L Gen Coupe, '93 Jimny
Then wait until you try some 200tw tires from this century.
I have, actually. My last set of rears in the Supra were the BFGoodrich GForce Rival S 1.5, which recently won best 200TW track tire against a pretty impressive lineup. To say that I disliked the tire immensely would be an understatement; it was, hands down, one of the most alarmingly slippery tires I've ever owned. The lateral grip was great, but taking the car to WOT on a straight was downright fucking scary on these tires. It was worse than stock, and I'm running 11" wide 305/30 with very little camber in the rear.

I switched to Continental ExtremeContact Sport as soon as I could, even grimacing through the pain of offloading some very expensive 200tw tires with less than 300mi of use. The ECS are better, but still nothing like the street grip of the R888R.

R888R is fantastic for gripping asphalt. I wouldn't daily it, but for a weekend driver kind of car, or for someone who values grip over tread wear: great tire.

razorlab

First Name
Bryan / Briana
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Not a Corvette.
I have, actually. My last set of rears in the Supra were the BFGoodrich GForce Rival S 1.5, which recently won best 200TW track tire against a pretty impressive lineup. To say that I disliked the tire immensely would be an understatement; it was, hands down, one of the most alarmingly slippery tires I've ever owned. The lateral grip was great, but taking the car to WOT on a straight was downright fucking scary on these tires. It was worse than stock, and I'm running 11" wide 305/30 with very little camber in the rear.

I switched to Continental ExtremeContact Sport as soon as I could, even grimacing through the pain of offloading some very expensive 200tw tires with less than 300mi of use. The ECS are better, but still nothing like the street grip of the R888R.

R888R is fantastic for gripping asphalt. I wouldn't daily it, but for a weekend driver kind of car, or for someone who values grip over tread wear: great tire.
Yea, I hated the GForce too. Not a fan of BFG tires. Nankang CR-S and even the Kumho V730 are gripper and put down better lap times. I take these internet tire tests with a grain of salt.

kaj

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
Why oh why do people continue to think r888’s are good tires.
I have this argument about once per week. The Internet swears by them and none of us with real-world experience can convince them otherwise.
"They work better then my street tires" is a good enough reason to use them, but it doesn't make them good.

tanabersx

First Name
Miguel
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A90 Supra, RAM Rebel 2021, 2018 BMW X5 e-Drive
I get this same feeling with that same amount of power. I have 19x9.5 fronts with stock rears 275/35 MPS and 19x11 rears with toyo r888r 305/30, When I floor it it feels pretty planted BUT when I let go on 6-7th the car goes all crazy on me muffing top wondering around. I'm on stock suspension but it is scary.

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0, ND MX5 Club, VW GTI MK7.5
So whats the solution?
Alignment all the way. After you get your new sticky tires, get an alignment again. It’s cheap and a good way to ensure nothing is off….

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0, ND MX5 Club, VW GTI MK7.5

I absolutely love my Maxxis Victra RC-1 tires!!!! But I’m used to driving on them, being on the edge with them and the massive grip on track. I totally get it. For your use and what you’re use to, makes sense. The stock one were absolutely horrible if doing anything other than driving in my neighborhood. I’ll definitely be buying some 200tw tires for the stock wheels. I’m still driving in town on my track wheels/tires. Homestead this weekend and never changed them since last track weekend. Being lazy and they feel sooooooo good… 😜
Sponsored