2021 Suspension Changes

John8

First Name
John
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra Nitro, FJ Cruiser 2012
After having to remove the brace for other engine upgrades, I’ll be tapping these holes. Such a pain to blindly find the bolt to engage the nut
I would agree. It is easy to tap, just pay attention and view a Youtube. I have used tap and dies for years and they can come is so very, very handy! I am using a bolt on my 2020 but tapping makes much more sense and you don't have to worry about a nut freezing on there, causing a pain, though I do use some non freeze goop normally but used stainless in this case, so don't have to worry about it. but tapping is the way to go and don't know why they didn't do it at the factory.

legacy_etu

Reaction score
Car(s)
20 Supra, 16 Wrangler UNLTD
Or they needed more time to properly calibrate the steering, electronic diff, other software-configurable suspension bits, etc... for the brace changes.

I mean, they didn’t even have time to make all of the service bay tools work...
Quite possible. I’m more of the opinion that they engineered it in from the beginning but decided to leave it out so they can roll out “updates” as the model years go on and the Marketing department has stuff to crow about. Much easier to bake these things in from the beginning than add new parts to the mix than have to revisit and reengineer the car to accept these improvements. In fact , I’d wager they have a matrix already set at launch with the model years next to it and what the car will offer as new for each model year.

legacy_etu

Reaction score
Car(s)
20 Supra, 16 Wrangler UNLTD
Personally I wouldn’t tap the aluminum. the Torque aluminum can withstand is pretty minimal compared to steel and then you also have to worry about dissimilar metals being in contact with each other plus aluminum threads are not long lasting for many threading cycles. That last one proabably isn’t an issue as you probably are only taking the passenger side off to access the air box.

I’d rather deal with the hassle of the nut.

Advertisement

Advertisement