2021 Suspension Changes

John8

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra Nitro, FJ Cruiser 2012
After having to remove the brace for other engine upgrades, I’ll be tapping these holes. Such a pain to blindly find the bolt to engage the nut
I would agree. It is easy to tap, just pay attention and view a Youtube. I have used tap and dies for years and they can come is so very, very handy! I am using a bolt on my 2020 but tapping makes much more sense and you don't have to worry about a nut freezing on there, causing a pain, though I do use some non freeze goop normally but used stainless in this case, so don't have to worry about it. but tapping is the way to go and don't know why they didn't do it at the factory.
Sponsored

Kiwi Greg

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Website
terminatorproducts.co.nz
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 2021 GR Yaris, 2022 GR86
In the strut towers I drilled them out a little, tapped & used Stainless M12 cap screws, so much easier & stronger than the long sloppy M8 bolt

legacy_etu

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
20 Supra, 16 Wrangler UNLTD
Or they needed more time to properly calibrate the steering, electronic diff, other software-configurable suspension bits, etc... for the brace changes.

I mean, they didn’t even have time to make all of the service bay tools work...
Quite possible. I’m more of the opinion that they engineered it in from the beginning but decided to leave it out so they can roll out “updates” as the model years go on and the Marketing department has stuff to crow about. Much easier to bake these things in from the beginning than add new parts to the mix than have to revisit and reengineer the car to accept these improvements. In fact , I’d wager they have a matrix already set at launch with the model years next to it and what the car will offer as new for each model year.

legacy_etu

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
20 Supra, 16 Wrangler UNLTD
Personally I wouldn’t tap the aluminum. the Torque aluminum can withstand is pretty minimal compared to steel and then you also have to worry about dissimilar metals being in contact with each other plus aluminum threads are not long lasting for many threading cycles. That last one proabably isn’t an issue as you probably are only taking the passenger side off to access the air box.

I’d rather deal with the hassle of the nut.

CJ-

First Name
CJ
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Absolute Zero Supra LE
Anyone aware of any real world testing of the Z4 strut bars on the 2020 Supra vs. stock?

digicidal

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 2020 RX350, 2007 4Runner
Anyone aware of any real world testing of the Z4 strut bars on the 2020 Supra vs. stock?
Not aware of any, but my guess would be the "butt dyno" results far exceed any actual objective gains (no matter which strut bar was used). Something like the Cusco or Blitz should be slightly better but unless you're changing the actual suspension geometry with SPL parts, etc. it's going to be fractions of a percentage most likely.

It's not like the chassis isn't sufficiently rigid without them, so any body roll isn't simply a matter of the chassis flexing. At a guess, just going with slightly more aggressive spring rates would make much more of a difference - but bars look cooler when the hood is up and they're easy to add. :cool:

OP
OP
CarGuy11

CarGuy11

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'20 Supra Prem/Assist DS Blue, '16 C7, '22 Mach-E
Here you go...

Sponsored