2021 Toyota Supra…been some time…which oil brand & weight?

Lendo

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 Premium (sold)
Manufacturer recommendations are full of bad advice that are just thrown in there for emissions, marketing, or legal reasons. 0W20 is only recommended for emissions reasons, it is woefully inadequate for a high power turbo car, full stop. That turbo will rip it to shreds long before the oil change interval is up, I'd be surprised if it was higher than a 10 weight after 2000 miles of aggressive driving, which is basically just water.

From what I understand, the US is the only region in which 0W20 is recommended for this engine (though the manual says you can use up to a 40 weight), everywhere else recommends a 30 weight. Every other high performance turbo car uses a 30-40 weight oil. The US B58 is not special, it needs the same.
https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw-oil-change-kit-5w-30-liqui-moly-11428583898-lm

Their comments are along the thinking of many indy shops (out of the dealer network) and are adamant about running anything but a 0 weight on these cars.
Sponsored

wfujay

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra Launch Edition #1455
No, here in Sweden the recommended oil is also 0W20. The manual state that alternative weight could be used but the preferred oil is 0W20. This is also what the dealer put in the car if they change the oil.
The preferred oil is 0W20 in Sweden because of their ridiculous EPA policies. It has nothing to do with being better for the engine. That is ALWAYS the case when these thin oils are recommended. Backdoor climate deals + exchanges of money.

https://www.swedishepa.se/Environme...te/Climate-Act-and-Climate-policy-framework-/

A 0W20 oil is garbage in a turbo car, period. Any knowledgeable enthusiast, tuner shop, or race team is going to recommend a 5W30, 5W40, or even a 5W50 for proper engine lubrication 10 out of 10 times so you can drive these cars the way they were meant to be driven instead of getting a 3-4 mpg increase on a tank of gas.

Papadakis racing for example uses a 5W50, and there's a technical reason for that - less shearing = better engine lubrication. In a hot summer climate zone I wouldn't touch a 0W20 oil and I personally use 5W40. It gets really hot in summer where I am, and really cold in winter, so I'll switch back to a 5W30 at that point.

https://papadakisracing.com/pages/2020-toyota-gr-supra

polaris

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0, 2017 Corolla iM
A video going in depth about oil viscosities and how they perform in your engine. The relevant info for us who already know what oil viscosity is starts around 4:57.

TL;DR: Use what the manufacturer recommends. Yes, manufacturers have been using thinner oils for better fuel efficiency. However, engines nowadays are engineered and built to the point where engine/component wear is probably not going to be the first thing that kills your engine. For us out there who use our cars mainly to putt around, with occasional high stress use, 0W-20 is going to be perfectly fine. Many people running 0W-20 in their B58s have posted Blackstone results showing no signs of premature wear or damage.

That being said, Toyota's manual does technically say 0w-30 (and 5w-30, I think?) can be ran in the engine. They say it's okay "if you don't have 0w-20 on hand". For people who will be taking their cars on the track or will be tuning and modding their engines, then a thicker oil will offer much better protection for those motors. That's why you see performance shops and tuner websites recommend higher weights for these cars, because they assume you're building a track warrior. But you don't need to run thicker oil if you're not. You can run thicker oil if it gives you peace of mind and you think it offers better protection. I'm not recommending against it, in fact I'll probably switch my car over to 0w-30 eventually, I'm just saying it's not necessary.

Also, be weary about online message boards (like here) about oil viscosities. There seems to be a lot of people without engineering degrees who think they know better than the manufacturer's engineers. There's a lot more that goes into determining an engine's specifications than just fuel efficiency.

Lendo

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 Premium (sold)
A video going in depth about oil viscosities and how they perform in your engine. The relevant info for us who already know what oil viscosity is starts around 4:57.

TL;DR: Use what the manufacturer recommends. Yes, manufacturers have been using thinner oils for better fuel efficiency. However, engines nowadays are engineered and built to the point where engine/component wear is probably not going to be the first thing that kills your engine. For us out there who use our cars mainly to putt around, with occasional high stress use, 0W-20 is going to be perfectly fine. Many people running 0W-20 in their B58s have posted Blackstone results showing no signs of premature wear or damage.

That being said, Toyota's manual does technically say 0w-30 (and 5w-30, I think?) can be ran in the engine. They say it's okay "if you don't have 0w-20 on hand". For people who will be taking their cars on the track or will be tuning and modding their engines, then a thicker oil will offer much better protection for those motors. That's why you see performance shops and tuner websites recommend higher weights for these cars, because they assume you're building a track warrior. But you don't need to run thicker oil if you're not. You can run thicker oil if it gives you peace of mind and you think it offers better protection. I'm not recommending against it, in fact I'll probably switch my car over to 0w-30 eventually, I'm just saying it's not necessary.

Also, be weary about online message boards (like here) about oil viscosities. There seems to be a lot of people without engineering degrees who think they know better than the manufacturer's engineers. There's a lot more that goes into determining an engine's specifications than just fuel efficiency.
No offense but I'll take the info found in this thread over anything printed in the owner's manual.

suicidaleggroll

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium, 2012 WRX
If you guys want to to run a thicker weight for peace of mind, go with a 0w30 not a 5w30…..
Unless you're starting your car up at -20C or below, a 0W vs 5W rating doesn't really matter. I'd hazard a guess that 90% of the cars on this forum aren't driven below 0C, where even a 10W would be fine. In general, the smaller the gap between the "winter" rating and the 100C rating, the more shear resistant the oil is. If you don't need extreme winter protection, you're better off with a higher winter rating because it means fewer additives and less shear damage, again all things being equal.

My MKV has summer tires, like most here do, which means it should never be driven below 0C anyway. I have another car for those conditions.

polaris

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0, 2017 Corolla iM
No offense but I'll take the info found in this thread over anything printed in the owner's manual.
A tuned B58 in Florida will have completely different considerations than OP's stock engine in Nebraska.

I will trust the info that the actual BMW engineers, aka the people who actually know the considerations that were taken when designing, building, and determining the specifications of the engine, over random people on the internet.

The preferred oil is 0W20 in Sweden because of their ridiculous EPA policies. It has nothing to do with being better for the engine. That is ALWAYS the case when these thin oils are recommended. Backdoor climate deals + exchanges of money.
Why do climate and emissions regulations always have to be a conspiracy to make more money, and never anything to with the fact that something needs to be done about our worsening global climate situation :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Lendo

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 Premium (sold)
A tuned B58 in Florida will have completely different considerations than OP's stock engine in Nebraska.

I will trust the info that the actual BMW engineers, aka the people who actually know the considerations that were taken when designing, building, and determining the specifications of the engine, over random people on the internet.

Why do climate and emissions regulations always have to be a conspiracy to make more money, and never anything to with the fact that something needs to be done about our worsening global climate situation :rolleyes:
Since you're following the manual, I won't discuss the topic of breakin nor oil viscosity since the manual is correct and was never swayed by legal interests.

Also climate change is a meme at this point. All these jabronis want to do is raise taxes and lessen your standard of living, don't fall for that nonsense.

supradupra

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 supra (soon)
bout to do my 1st oil change with 1500 mi (i dont drive mine much ) gonna run Rotella T6 5-40 and let her eat.....every vehicle i have from my race bikes to my truck and grocery getter i run rotella and it works incredible. 170k mi on my tundra 150ish k miles on my fiesta (both call for a 0-20) on no issues at all.....lots of BMW guys been running it for years now

Evolution

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21 Supra
This is a funny thread, like most oil threads. Cant even imagine what some of you would say if I dropped 20w-50 in my car!

wfujay

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)

Nobody said it was a conspiracy, but it's a fact that backdoor corporate deals are taken and accepted from EPA regulators in the car industry. That is a fact sir, not a conspiracy. You do what you feel is right, but I'll take the advice of all knowledgeable enthusiasts, reputable tuners, and world class race teams who all share the same opinion with no political agendas attached. The manufacturers recommended oil is shit and they never recommend running it, especially if the engine is tuned.

@AustinGRSupra can tell you from first hand experience that 0W20 is terrible as he's looking at $18k in engine repairs, in which the oil is at least partially responsible.

wfujay

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
bout to do my 1st oil change with 1500 mi (i dont drive mine much ) gonna run Rotella T6 5-40 and let her eat.....every vehicle i have from my race bikes to my truck and grocery getter i run rotella and it works incredible. 170k mi on my tundra 150ish k miles on my fiesta (both call for a 0-20) on no issues at all.....lots of BMW guys been running it for years now
If you don't care about the warranty the Rotella T6 is fine. However if anything does goes wrong, you'll be stuck with the bill as it's not a BMW approved oil spec. I'm not disagreeing with you that T6 is a good oil btw, but BMW will never approve any warranty work if they take oil samples.

Evolution

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21 Supra
That might be too thin. You should consider 40w-70 to make sure your engine is absolutely protected
I am honestly still baffled that most people think the number in front of the W means "warm".... and that oil "thins" out when it gets warm. :doh:

wfujay

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I am honestly still baffled that most people think the number in front of the W means "warm".... and that oil "thins" out when it gets warm. :doh:
Who thinks that? Lol, most people confuse it with "weight" when it actually means Winter. Oil definitely thins out the hotter it gets - there's no debate there.

Evolution

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21 Supra
Who thinks that? Lol, most people confuse it with "weight" when it actually means Winter. Oil definitely thins out the hotter it gets - there's no debate there.
You do know how they come up with viscosity numbers right? The numbers are based on flow resistance. The less the resistance (thinner oil) the smaller the number. That meaning if the 100°c # is bigger, it doesnt flow as well, meaning more resistance which equates to a thicker oil.

I can bring up oil temp compared to thermal expansion and what that does to bearing clearance but lets not get there just yet.
Sponsored