OP
Supra_UK_

Supra_UK_

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ex-Owner '23 GR Supra 6MT
*Positive Update*

Thanks to all of you who replied - today I went for my 2nd ever drive, hit 100 mileage and 85 mph, had a testarossa cruising behind me on some backroads at sunset, so it felt a little bit like a dream come true.

Regarding reverse gear: it indeed needs to be "dynamic", fast, thank goodness you guys said so, as I'd have never done it as I'm usually quite careful/gentle with the lever but no joke, generally the gearbox literally responds better/is smoother if you use it aggressively/fast, and reverse went in easier today, much better, still odd/took a couple of attempts, but better (first time it took me like 10 attempts).

Another thing! My first spirited drive today also meant...first time my knuckle hit the radio volume knob thingie when going in 5th, THAT was annoying... so normal driving fine, but be careful if driving fast as it happens.
Sponsored

FuzzyRev

First Name
RT
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
24 MT "ordered", 19 Yaris MT, 03 Yukon XL
Mine is also pretty stiff but only has 150 miles on it so lets see
The shift action should be much better after a few thousand miles, when the parts are "worn-in"

OP
OP
Supra_UK_

Supra_UK_

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Looking to get a loose "poll" on all '2023 MT owners since many of us will have now had their cars 6/8/10 months or so and done a few thousand miles and whether they feel the reverse got less tricky to insert?

I done 2000 miles on mine and I feel it has got a little bit better, and also might just be getting accustomed to it.

lucky phil

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra GTS 2024 MT, Kia Stonic GT, Mazda CX5 GT SP
Thanks Gents, tomorrow I'll try again slightly "faster" and see if it makes any difference. Appreciate your responses!
Here's a tip that might work and commonly used on the 6 speed Tremec gearboxes that can resist engaging reverse especially when new. Just select a fwd gear like 2nd or 4th and then immediately go into reverse. Worked well on the Tremec 6 speeds.

Phil

jchadwell

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 Premium
Here's a tip that might work and commonly used on the 6 speed Tremec gearboxes that can resist engaging reverse especially when new. Just select a fwd gear like 2nd or 4th and then immediately go into reverse. Worked well on the Tremec 6 speeds.

Phil
I donā€™t remember which it was but I had to do this exact thing on one of my previous manuals. Iā€™d put the clutch in and then just barely touch first, meaning just move toward first until you feel the synchros barely start to move and then go to reverse. Was always very smooth and no resistance if I did that first. If I didnā€™t, reverse was very hard to engage and sometimes wouldnā€™t at all.

S2k

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
GR Supra 3.0
Not sure what reverse is like on the manual Supra or what the issue is, but I always found when reverse was stiff in any manual cars Iā€™ve owned that letting the clutch out in neutral and pushing back in gets the cogs lined up better and reverse slips right in.

robotvoice

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2010 Audi A3 quattro
Looking to get a loose "poll" on all '2023 MT owners since many of us will have now had their cars 6/8/10 months or so and done a few thousand miles and whether they feel the reverse got less tricky to insert?

I done 2000 miles on mine and I feel it has got a little bit better, and also might just be getting accustomed to it.
I'm at a little under 2k miles and going into reverse feels a lot better now for me. It definitely doesn't feel like it requires as much force as it did off the lot.

Boataur

First Name
RB
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Supra A91-MT CUL
Never had an issue on mine from the day I picked it up. Iā€™m glad thereā€™s a fair amount of resistance going left into R so that I donā€™t go there rather than first by mistake.

TheangryEngineer

First Name
JOHN
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Rx7 FD3S, Subaru S202, Impreza V4 sti coupe, st185
After 300 miles now on the clock I canā€™t feel any change compared to how my reverse gear was at zero miles. However it does need a confident push in one go. I think itā€™s so you donā€™t just gently pop it into first. Probably just the design as most cars you lift the gear knob or push downā€¦ this you just have to push with some force but it feels more like the design than a problem. Now that Iā€™m used to it I really like it.

OP
OP
Supra_UK_

Supra_UK_

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
After 300 miles now on the clock I canā€™t feel any change compared to how my reverse gear was at zero miles. However it does need a confident push in one go. I think itā€™s so you donā€™t just gently pop it into first. Probably just the design as most cars you lift the gear knob or push downā€¦ this you just have to push with some force but it feels more like the design than a problem. Now that Iā€™m used to it I really like it.
Thanks for sharing your feedback mate!

I got 2000 miles on mine now and it has got slightly better, still needs the one dynamic move as you described, but less notchy.

However, I occasionally still need 2 goes, which is why I still think it's silly... it shouldn't be this difficult.

I'd prefer a simple lever or button like I had on my old fiat panda šŸ¤£

TheangryEngineer

First Name
JOHN
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Rx7 FD3S, Subaru S202, Impreza V4 sti coupe, st185
Thanks for sharing your feedback mate!

I got 2000 miles on mine now and it has got slightly better, still needs the one dynamic move as you described, but less notchy.

However, I occasionally still need 2 goes, which is why I still think it's silly... it shouldn't be this difficult.

I'd prefer a simple lever or button like I had on my old fiat panda šŸ¤£
I meant to ask, did you "run in" your engine, or jsut a hard break in?

Im babying mine up to 1200 miles and will probably do a first oil change then just to flush out any material from the break in.

FuzzyRev

First Name
RT
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I'm at 4,515 miles as of yesterday, and the shift action feels fantastic. Keeps getting better. Having a 500gr knob REALLY helps with reverse engagement motion too.

I love my MT so much!! Completely worth the wait and the extra cost.

Jmanlevan

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'23 Supra 3.0 MT, '00 4Runner SR5
A heavier shift knob has made it noticeably easier for me to engage reverse but its not so easy that I accidentally engage it when im wanting to put it into first. Still needs enough pressure and the differentiation between the two is still obvious so that that mistake doesn't happen.

FuzzyRev

First Name
RT
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A heavier shift knob has made it noticeably easier for me to engage reverse but its not so easy that I accidentally engage it when im wanting to put it into first. Still needs enough pressure and the differentiation between the two is still obvious so that that mistake doesn't happen.
How heavy is the knob you installed?

OP
OP
Supra_UK_

Supra_UK_

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I meant to ask, did you "run in" your engine, or jsut a hard break in?

Im babying mine up to 1200 miles and will probably do a first oil change then just to flush out any material from the break in.
Hi chief,

Oooh yes I am one those guys, I did it right for 1200 miles, but giving it plenty of diversity in all gears and rev ranges and torque ranges, occasionally with a long drive I did also touch 5k revs and exceed 4/4.5k.

At 1200 miles I brought it to a main dealer and had an oil change, now I can sleep at night that if anything goes wrong, I know I did my part at least, and it's a manufacturing issue otherwise - I started bringing it regularly to 6k rpm region once it's nice and warm now and extremely rarely in the red area and I'm at 2100 now I think.

I did have a blast in the Peak district recently following a pack of Caterhams and TVRs, and occasionally took it red line especially doing 4th - 3rd downshifts, which are orgasmic! šŸ¤£

Enjoy your break in mate, it will create more pleasure and anticipation as you start to open the taps more and more later on, cheers šŸ’ÆšŸ»
Sponsored