'23 MANUAL Supra - Reverse Gear

Supra_UK_

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ex-Owner '23 GR Supra 6MT
Hi,

Anyone else got a '23 manual?

I'd love to hear your thoughts please - I found that putting reverse gear feels extremely odd and needs a LOT of force applied to it, nothing like any other car I drove before.

Does anyone have any advice i.e. does it need to be done a different way / pulled up or pushed down slightly to make it go in more easily?

Also waiting for dealer technician to advise.

Thanks
Sponsored

Chappers

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra GR 3.0L Tungsten Silver
You must have the first uk manual supra 😅

This maybe obvious but have you looked in the manual?

Normally some manufacturers put a lock collar so you lift it up to then engage R or maybe you press down on the shifter before engaging R. But it shouldn't be difficult to engage...

Cptnslo

First Name
Colton
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 MKV 3.0 Supra
Most bmw do not use a lock ring it’s just a push through into gear. I’ll be curious though

OP
OP
Supra_UK_

Supra_UK_

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Thanks guys.
Yeah I picked it up today, it's amazing.
The gear knob is completely smoothe / with no notches, and I saw in the YT reviews it is a push indeed, but just didn't think it would need pushing that hard!
I also checked the manual but it's only got the Auto in there lol...

Chappers

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Thanks guys.
The gear knob is completely smoothe / with no notches, and I saw in the YT reviews it is a push indeed, but just didn't think it would need pushing that hard!
That's typical they've not updated the manual to include manual 🙄

SCZ4

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'20 Supra 3.0 Pro
All the BMW manual cars I've had (Z4M, M3 etc) are all hard push to the left (pause) and up. Think of it as two steps. No lock collar, no need to push down, pull up etc.

Lucky chap! Enjoy!

Chappers

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Just got this from the 2022 Z4 owners manual...

Reverse gear Select only when the vehicle is stationary. To overcome the resistance push the gearshift lever dynamically to the left and engage reverse gear with a forward shifting movement.

Chappers

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Just got this from the 2022 Z4 owners manual...

Reverse gear Select only when the vehicle is stationary. To overcome the resistance push the gearshift lever dynamically to the left and engage reverse gear with a forward shifting movement.
Therefore just send it 🤣

OP
OP
Supra_UK_

Supra_UK_

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Thanks Gents, tomorrow I'll try again slightly "faster" and see if it makes any difference. Appreciate your responses!

Southtown

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Sti
Thanks guys.
One of the reviews I watched the guy made mention of how tough it was to push into reverse.

robotvoice

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2010 Audi A3 quattro
I found that if you kind of smack the shift knob over to the left with a bit of force and then up into reverse like normal it's not too bad. It definitely takes a bit of force (more so than I initially thought) but once you do it a few times it's kind of second nature. I actually like that it takes some force so that it's almost impossible to accidentally go into reverse when you want to shift up into first.

OP
OP
Supra_UK_

Supra_UK_

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I found that if you kind of smack the shift knob over to the left with a bit of force and then up into reverse like normal it's not too bad. It definitely takes a bit of force (more so than I initially thought) but once you do it a few times it's kind of second nature. I actually like that it takes some force so that it's almost impossible to accidentally go into reverse when you want to shift up into first.
Thanks mate, that gives me a bit of confidence. How long you had yours, any other oddities about the manual you found? I literally had 1 x 60 mile drive back from the dealer only so totally newbie, but those gears are definitely notchy, and I love the particular torque surge as you start picking up speed in 3rd.

robotvoice

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2010 Audi A3 quattro
Thanks mate, that gives me a bit of confidence. How long you had yours, any other oddities about the manual you found? I literally had 1 x 60 mile drive back from the dealer only so totally newbie, but those gears are definitely notchy, and I love the particular torque surge as you start picking up speed in 3rd.
Just picked mine up yesterday. Absolutely love everything about the transmission and clutch feel and no complaints just yet. One of my only gripes so far is having to keep disabling the auto stop/start which is just silly to have on a manual transmission.

Prado150

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
GX460, Tundra…. A91-MT
Just picked mine up yesterday. Absolutely love everything about the transmission and clutch feel and no complaints just yet. One of my only gripes so far is having to keep disabling the auto stop/start which is just silly to have on a manual transmission.
I agree with the auto start/stop. I just used BimmerCode to deactivate it and its great now, always off.

NitroYellowMKV

Silver Sponsor
First Name
Phillip
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Burnout A91 MT
Mine is also pretty stiff but only has 150 miles on it so lets see
Sponsored