OP
OP
Rustyscrew

Rustyscrew

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
15 Tundra, 21 Supra, 66 VW Bus
Yes my team has been through a head swap with a 6 port head on a 2020 2 port supra. And the OEM tune is a non issue, tuning is mandatory when performing heavy modification
As a person who has actually done this. Can you just bolt a 6 port head on and the engine will run? I know tune would have to be adjusted, but I'm speaking on the physical aspect of it. Or will other modifications need to be made to the head, for example a 1.5JZ with having to modify the head gasket and some cooling passages.
Sponsored

frgeoff

First Name
geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
anything with a turbo
Can you just bolt a 6 port head on and the engine will run? I know tune would have to be adjusted, but I'm speaking on the physical aspect of it. Or will other modifications need to be made to the head, for example a 1.5JZ with having to modify the head gasket and some cooling passages.
YES. to be clear: the 6 port head is a direct plug and play upgrade for the 2 port head. Everything from cams and valves / springs / retainers / Sensors / injectors / fuel pump are all the same and can be swapped over. Dyno comparisons below. We're using borgwarner's EFR9280 turbo with Full Race twinscroll kit, and standalone motec ecu. the ONLY changes here are 6 port cylinder head + 6 port exhaust manifold and tune.

1/ Midrange: This first comparison shows 2.2bar boost. The yellow line is the A90 2 port head VS. the blue line of A91 6 port head. First few pulls after the 6port head and turbo manifold install - the 6 port (blue line) consistently gained ~200ft lbs of torque at 4500rpm and carried those gains through the rpm band. zero loss of performance anywhere. this is absolutely massive.
1628612131796.png

2/ Top end: the 2 port head (yellow line) chokes at 32 psi (2.2Bar) boost. Porting, cams, valves, etc won't make more power.

But the 6 port (blue and red lines) is operating on another level entirely. The red line added here shows the 6 port head at 38psi (2.6 Bar) boost and the turbo is able to stretch its legs. <995whp without nitrous>
1628612268681.png

3/ ALL IN + 50 shot nitrous. The 2 port head all-in @ 32psi + nitrous (red line, 1008hp) VS the 6 port head 36psi + nitrous (blue line, 1098hp)

1628612495266.png

at this power level the 2 port head is completely choked and the nitrous is not helping. After trying every trick possible to get more from the 2 port, the HP and Torque fall off in the upper RPMs ... while the 6 port head is steady at ~1100hp. We did not want to push the 6 port motor any harder on the dyno, will save that for the track

Toyota / BMW did their homework on the A91 cylinder head - if you are planning to make power on an A90 - this head swap will prove to be the way to do it. Just like 2jz/vvti swaps, evo9 heads on evo8, nissan sr20VET, Honda LS/Vtec or H22/H23 and many others. head swaps are part of the horsepower game. If you're still reading this, and want to nerd out more - there are some links on the turbo system design process here:
https://blogs.solidworks.com/tech/2021/07/2021-toyota-supra-turbo-manifold-part-1.html
https://blogs.solidworks.com/tech/2021/07/2021-toyota-supra-turbo-manifold-part-2.html

Axix23

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
NA
100% false. the 6 port head spools earlier, creates more torque, and loses NOTHING to the 2020. this cylinder head is a game changer for this platform, make no mistake. anybody disagreeing with me has not done this yet and is "most likely" regurgitating second hand info which is not reality.

Yes my team has been through a head swap with a 6 port head on a 2020 2 port supra. And the OEM tune is a non issue, tuning is mandatory when performing heavy modification
You are absolutely correct, it’s definitely a game changer for burning oil………… lmao ?

Bflood

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
3.0 Premium
YES. to be clear: the 6 port head is a direct plug and play upgrade for the 2 port head. Everything from cams and valves / springs / retainers / Sensors / injectors / fuel pump are all the same and can be swapped over. Dyno comparisons below. We're using borgwarner's EFR9280 turbo with Full Race twinscroll kit, and standalone motec ecu. the ONLY changes here are 6 port cylinder head + 6 port exhaust manifold and tune.

1/ Midrange: This first comparison shows 2.2bar boost. The yellow line is the A90 2 port head VS. the blue line of A91 6 port head. First few pulls after the 6port head and turbo manifold install - the 6 port (blue line) consistently gained ~200ft lbs of torque at 4500rpm and carried those gains through the rpm band. zero loss of performance anywhere. this is absolutely massive.

2/ Top end: the 2 port head (yellow line) chokes at 32 psi (2.2Bar) boost. Porting, cams, valves, etc won't make more power.

But the 6 port (blue and red lines) is operating on another level entirely. The red line added here shows the 6 port head at 38psi (2.6 Bar) boost and the turbo is able to stretch its legs. <995whp without nitrous>

3/ ALL IN + 50 shot nitrous. The 2 port head all-in @ 32psi + nitrous (red line, 1008hp) VS the 6 port head 36psi + nitrous (blue line, 1098hp)

at this power level the 2 port head is completely choked and the nitrous is not helping. After trying every trick possible to get more from the 2 port, the HP and Torque fall off in the upper RPMs ... while the 6 port head is steady at ~1100hp. We did not want to push the 6 port motor any harder on the dyno, will save that for the track

Toyota / BMW did their homework on the A91 cylinder head - if you are planning to make power on an A90 - this head swap will prove to be the way to do it. Just like 2jz/vvti swaps, evo9 heads on evo8, nissan sr20VET, Honda LS/Vtec or H22/H23 and many others. head swaps are part of the horsepower game. If you're still reading this, and want to nerd out more - there are some links on the turbo system design process here:
https://blogs.solidworks.com/tech/2021/07/2021-toyota-supra-turbo-manifold-part-1.html
https://blogs.solidworks.com/tech/2021/07/2021-toyota-supra-turbo-manifold-part-2.html
There are plenty of people running the 2-port variant making the same power levels with an equally smooth curve as your 6-port.

Is it too late to get your money back?

OP
OP
Rustyscrew

Rustyscrew

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
15 Tundra, 21 Supra, 66 VW Bus
There are plenty of people running the 2-port variant making the same power levels with an equally smooth curve as your 6-port.

Is it too late to get your money back?
Yes I've see people running that kind of power as well, but if the 6 port has the potential for more and there is proof that it does, then I don't think it would be a waste of money. They already have a lot invested into it. It's just another cost to playing the game for people who are making that kind of serious power.

Bflood

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
3.0 Premium
Yes I've see people running that kind of power as well, but if the 6 port has the potential for more and there is proof that it does, then I don't think it would be a waste of money. They already have a lot invested into it. It's just another cost to playing the game for people who are making that kind of serious power.
It'd still be a waste unless you plan on spending 10k on head work. (valves, cams, port/ polish)

wheeliedub

First Name
Eli
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota GR Supra 3.0 Premium
People are getting too invested into this thread and it should be cleared up that yes, the 6-port head is proving to be more efficient on aftermarket turbo setups. The 2-port is still capable of hitting the same targets that the 6-port is, however people are finding that by doing the conversion to a 6-port head, they are able to make more power efficiently on the top end with less drop off as you reach redline.

I know of multiple people who are doing the conversion (tuners and shops included) after seeing the capability of the 6-port head with big boost. I’m not sure why everyone is arguing over this topic. Yes, the conversion is costly and not everyone will care about the improvement over the stock setup of the 2020 2-port head. Then again the diehard people who are doing this change are already heavily invested into the platform and are willing to spend 10K+ to shave off tenths-of-a-second just to set records with the platform.

Heck, it’s almost disgusting how much I’ve thrown into my 21’ just to get to 900hp. If I had a 2020, I would be spending the additional money myself to get a 6-port.

TLDR; 6-port is better, 2-port still makes great power. This conversion is for those who want to push their 2020s to extremes, not the average owner who will run only dp, port-injection, and stock-frame turbos.

METAL

First Name
K2
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra 3.0 Premium (Tungsten Silver)
"not the average owner who will run only dp, port-injection, and stock-frame turbos."

:agree:
Sponsored