A90 Supra life cycle: Incremental updates? New variants coming? What's next?

imoj1

First Name
Omran
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
95' Supra, '15 Maserati, '98 Skyline, '15 Mustang, M5
what do you mean by this?
I mean we hope the new supras after 2020 say 2021 won't be so different engine wise.
We need consistency to get better results after market development focus on 1 engine.
Also, I hope Toyota stay away from making more editions of the car because that will only raise the price and there will be very expensive upgrades within the Toyota.
I want the car to stay as it is and be modded and upgraded only by after market, this what will make it more fun and less money to spend.
Sponsored

jtsang25

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2009 BMW 135i, 2020 Toyota GR Supra
I mean we hope the new supras after 2020 say 2021 won't be so different engine wise.
We need consistency to get better results after market development focus on 1 engine.
Also, I hope Toyota stay away from making more editions of the car because that will only raise the price and there will be very expensive upgrades within the Toyota.
I want the car to stay as it is and be modded and upgraded only by after market, this what will make it more fun and less money to spend.
Ya that's not happening. They've made it clear they are upgrading year to year.

ynguldyn

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A better one
BMW lifecycle approach does apply to the Supra.

The current model lineup is going to continue until June 2022. In July 2022, the new facelifted version will start production. Right now it seems the facelift is not going to significantly change the hardware: worldwide, there will still be four models like today (two B48s and two B58s), but they will likely use refreshed versions of the same engines, with the US market getting two models out of four with the higher spec B48 and B58. I can't say yet what performance the engine updates will bring but judging from recent history, the improvements will be small. However, we should expect the refresh to add the 48V electrical system, which is known to provide a small performance bump on its own.

There will be no major updates and no new models before July 2022. Some tuning, maybe creature comforts - sure, just to keep things fresh. But that's all.

jtsang25

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2009 BMW 135i, 2020 Toyota GR Supra
BMW lifecycle approach does apply to the Supra.

The current model lineup is going to continue until June 2022. In July 2022, the new facelifted version will start production. Right now it seems the facelift is not going to significantly change the hardware: worldwide, there will still be four models like today (two B48s and two B58s), but they will likely use refreshed versions of the same engines, with the US market getting two models out of four with the higher spec B48 and B58. I can't say yet what performance the engine updates will bring but judging from recent history, the improvements will be small. However, we should expect the refresh to add the 48V electrical system, which is known to provide a small performance bump on its own.

There will be no major updates and no new models before July 2022. Some tuning, maybe creature comforts - sure, just to keep things fresh. But that's all.
Source? Because a different engine after one year is a big change and another special edition we got the A91. Who says 2022 we dont get another change.

Dannyvandelft

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ordered A91 edition Supra
There's gonna be a Special Edition every year. But all it really is, is paint and stitching. Mechanically it's no different than a Premium. I doubt we will see a different engine again, unless the GRMN gets an S engine, for at least a few years.
Europe's Special Edition was called the A90 Edition so it stands to reason we'll see an A92 Edition next year.

MA617M

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
lots
Source? Because a different engine after one year is a big change and another special edition we got the A91. Who says 2022 we dont get another change.
ynguldyn is a prominent member of bimmerpost and has a long history of reliable insider data regarding production and model changes plans.

trakday

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Car(s)
1969 Camaro Z/28 Trans Am race car, 2011 E92 M3 GTS, 1997 E36 M3 race car, 2020 GR SUPRA, 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 Trail Boss
The next Supra should be...

This is my opinion and everyone has their own so keep hate and comments to a minimum.

Would be nice if this can get to Toyota, so lets get a poll?

Now onto what I feel the next model should be:
Track version, GTS, Clubsport.

Power has increased in the 2021 model and that is great! but and there is always a but.....the car needs to be lighter.
Increasing power isn't always the answer and this is the direction where cars are going. Heavier cars and more power, this to me is wrong. I come from a background of Motorsport and for anyone that has driven a sub 3k lb car will know the Go-Kart feel will always be much more rewarding overall.
So, the new Supra should obviously shed some weight. Carbon roof, take some weight off the front of the car, Manual cloth seats with better bolstering, No Radio, Take out the subs in the rear, 18" wheels, Rear lexan instead of glass.

All this is so simple to make the car much more agile and lighter feeling..so TOYOTA LETS GO! Lets get a hardcore Track Model going!

ihc95

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2018 Mustang GT; Past: E92 335i
Personally I'm not too interested in a track version. I think the Supra is nearly perfect as is, and I even find the 3400lb weight is actually impressive for a modern sports car with all the necessary safety and tech (the new 911 weighs the same, but is 2x the cost). I love the looks of the car too, but I still hope the facelift will look something like this:

supra_render.jpg

Supraboi7

First Name
Johnny Boi
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Toyota Supra
Personally I'm not too interested in a track version. I think the Supra is nearly perfect as is, and I even find the 3400lb weight is actually impressive for a modern sports car with all the necessary safety and tech (the new 911 weighs the same, but is 2x the cost). I love the looks of the car too, but I still hope the facelift will look something like this:

supra_render.jpg
Surprised nobody's made that front bumper yet, wouldn't be impossible to swap over the bumper sensors,

And a targa top would be amazing for next year!

DesmoSD

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1993.5 Supra TT, 997.1 911 Carrera S, 1199 Panigale S
This is my opinion and everyone has their own so keep hate and comments to a minimum.

Would be nice if this can get to Toyota, so lets get a poll?

Now onto what I feel the next model should be:
Track version, GTS, Clubsport.

Power has increased in the 2021 model and that is great! but and there is always a but.....the car needs to be lighter.
Increasing power isn't always the answer and this is the direction where cars are going. Heavier cars and more power, this to me is wrong. I come from a background of Motorsport and for anyone that has driven a sub 3k lb car will know the Go-Kart feel will always be much more rewarding overall.
So, the new Supra should obviously shed some weight. Carbon roof, take some weight off the front of the car, Manual cloth seats with better bolstering, No Radio, Take out the subs in the rear, 18" wheels, Rear lexan instead of glass.

All this is so simple to make the car much more agile and lighter feeling..so TOYOTA LETS GO! Lets get a hardcore Track Model going!
Wait, what do you want? A lightweight version or a hardcore track model?

supra-gt4-back-1572372263.jpg?crop=0.915xw:0.686xh;0.0425xw,0.jpg

https://www.supramkv.com/threads/to...nce-sales-of-gr-supra-gt4-in-march-2020.2734/

trakday

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Car(s)
1969 Camaro Z/28 Trans Am race car, 2011 E92 M3 GTS, 1997 E36 M3 race car, 2020 GR SUPRA, 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 Trail Boss

Dannyvandelft

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ordered A91 edition Supra

supra_render.jpg
Maybe it's just me, but I think that's awful. Looks like a retarded Miata face.

redspencer

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A91 Refraction Blue Supra; Track-tuned IS350 w/ OS Giken TCD
Love that car and the testing ive been seeing on the GT4 the last 1.5 years but...a Clubsport, Porsche GT3/GT4 ...good for street but dominates track. But that Supra GT4 is $180K. A weeee bit too much clams.
The rumored GRMN Supra is anticipated to be a street version of the Supra GT4 and is speculated to have a MSRP of ~$85k.

20190426_NEW77_GRMN_01.jpg

trakday

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Car(s)
The rumored GRMN Supra is anticipated to be a street version of the Supra GT4 and is speculated to have a MSRP of ~$85k.

20190426_NEW77_GRMN_01.jpg
ok now that's cool...but better be a stripped down version. Yes Porsche is know for Motorsport heritage and they really express it in their road cars. the RS for instance, rear poly windows, lighter, no garbage on the steering wheel. Just you and the car and that Hefty price tag lol. Fingers crossed Toyota will do something close to that.

DesmoSD

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1993.5 Supra TT, 997.1 911 Carrera S, 1199 Panigale S
Love that car and the testing ive been seeing on the GT4 the last 1.5 years but...a Clubsport, Porsche GT3/GT4 ...good for street but dominates track. But that Supra GT4 is $180K. A weeee bit too much clams.
Ah, so essentially a CSL, GT4 or the upcoming GRMN version.

Porsche Clubsport's are not street legal. If you want radio delete, lightweight windows or any of those lightweight additions all through Exclusive Manufaktur, you might as well look towards Porsche or aftermarket for the Supra. Toyota won't offer anything like this from the factory. They never had and never will.

attachment.jpg

porsche-911-gt3-997-gt3-S3556101-11.jpg

SKU991RSRWINDOW.jpg

Lightweight plastic Euro Spec RS rear window. Not compatible with rear defroster.

A weight-saving piece which comes standard on Euro "RS" models, this is the light weight plexiglass rear window. It is approximately 6 lbs lighter than the standard glass. Fits all 2013-2019 911 Carrera Coupe models without a rear wiper (including GT3, RS, 911R, GTS, & standard 911 models).
porsche%20lightweight%20rear%20side%20window%20plastic%20911r%20gt3.jpg

Lightweight plastic Euro Spec RS rear side windows. Comes with the driver side and passenger side rear windows. Made of plastic, each window weighs under 2 lbs. A minor weight reduction over the stock windows. A drop-in replacement for your original windows, professional installation recommended. Fits all 2013-2019 911 Carrera coupe models (including GT3, RS, 911R, GTS, and standard 911). Intended for cars with black window trim (contact us if you want to convert from chrome style to black window surround trim). This is a race part intended for race cars, use at your own risk.
Minor modifications required for some models. Professional installation is recommended. Genuine Porsche Part
Sponsored