A90 Supra life cycle: Incremental updates? New variants coming? What's next?

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'93 Lexus SC300 2JZGTE R154 LSD & 2023 GR86 6MT
Umm.. If 2023 is the last year, then there would be no MY24s, not MY23s. I don't claim to know anything - I said rumour - but MY23s existing is not a really a valid argument for production not ending this calendar year. 🤷‍♂️
I understand where you're coming from but I do not think this is the case at all. I haven't heard of this particular rumor until it was mentioned in this thread. Toyota JUST introduced the MY2023 variant with a new manual transmission. I think they will want to milk sales of that costly to develop manual transmission for as long as the car has been planned to stay in production.

There has been absolutely no word at all that the current new models will be the last. Some time back A70TTR had said to us that the Supra MKV was on a 7-year production timeline (starting in 2019 for Japanese sales) with BMW and Magna-Steyr. Toyota doesn't have any kind of suitable replacement (Supra or not) until 2025 at the earliest. They have everything to gain and more to lose by canceling the next three remaining model years of the Supra MKV prematurely. Also I think Akio Toyoda wants this generation of the Supra to finish its run as originally planned.

It would be VERY surprising news if this were not the case.

It makes no sense that MY23 is the last year of production when they have spent so much money on developing the 6MT for the Supra...also why would MY23 be the last year if the Z4 is still in production? Given the new Z is going to be around for quite some time (even the 14 years old GTR got a lifeline with the new MY24), there is no way Toyota will can it without another halo car.

When the Z4 ends, Toyota has at least 2 options if they want to continue on with the current Supra

1. When the initial partnership was instigated, the binding agreement was that BMW has the responsibility to support all the parts as long as the Supra is still in production, irrespective of the EOP schedule of the Z4. This may or may not be the case.

2. Moved the manufacturing back to Japan, they have all the technical specs and blueprints on all the parts so they can get their local contractors to manufacture all the parts and the assembling done at the GR plant in Motomachi. The motor will be Toyota's given how much they have learnt from the B58, they now have the capability to engineer a better version of it. This makes the Supra a 100% Toyota car from a manufacturing perspective, shutting up most of the boring old critics and will also help with the local parts industry. They might even call it the A100, pretty much like what Porsche did with the 718 given that it is actually an evolution of the 981.
^^ I agree with all of this except for #2.

Anything is possible with Toyota's money but I don't think they will move main production of the Supra MKV to Motomachi. They're already having enough issues producing enough GR Corollas there and other models made at that plant. MAYBE they'd do it for a limited number of Supra GRMNs (and even that is a stretch unless a GRMN uses a nearly completed regular Supra from Magna-Steyr as a base that the Motomachi folks then work over)... but not for the rest of the Supra models.

Further, *new production* of this Supra series will end with the final MY2026 models... and this is due to a multitude of reasons that would impede new sales of this configuration much longer past actual year 2025. So Toyota investing big money in bringing all the Supra tooling, molds, machinery and other apparatus back to Japan just to finish out the last couple of model years doesn't make much sense for them.

I can see some VERY limited case finalizing of GRMN Supras at Motomachi (maybe...?) or possible takeover of making replacement parts for these cars over the long term if Magna-Steyr cannot do it for the usual 15+ years after the final model year (which would mean long term service parts could begin to be discontinued for the Supra MKV series as early as 2041) but I think all those arrangements have already been made when Toyota, BMW and Magna-Steyr first inked their contracts.

BMWAF

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Car(s)
'23 Supra; '08 Civic Type R; '91 VN Commodore.
There are rumors and there is BS. This one is latter...
I'm not disagreeing with that. In fact, if I was a betting man I'd be betting on 2025 being the final year, be it MY25 or MY26.. but as we all know, stranger things have happened.

PerformanceSound

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Tundra TRD Pro, 1994 MKIV Supra TT
Vehicle Showcase
You guys will not be disappointed.

mkivalex

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1993 MKIV Supra TT 6SPD
When do you think they will announce the 24's I an curious if they added any new colours and if they will do a special edition