A91-MT 10k Mile Status Update

puckshaw

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 CU Later A91-MT
Just wanted to put people at ease after usually only seeing clutch slipping threads for the manuals. I've had my A91-MT since last October and daily drive it year round. Just hit 10k miles today. Other than a couple minor interior creaks, the car has been flawless. I have fun with the car every chance I get but don't abuse it or act like a jackass. It's been to the mountains a couple times for some twisty drives but never done any track time. I'm at stock power levels. The clutch feels just as strong as the day I bought it. It's not a ton of miles but so far so good.
Sponsored

Isaleus

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
CUL A91-MT , 2008 Orange GMC Canyon
13k miles with no issues.

Did accidently forget to rev match one time on the track when I was down shifting from 4th to 3rd and was just coasting long enough for the rev match to drop. locked the whole rear end while it played catch up.

But that was 3k miles ago and everything still seems very solid.

Jmanlevan

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'23 Supra 3.0 MT, '00 4Runner SR5
I'm at 6,400 miles on stock power, so not as much as you guys, but same here--no clutch slipping issues so far! Hope this car continues to be a pleasurable owner experience because so far it has been amazing!

DrSupra

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Supra 3.0 Premium MT
Just passed 8K on my MT premium. Absolutely zero issues, as good as the day I drove it off the lot - knock on wood. Feels like my clutch and shifter feel have only gotten better with time. Love the car. It's perfect. It's not an A91 but I like to see good things about the manual after seeing all the kerfuffle in the clutch slipping threads here. I could be wrong but I suspect the majority of cars are just fine and we just hear a ton about the problem cars or at least not as much from the people without issues.

I think my only scare was my own dumb fault and from paranoia caused by the clutch slipping thread - there was one time that I had rev matching on and went for a 1 to 2 shift under acceleration. The tach flew toward redline when I put the clutch in. I immediately let the revs drop and went gingerly into second....I thought for about five minutes my clutch slipped but it's perfectly good - this hasn't happened again in about 1000 miles, can't replicate it, and it passed all clutch slip tests. I've never ever smelled burned clutch in the life of the car. My suspicion is that I may have touched the shifter in such a way that I tricked the rev matching into thinking I was going to go back into first instead of second and it rev matched accordingly. The alternative is that I left my foot on the gas a bit when i put the clutch in but I'm very mindful of never doing that. For context, this is my first manual car with rev matching and prefer not to use it but can only turn it off in sport mode....that's probably my only grips with the car but the solution is easy- sport mode.

Last edited:

Crypto79

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Supra A91 MT, 1997 sc300 5 Speed
6900 miles since Oct 22 in my a91 mt. Limited usage but about 5 road trips and a few dozen fun drives. No issues other than an overboost engine code on a 100 degree day driving 7 hours back from the fingers lakes to DC last summer. I had the JB+ at max and I was playing with a modded Mazda3 speed well into triple digit territory. I dialed back the JB+ and cleared the code and no issues since for about 1500 miles.

Sharocks

First Name
Sha
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
23 A91 MT, 04 M3, 05 M3, 00 M5, 00 Z3M, 04 X5 6MT
2400 miles on mine since last November.

It drives like a BMW.

Tacoma714

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Supra A91 CU Later Grey, 2015 Taccoma, 2013 A
Just wanted to put people at ease after usually only seeing clutch slipping threads for the manuals. I've had my A91-MT since last October and daily drive it year round. Just hit 10k miles today. Other than a couple minor interior creaks, the car has been flawless. I have fun with the car every chance I get but don't abuse it or act like a jackass. It's been to the mountains a couple times for some twisty drives but never done any track time. I'm at stock power levels. The clutch feels just as strong as the day I bought it. It's not a ton of miles but so far so good.
4,053 miles here and have had my 2023 A91 since February 2023 and it has been an absolute pleasure. My only issue recently was because I think I got some moisture inside the car by the pedals and the clutch pedal started making creeking noises so I sprayed some lubricant to no longer drive me crazy. Aside from that , it has been a pleasure. I once floored it in 2nd gear and for people who don't know, 2nd gear in the B58TU specially how the manuals are geared, puts you back in your seat and I shifted from 2nd to 5th by mistake, but my mph were up in that range so nothing happened. I had never skipped gears but I guess it's an actual thing some people do when in the proper speed ranges. My only complaint is I wish it had better tires stock and maybe didn't feel so tuned down if that makes sense, forcing a lot of people to unlock for $2k with Femto. My favorite modification was the CDV delete. Not joking it made my shifts feel normal unlike that jerky 1st to 2nd stock.

BMWAF

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Car(s)
'23 Supra; '08 Civic Type R; '91 VN Commodore.
I once floored it in 2nd gear and for people who don't know, 2nd gear in the B58TU specially how the manuals are geared, puts you back in your seat
I find third gear is the go gear in this car.

and I shifted from 2nd to 5th by mistake, but my mph were up in that range so nothing happened.
Skipping gears on the upshift shouldn't ever be an issue if your revs are up. If they're not up you're just going to enter a slow zone until the revs build (not ideal) or you downshift.

Skipping gears during downshifts is when you might encounter waterworks.

My favorite modification was the CDV delete. Not joking it made my shifts feel normal unlike that jerky 1st to 2nd stock.
Dude.. I'm almost convinced. I'm going to see how much this will cost me to get done. Is a CDV delete easily reversible?

NitroYellowMKV

Silver Sponsor
First Name
Phillip
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Burnout A91 MT
closing in at 8k miles, and still pretty damn happy, Have not had the clutch slip in a little while but I know if I replicate the conditions it will probably do it, luckily I am not really pinning it in 1st so I not a huge problem for me. I think CDV delete is next on the list for me. Still unsure if I will ever be unlocking and tuning this one, still debating the dinan piggyback.

ColonelAdama

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Absolute Zero Supra 3.0 Premium MT, 2015 GTI
3300ish miles on my MT, had it for nearly 11 months.

Clutch is completely fine. Been JB+/JB4 tuned for 2500 miles. No clutch slip, no clutch smell. Nothing weird at all to report, other than like others said: the clutch pedal feel is meh and a bit vague due to CDV.

cbring

First Name
Chaz
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'23 A91 Cu Later
I've done only 2000 miles but everything seems OK.. except for that godawful 1-2 shift.
two ways i get it a little smoother:
1. Make a super quick aggressive shift from 1-2 even at low speeds
2. hold the clutch in for an extra half second after completing the shift

Edit:
Also no issues here - no smell, no slip but I have very low miles..

sup.dc2

First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Mk5mt. DC2. T4R. e46
7k miles, stock power weekend car. 3 track days and launched it a handful of times. clutch still acts like its day 1.
As far as rest of the car. some interior noises, audio sucks, elbow hits coffee when i shift into 4th. ac turns on when i shift into 3rd. phone boils over in the tray. steering wheel feels wonky to hold.

loving every mile though.
Sponsored