Accidentally "curbed" over a new speed bump

Brianmz

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 and 2022 Premium Supra, 2024 45th anniversary
Good evening, accidentally curbed over a new speed bump(6 inch concrete) at night in my neighborhood and scratched the bottom of my passenger side, alignment and everything seems fine but the passenger side bumper got pushed up can see how much by the small scratch i assume it got from the hood, how bad of a repair will it be?

20220320_192011.jpg

20220320_191954.jpg
Sponsored

XtremeMaC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
if you aren't ticked off by the misaligned bumper, leave the paint be ?

joking aside to do it right, file/sand/putty/prime/paint. not much different than if you had chips. but I'd say putty is required to fill it. I think location is good for easy repair, as in easier to conceal...

alternatively, easier option, if you have a heat gun, maybe try some mid setting and push them inwards, soft sand and leave it be.... my humble opinion..

Heavy Foot

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra. 2018 Mazda Miata RF. 2020 Range Rover.
Good evening, accidentally curbed over a new speed bump(6 inch concrete) at night in my neighborhood and scratched the bottom of my passenger side, alignment and everything seems fine but the passenger side bumper got pushed up can see how much by the small scratch i assume it got from the hood, how bad of a repair will it be?

20220320_192011.jpg

20220320_191954.jpg
Worst case scenario, it will roughly be about $800-900 for a full re-spray for the bumper.

sojusoulja

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1996 BB NSX, 2003 GPW S2000
I heard you also have to have the dealer recalibrate the bumper sensor if you remove the bumper. And it's pricey

OP
OP
Brianmz

Brianmz

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Thanks for the replies, I will check how much recalibrating at cost if needed, our body shop guy says he can do it for 150-200 to realign bumper and take care of that scratch, just a bit annoying since i babied this, while the 2020 i was rough on and no damage, will post an update.

Mason

First Name
Mason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0
I heard you also have to have the dealer recalibrate the bumper sensor if you remove the bumper. And it's pricey
What would happen if you removed the bumper without it getting recalibrated?

B58_ hwAyaq

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra (sold), 2023 F150 Tremor
What would happen if you removed the bumper without it getting recalibrated?
People have upgraded their horns and had to remove the bumper without recalibration. Search the forum for those examples. Not sure where the other info is coming from, but I’m open to learning something new.

XtremeMaC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
Removing/reinstalling bumper does not necessitate recalibration, that's assuming you install it back properly. There are mounting features on bumper that help you install properly both at the top, center, at the bottom and sides....

I don't know who in the right mind would bake a bumper with sensors and harness on.
If you bake it without those and it shrinks, then yes, the position of sensors and radar changes, thus would be out of whack. Toyota recommends calibration in that case, as in if it's baked, afaik. Your sensors would simply not work as expected. You may get warnings on dash.

OP
OP
Brianmz

Brianmz

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Got the car checked out today, no underside damage, just needed a small alignment, and checked with body shop guy, 150 to paint bumper and realign, and 45 for passenger side black pieces that goes below after a small discount.

Attachments

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra - Nocturnal Black
Got the car checked out today, no underside damage, just needed a small alignment, and checked with body shop guy, 150 to paint bumper and realign, and 45 for passenger side black pieces that goes below after a small discount.
Not too bad at all. I'd be shocked if you needed the sensors realigned. It doesn't look that bad.

Mason

First Name
Mason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0
Removing/reinstalling bumper does not necessitate recalibration, that's assuming you install it back properly. There are mounting features on bumper that help you install properly both at the top, center, at the bottom and sides....

I don't know who in the right mind would bake a bumper with sensors and harness on.
If you bake it without those and it shrinks, then yes, the position of sensors and radar changes, thus would be out of whack. Toyota recommends calibration in that case, as in if it's baked, afaik. Your sensors would simply not work as expected. You may get warnings on dash.
I just ask because my parking sensors have never worked since a shop removed the front bumper. I wonder if I need a recalibration

XtremeMaC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
never worked as in absolutely no video/audio/etc. from parking sensors?
both front/rear bumper???

calibration, imho would throw incorrect results. if it never worked, without waiting for your answer, it's stupid, but maybe they didn't attach the harness to the body harness. There are two on each side of the front bumper..

Davedaveee

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Supra GR Premium 3.0
I've learned that cars get beat up no matter how well we try to take care of them. Maybe try to get the bumper realigned but id prolly drive it for a few years and worry about it later if you plan to keep the car long term. Just my 2 cents.

somekindafuzz

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0
I've learned that cars get beat up no matter how well we try to take care of them. Maybe try to get the bumper realigned but id prolly drive it for a few years and worry about it later if you plan to keep the car long term. Just my 2 cents.
Agree. Crunched the lip and just replaced the $50 plastic bit. I’ll get a new bumper after it gets a little more beat up. Too much stress otherwise.
Sponsored