adding downforce with rear spoiler/duckbill

sams2k

First Name
sam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2003 turbo s2k, 2017 cadillac atsv, 2022 supra 3.0
i would like to try and add some downforce to my car, but i dont want to drill holes in my trunk and put a big wing, and also dont want the extra police attention.
can a lower rear spoiler or duckbill help?
does it worth it?
Sponsored

GRMan

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Too many
i would like to try and add some downforce to my car, but i dont want to drill holes in my trunk and put a big wing, and also dont want the extra police attention.
can a lower rear spoiler or duckbill help?
does it worth it?
A wing (even a lowish one) will give you more stability at the rear but unfortunately you have to drill. Check out the track time difference between no wing, stock low wing & GT wing on the Rx7.

【ダウンフォース】GTウイングでどれだけ変わる!?ラーマン山田の人体実験 !!本物か見せかけだけのシロモノかは走ってみればわかる【VIDEO OPTION切り抜き RE雨宮 FD3S】 (youtube.com)

noogie

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
23 Supra
You can run a diffuser or a splitter if you don’t want a big wang

Rocksandblues

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra, e46 M3, diesel BMW e90, GL450
Be a whole lot more race cars with duckbills if they worked….

I can tell you on THIS platform- which I believe is the topic- my lap times dropped dramatically going from froo froo duck bill to real aero. My home track (1000 laps). Uphill Esses speed increased 10mph

The whole convo may be moot- street speeds are not fast enough to take advantage in any significant way. So get what you like basically.

-w ❤

OP
OP
sams2k

sams2k

First Name
sam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2003 turbo s2k, 2017 cadillac atsv, 2022 supra 3.0
If a tiny duckbill wing tacked on with tape does anything noteworthy to a car's down force you can call me Susan. Surely these are cosmetic, at best.
i use to have one on my atsv.
something like the one on the c7 Z06 with the earo package

garudathree

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
991gt3rs
re PR material: aero maps would be a lot more useful as a published metric for these "packages", vs a line chart that basically just shows v^2... even a simple table of l/d f&r for a single speed is more useful.
e.g. this:
NLR_med_downforce_kit_for_miata_600x600.jpg

re adding aero: aero balance makes a bigger difference in laptimes, but a poor one with massive rear imbalance (static margin) adds to driver confidence when they first start out with aero (e.g. "look how long i can keep the throttle pinned and plow through a corner with high scrub")