AFE or Borla ATAK catback?

Rando75

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
The Borla has ZERO drone...

Steve
Btw...the sound doesn't fall off in higher rpm range like a lot of exhaust do...

Steve
@freeform911
Although I can't say I like the tips on the Borla I think I might be sold because of these two posts.

With a muffler on the left side only and the valved side being straight out, would you say the difference between open and closed (normal and sport) is substantial? Are you running the stock downpipe?

freeform911

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 a91 edition Supra 2016 Lexus rc f BMW 435I
With the valve closed it's almost stock quiet (good tone)..
With the valve open it's a nice little growl..
Borla really starts to sing in the upper rpm range...it sounds great..
The difference between the two is definitely noticeable but not obnoxious..

I orginally was running a stock dp which suppressed some of the sound..
I now have an AA catted dp which increased the sound quite a bit ( in a good way)...

I will say I'm very disappointed in the carbon fiber tips...they have turned brown from the exhaust heat (burnt resin)...this has happened on 2 separate borla exhaust for my car..
I love the way it sounds so I try n look past the tips but when I get a little motivation I think I'm gonna try n get some AWE tips put on...

Hope this helps

Steve

@freeform911
Although I can't say I like the tips on the Borla I think I might be sold because of these two posts.

With a muffler on the left side only and the valved side being straight out, would you say the difference between open and closed (normal and sport) is substantial? Are you running the stock downpipe?

Meraki Autoworks

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.merakiautoworks.com
Car(s)
2020 Toyota Supra
@freeform911

We have a batch coming in end of this month.

-Josh

Rando75

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
With the valve closed it's almost stock quiet (good tone)..
With the valve open it's a nice little growl..
Borla really starts to sing in the upper rpm range...it sounds great..
The difference between the two is definitely noticeable but not obnoxious..

I orginally was running a stock dp which suppressed some of the sound..
I now have an AA catted dp which increased the sound quite a bit ( in a good way)...

I will say I'm very disappointed in the carbon fiber tips...they have turned brown from the exhaust heat (burnt resin)...this has happened on 2 separate borla exhaust for my car..
I love the way it sounds so I try n look past the tips but when I get a little motivation I think I'm gonna try n get some AWE tips put on...

Hope this helps

Steve
Thanks Steve, that is helpful.

Bummer about the tips but good to know that opening the valves makes a noticeable difference and that it sings up top. Some setups seem to make more noise at lower revs rather than high which makes no sense to me.

How's the cold start with the addition of the downpipe? Pissed off any neighbors yet?

Grady60

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2013 Toyota Prius Persona Series
Saw a video of a Mustang Shelby GT500 with the Borla Atak. It was eye-opening to say the least.

freeform911

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Cold start sounds pretty awesome...it's like a little snarl...
The dp definitely made a noticeable difference in that aspect...probably 30-40% louder than stock..

My daughters bmw 435i has an AWE..on cold start her car is a little louder n sounds good but once warmed up is pretty quiet..

My wifes Lexus rcf has an Ark performance exhaust n that thing sets off the alarms on both mine n my daughters cars...it sounds like a beast..haha..

I think my wifes car pisses the neighbors off more than mine does...and I ok with that?

Steve

Thanks Steve, that is helpful.

Bummer about the tips but good to know that opening the valves makes a noticeable difference and that it sings up top. Some setups seem to make more noise at lower revs rather than high which makes no sense to me.

How's the cold start with the addition of the downpipe? Pissed off any neighbors yet?

badwolfe

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 A91, 2021 Jeep Gladiator
Cold start sounds pretty awesome...it's like a little snarl...
The dp definitely made a noticeable difference in that aspect...probably 30-40% louder than stock..

My daughters bmw 435i has an AWE..on cold start her car is a little louder n sounds good but once warmed up is pretty quiet..

My wifes Lexus rcf has an Ark performance exhaust n that thing sets off the alarms on both mine n my daughters cars...it sounds like a beast..haha..

I think my wifes car pisses the neighbors off more than mine does...and I ok with that?

Steve
Thinking of getting either the aFe or the Borla- On the Borla - how much does the tip protrude compared to the stock? I really like how the stock tip is kinda "tucked" into the valence panel - does the Borla protrude more or ?? TIA

freeform911

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Thinking of getting either the aFe or the Borla- On the Borla - how much does the tip protrude compared to the stock? I really like how the stock tip is kinda "tucked" into the valence panel - does the Borla protrude more or ?? TIA
the tips stick out just a bit.. I’d guess 1.5” but the tips are also angle cut to flow with the valance..
I personally like the way it looks..

this is the best pic I have that will show the tips.. zoom in a bit n you’ll see..

Steve

btw.. Josh @Meraki Autoworks is you man for parts.. good dude!

02FC89E2-1C63-467E-9EC3-CD896AEC19B0.jpeg

badwolfe

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 A91, 2021 Jeep Gladiator
the tips stick out just a bit.. I’d guess 1.5” but the tips are also angle cut to flow with the valance..
I personally like the way it looks..

this is the best pic I have that will show the tips.. zoom in a bit n you’ll see..

Steve

btw.. Josh @Meraki Autoworks is you man for parts.. good dude!

02FC89E2-1C63-467E-9EC3-CD896AEC19B0.jpeg
Thanks for the quick reply -the do look nice and the protrusion looks to be good - I think it would work for me... Thanks again!

freeform911

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Thanks for the quick reply -the do look nice and the protrusion looks to be good - I think it would work for me... Thanks again!
you’re welcome..
I personally love the tone.. definitely isn’t obnoxiously loud..
Good luck

Steve

kaiv

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
E46, E39
AFE is 3" single into dual 2.5"
Borla is 3.5" single into dual 3"
Might not matter at stock power levels but something to consider nonetheless.
Sponsored