Analysis, Comments & Reactions from the Web about the new Supra

FasTTurbo

First Name
matt
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
94 Supra 6spd (RR) - 94 Supra 6spd (Alpine)
I was referring to this forum, not others. And never posted or have an account on supraforums. I’m on Porsche, bmw, and Mercedes forums in the past.
Cool man.
Sponsored

twntrbo03'

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1998 Supra Turbo Quicksilver ---1993 Supra Turbo Anthracite --- 2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser 4x4
In all honesty it should have been named the new Celica or like how FasTTurbo said the true GT-86/FRS. I honestly try to get excited about this car, but the more I think about it the more annoyed I get about it. I hated the GT-R when it came out and I'm still not a huge fan, but have warmed up to it... maybe the same will happen with this car. I think it's going to be a fun car, but Toyota could have put way more effort into it.

FasTTurbo

First Name
matt
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
94 Supra 6spd (RR) - 94 Supra 6spd (Alpine)
Agreed sir. As with all things time with sort out the cars true pedigree, its just that on paper, the cars origin is pretty cut and dry and what toyotas small part was in it is clear. There really is no mystery to it. I'm just confused if the ideal buyer of this car is a bmw guy who wants something with out of the box styling or its that new age supra enthusiast that doesn't know or care much for the heritage.

Bryster

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Nothing,considering a Civic DX
Definitely not. There are many more people bothered by it more then just me. I'm a Toyota supra fan to the core. I've always welcomed Toyota working hand in hand with other manufacturers like when they developed the last supra with Yamaha. I've been into these cars since 1992, I've owned many and was hopeful for a true successor to the mkiv. Toyota instead made a watered down version of a beautiful car labeled the ft1 and slapped some prepackaged frozen food isle BMW parts into a caricature of the ft1 design. Fake vents, fake scoops, intentionally left off parts for tuners to mod like sheep. Dunno, if you Haven't been a supra fan for a long time I dont see how you could be excited about this car. That's all. I didnt make fun of anyone here, i didnt call anyone names, i simply stated my opinion and i see this place is a true echo chamber for this car. A car i waited for a long time for and was let down hard by.

Again it's a cool car. It makes cool fart sounds and BMW pops on decel. Its decently quick and atleast has some cool curves. But let's not call it a supra...lets call it what the frs should have been.
they only used the FT1 design because of fan reception

twntrbo03'

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1998 Supra Turbo Quicksilver ---1993 Supra Turbo Anthracite --- 2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser 4x4
Agreed sir. As with all things time with sort out the cars true pedigree, its just that on paper, the cars origin is pretty cut and dry and what toyotas small part was in it is clear. There really is no mystery to it. I'm just confused if the ideal buyer of this car is a bmw guy who wants something with out of the box styling or its that new age supra enthusiast that doesn't know or care much for the heritage.

I think it's selling to the younger new age supra crowd and people who unfortunately were not able to purchase a MKIV in the new/used market after it stopped being produced. The Supra name has been iconic for a long time. For me, it was growing up and watching videos of it destroying everything on the road as well as 1000cc motorcycles, for others it's because of the movie FnF and then they realized what true potential the car had afterwards. I honestly don't blame Toyota for going to BMW to co-develop the car and I understand why they did it. What I am annoyed with is how long this car took to come to fruition and the blatant lack of Toyota in this car. They could have redesigned the interior completely, but chose to go with a BMW style look. This was Toyota's last chance to produce a true heir to the MKIV and show everyone what they are capable of producing, but we got this car instead.

Toyotawild

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
07 Toyota Tundra supercharged, 03 Acura cls-6
I've wanted an mkiv since 2011 but couldn't afford one until now. Now the prices are out of control, and is a very old car that they are not producing parts for anymore.
Then the mkv launch date finally posted and here I am with a down payment on a mkv. So maybe I am this generation at age 34.

twntrbo03'

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I've wanted an mkiv since 2011 but couldn't afford one until now. Now the prices are out of control, and is a very old car that they are not producing parts for anymore.
Then the mkv launch date finally posted and here I am with a down payment on a mkv. So maybe I am this generation at age 34.
I'm 34 as well and I think that we are the target demographic for this car. Another big thing is that even when you could purchase a Supra in the 20-30k range a lot of people just don't have that kind of cash laying around and very few banks will finance a car that old. I was lucky enough to find some good deals for my cars.

Toyotawild

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
If I could find a decent deal on a mkiv i wouldnt hesitate buying one. But I'm not going to spend 30k on an na with 208k that was posted near me.

Ursicles

First Name
RC
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Aston Martin V8 Vantage S, Skoda Vrs 245
A lot of buyers will buy it as it's a nice car.

They won't care about the MK4.
They won't have a clue about FnF
They won't care about heritage and YouTube videos.

They just want a nice Toyota - and that's the mkt Toyota will sell the most cars to as they have the means to buy it.

As Toyota brings in the lower 4 pot engine, the price drops and a new range of buyers can afford it and it just becomes a run of the mill car.

For those in the UK - think Ford Capri.

Oxytal

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
MR2 SW20
I honestly don't blame Toyota for going to BMW to co-develop the car and I understand why they did it. What I am annoyed with is how long this car took to come to fruition and the blatant lack of Toyota in this car. They could have redesigned the interior completely, but chose to go with a BMW style look. This was Toyota's last chance to produce a true heir to the MKIV and show everyone what they are capable of producing, but we got this car instead.
Took too long you say? They would have taken LONGER had they not gone with BMW. Of course it's going to look like a BMW, it's built from the BMW parts bin. Calling it as "jUsT a bMw" feels like a massive disservice to the work both BMW and Toyota did over its 7 years of development, methinks.

MA617M

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
lots
I've had shitloads of Supras.

I still have an A60, A70 and A80 (and an A40 in parts)

They were all stock when I bought them, and now none are.

Every Supra has felt related, but done something different. I'm optimistic about the A90. The direction has changed from the A80 - just like the A80 did from the A70 and so on and so forth.

People forget that in stock form an A80 wasn't an amazing car. It was good, but not brilliant.

The aftermarket turned it into the cult hero in the last 15 years. Prior to that, it was seen as heavy and bloated and no-one would pick one over an FD or GT-R. Now that's changed.

Toyotawild

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I think the mkv will be a good platform from day one. The aftermarket will shape the future of this car and make or break it. Theres no doubt it will get a few 2jz swaps.
Any new supra to follow will probably be hybrid or electric and wont have Mr. Tada to build it. I dont think this car will ever come as a 4 cyl. In the u.s. not with the new 86 supposed to be built. I look at it as a car to keep for 20yrs because in 10 everything is going to be hybrid. Btw I just saw a new FnF movie is going to be filmed.

Diggz92

First Name
Denzel
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Acura TL
As much as I like the 2jz why not give this new engine a chance. Before you know it the 2jz will go extinct unless you have the money to build your own parts for it and rebuild it. It's not going to last for ever. This new Supra and it's platform seems good, like all cars and things design will always be up to the person looking at it. Same with having a manual or automatic it's nice to have choices but now a days auto is the way to go I guess based on some statistics. Just test drive it an see what you think.
Sponsored