Battery charger placement

puzzled

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra Premium; VA STI; MK7 GOLF-R; etc..
Did mine as well. Now I can pop the hood and enjoy the engine bay instead of staring at alligator clips..!

The fuse holder is not pushing the finisher outwards although it appears like it.

upload_2020-6-26_12-13-38.png
Sponsored

puzzled

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
My hobby cars do not get driven during the weekdays so after the weekend drive they get plugged in (Battery Tender, not trickle charger) until next time I pull them out which can be weeks.

Last time I drove the Supra was in late May. I plan to pull her out next weekend. I also use Stabilizer in the fuel during each fill so it does not spoil.

Kato

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2018 Tacoma TRD Sport, 2020 GR Supra Phantom
I used the bolt circled in red for ground so that the hood can be closed completely with the charger connected.
20200209_190639.jpg
@ zamiel - let us know how the charger is working for you when using that bolt for the negative (ground) connection. I tried jumping my car (yes already had a dead battery issue) between the red terminal and that bolt and it didn't work. When I used the lug on the fender as ground connection, everything fires up right away.

wesa90

First Name
wes
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
a90
@ zamiel - let us know how the charger is working for you when using that bolt for the negative (ground) connection. I tried jumping my car (yes already had a dead battery issue) between the red terminal and that bolt and it didn't work. When I used the lug on the fender as ground connection, everything fires up right away.
Did you get a “replace battery “ light ? After charging did the light turn off ?

Kato

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
@wesa - nope. There was no warning. The battery was defected. Check out this thread.

puzzled

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I use that bolt for ground. Works fine for me. I suppose one can take a voltmeter (just set it to volt) and probe between a known good ground and that post. If they get '0' volts, then you know it's good.

The first thing I do after buying a new car is to charge the battery until it floats.

zamiel

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1991 MR2 Turbo, 2018 Honda Civic Sport, 2020 Supra
I've had no issues so far using those points to maintain the battery over the winter.

Kato

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I used my DMM (digital multi meter) and checked the impedance between the fender lug and the bolt on the frame. They is very little resistance between them (less than 1 ohm). SO they are practically electrically equivalent. Good enough for charger but not for jump starting because of the amount of current required to turn over the engine (I guess).

What type of charger is everyone using? CTEK? What model? And for those that permanently connect the cable to the car, where do you route the other end of the cable and close the hood? I imagine if the hood is closed, the charger end would have to be snaked underneath the car ... no?

Kato

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I just run the cable out the top passenger side between the hood and fender liner.
Any photo of the set up? Thanks.
Also, I was thinking of the 5.0 Amps model as well. This confirms it.

zamiel

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1991 MR2 Turbo, 2018 Honda Civic Sport, 2020 Supra
Any photo of the set up? Thanks.
Also, I was thinking of the 5.0 Amps model as well. This confirms it.
No photos, but I can take one after the long weekend. I'm away and the Supra is at home in the garage on the charger. :D

Blue

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BMW & Toyota
I just connected the Ctek cable directly on the battery and guided the plug on top of the trunkliner.

when it’s parked, open boot, connect and close boot again (not in the lock).

Found this cleaner/eaiser to use.

puzzled

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I use a Battery Tender JR on my Supra and have it plugged in from under the car into the engine bay as she is my garage queen that only gets driven a few times a month. I don't want to see cords or unlatched hood when I walk into my garage.

I use a telescoping pole with a velcro strip (loop outward) wrapped near the leading end of the pole to reach under the car where you see an opening next to the down pipe on the passenger side.

I have a velcro strip on the charger cable (hook outward) and a large washer zip tied to it. I attach the cable to the end of the pole using the velcro and I feed the cable to the spot where I can see it from above the engine bay. Then take my telescoping magnet tool to pull up the cable using the washer I zip tied to the cable.

Then plug into the charger's umbilical cord that is attached to the charger posts on the Supra (per my post picture), shut the hood completely.
Sponsored