zamiel

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1991 MR2 Turbo, 2018 Honda Civic Sport, 2020 Supra
Any photo of the set up? Thanks.
Also, I was thinking of the 5.0 Amps model as well. This confirms it.
Here are some pictures of where I run the cable and of the charger, which appears to charge just fine with the ground point I use.

20200706_141918_resized.jpg

20200706_141904_resized.jpg

20200706_141834_resized.jpg

20200706_141816_resized.jpg
Sponsored

Neo1967

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A90 Supra
I use that bolt for ground. Works fine for me. I suppose one can take a voltmeter (just set it to volt) and probe between a known good ground and that post. If they get '0' volts, then you know it's good.

The first thing I do after buying a new car is to charge the battery until it floats.
so you don't have to remove the battery terminals from the battery to charge
Where is the battery located and is it safe to charge the battery while it is still in the car and attached to the terminals? NO damage to any other electrical components in the car while the battery is still connected to the terminals and in the car?
I heard that if you remove the battery to charge it on some BMW models you will get a CEL next time car is started and has to be reset?

Paolo

First Name
Paolo
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
20 SUPRA
Yes, from reading online here you need the dealer to reset your battery if a new one is installed.
The battery is located in the boot and is under a cover. It is an AGM type battery.
Best points to recharge from are from up front at the terminals as shown by @zamiel

My question to zamiel is did you remove the bolt and place the o-ring terminal under the positive bolt? I gather this is a permanent fixture; how do you store the terminal with electric tape?

My car is new, but will monitor the battery(am nervous after reading posts here) as it is a weekend car. My old focus rs lasted about 4-5 years on weekend drives only before needing trickle charge with the stop-start first to show non-functionality.

Neo1967

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A90 Supra
Thanks! I have a black and decker smart charger that charges the battery then trickle charges it to maintain the battery.
It is a full size smart battery charger and not just a trickle charger.
Would that be fine to connect to the battery posts to charge the battery?

Capture.JPG

SupraLeggera

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra 3.0
Hey guys

I'm new to this winter storage thing. My car is plugged in to a CTEK MXS 5.0

Ground cable is too short to reach Supra's ground connector so I improvised with this chassis bolt on the body (see image)

PXL_20211114_224106651.jpg

CTEK:
* Green light (no flickering)
* Set to car and AGM
* Car is locked with no lights on or devices connected

The CTEK status lights are on 4. I've been charging it for hours and nothing has changed. Shouldn't it go to higher number eventually? (Worried my ground connection is wrong)

MKV2021

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Supra 3.0 premium
Hey guys

Ground cable is too short to reach Supra's ground connector so I improvised with this chassis bolt on the body (see image)

CTEK:
* Set to car and AGM

The CTEK status lights are on 4. I've been charging it for hours and nothing has changed. Shouldn't it go to higher number eventually? (Worried my ground connection is wrong)
Should be fine; it takes quite awhile to get to the last light. It also gets quite warm, so don't worry about that either.

Loco38SUP

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra 3.0 (Renaissance Red)
Hey guys

CTEK:
* Set to car and AGM

I would separate the ground cable a little further from the positive cable. It looks like you have room to do so all the way to orange junction section. It should reach then.

-RJM

SupraLeggera

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra 3.0
I would separate the ground cable a little further from the positive cable. It looks like you have room to do so all the way to orange junction section. It should reach then.

-RJM
Hey @Loco38SUP yeah it looks like the red and black parts of the cable will part at the orange junction cable but (difficult to see in pic) it actually only splits at the top 40% the length of the connector.

If you imagine a typical car battery with negative on one side and positive on the other, it is that exact width apart.

The Supra distance between positive and the ground ports are probably about 2 car batteries wide. I didn't have much luck finding a wider proprietary cable from CTEK to solve the problem.

Ha my dad gave me some jump leads and said clamp them to the CTEK connectors as an extension but I didn't fancy another DIY variable on my first go doing this.

Nocturnal LE

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra LE

-RJM
yep... I have a CTEK and thought I couldnā€™t split it any longer. Should be able to separate them and get the negative clamp over to the correct terminal

a90soupha

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra
Your negative port is on the fender you have it connected to the brace ...?

what.png

XtremeMaC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra

YOTA_IL

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra 3.0 Premium
I am setting up my charger, the CTEK 5.0

I know select car and select AMG

but what option do we select ā€œ7ā€ orā€¦ does the charger itself just work itā€™s way across the numbers?

Thank you
Sponsored

Reactions: zrk