Best time to change oil on daily Supra?

RenRed2

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
22 BMW M240i / 23 BMW M2
I bought my car (used 2021 premium 3.0) in the beginning of March 2022. The car only had 900 miles when I bought it, and at the moment I'm at 5100(I daily it).

Right now the oil level is still on max, but when would you recommend that I change the oil?

(I sadly don't have the facilities to change the oil myself, since I live at an apartment)
Read your owners manual
Sponsored

Loco38SUP

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra 3.0 (Renaissance Red)
I disagree
The by the book recommendations are the MINIMUM maintenance required
In 50k miles of you chaged it 5 extra times @5k vs @10k what would you have spent extra ? 5x$75 worth of oil ??
Not much of a waste for extra peace of mind
$375 over the course of 5 yrs is chump change
The benefits far outweigh the cost
100X this!!

I change mine every 5K miles. Not recommended to go 10K miles between changes on the 6-port.

You can be down 1/2 a quart and still show Max level on the iDrive. And for the people that dont check their oil, they can be down 1.4 quarts and not know unless the add oil message appears at 1.5 quarts low.

-RJM

suicidaleggroll

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium, 2012 WRX
Per the book. Unless you have analysis stating otherwise. 3 or 5k miles is overkill literally wasting modern good oil. I drive where one can accelerate and enjoy speed. Germany. Early changes are not necessary unless you are using it as defined in harsh conditions, tracking etc. Daily normal driving and 1 year or 15000km's is not an issue. With modern spec oils per the book that issue has been solved. Early changes are just that. Early. Better it isnt unless you are tracking or in harsh conditions.
The issue is how do you define "harsh conditions". That means different things to different people. To the OEM, increasing the power by 50%, keeping it in sport mode all the time with 3k RPM shift points, and blasting up freeway on-ramps is absolutely considered "harsh conditions". To me, that's just a downpipe, E50 tune, and a trip to the grocery store.

Sure, if you leave your car bone stock and drive like a grandma you can push it to 10k miles, but that doesn't describe the majority of the cars here. Significant increase in power + heavy foot = "harsh conditions" = shorter OCI.

Schang105

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 GR Supra, 2020 Porsche Macan
Range of opinions here so I'll offer my 2 cents. Biggest variables are ambient conditions, oil quality, and driving demeanor. Stress the engine by 2 out of 3 it's already going to call for more frequency than the OEM spec of 10k or 1 yr. Biggest issue is not necessarily quantity of oil, it's how significantly the operating conditions differ from the ideal range of daily operation. For those reasons I say take the OEM interval and cut it in half, go every 5k miles to give yourself some wiggle room.

wombo

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Nocturnal GR Supra 3.0 Premium
I just did my first change at the dealership, 2022 bought it brand new at the beginning of May. Got it done at 8k miles cause the car was saying to change around 8250, ill probably do the 2nd one at 16k under toyotacare, then every 5k after that and change the oil myself after I use up the freebies.

Moorman

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Website
photos.app.goo.gl
Car(s)
2020 Supra (RIP); 2021 Tesla Model 3 Long Range
Based on my Blackstone analyses, no more than 9k. Both the GR oil & Redline 5w-30 were showing TBN < 1 at ~9.5k intervals. At 8.5k intervals both oils looked good (I wanted to compare OEM oil to Redline under same conditions over 4 changes; 2 vs 2). OEM oil is fine despite complaints of it 'being like water', but Redline is definitely cheaper, just keep intervals under 9k.

saik

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 3.0 Premium Tungsten
Sure, if you leave your car bone stock and drive like a grandma you can push it to 10k miles, but that doesn't describe the majority of the cars here. Significant increase in power + heavy foot = "harsh conditions" = shorter OCI.
Super agreed here. I had an epiphany the other day driving this car, I go WOT minimum at least once, or drive it extremely hard every time I drive it. The "Heavy foot" is definitely a thing. Now I just need NOS, the big one, actually make it 2.

On topic, I'm in the camp of it's better to change early and potentially waste a few dollars, instead of changing too infrequent and then risking bigger issues. The oil companies probably love people like me.

Escapist

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra, 2016 Yamaha R1
Good rule of thumb buying a used car is to change the oil soon after purchasing it. Intervals for this car thereafter are every 5k miles although some people do it at 3.

Cosmok

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21’ Supra
Good rule of thumb buying a used car is to change the oil soon after purchasing it. Intervals for this car thereafter are every 5k miles although some people do it at 3.
Completely agree. The dealer will almost always use a non-compliant, low cost oil and filter. As long as it meets the grade requirement, they could care less about anything else. My dealer admitted it was basic Quaker State 0w-20 and an STP filter. Needless to say it was changed 2 days later.
Sponsored