BIMMERCODE connection error

Armando

First Name
Armando
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra 3.0 Premium
Today I received my OBDLink CX adaptor, which I ordered to use with BIMMERCODE on my 2020 Supra, since BIMMERCODE says it supports that adapter. After finally connecting my Iphone to the adaptor, I put the car in diagnostic mode, proceeded to open BIMMERCODE full version, selected the OBDLink CX adapter in the settings, and then hit connect. I keep getting a Connection Error that says "The connection to the adapter failed. Please make sure to follow the instructions in the manual". I have followed all the instructions and continue to get the same message. Has anyone had this happen to them.
Sponsored

Attachments

jchadwell

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 Premium
CX worked perfectly for me. Don't be offended but are you positive you aren't still in the free Bimmercode? Only thing I can think of unless you got a faulty one.

ThicWhips

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.thicf30.com
Car(s)
A90 Supra
Make sure you are doing the following.
- Phone needs to be in airplane mode, no wifi, no cell. Just bluetooth.
- If that doesn't do it, make sure your car is in Diag Mode. (Foot off brake, press start three times rapidly)
- I have a made a few bimmercode videos that explain the process on the supra, check out "Thicwhips" on YT.

lmk if you have any questions..

OP
OP

Armando

First Name
Armando
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra 3.0 Premium
CX worked perfectly for me. Don't be offended but are you positive you aren't still in the free Bimmercode? Only thing I can think of unless you got a faulty one.
Not offended at all, just frustrated. Unfortunately, definitely not the free version as the app shows BIMMERCODE FULL VERSION highlighted in green in settings.

OP
OP

Armando

First Name
Armando
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra 3.0 Premium
Make sure you are doing the following.
- Phone needs to be in airplane mode, no wifi, no cell. Just bluetooth.
- If that doesn't do it, make sure your car is in Diag Mode. (Foot off brake, press start three times rapidly)
- I have a made a few bimmercode videos that explain the process on the supra, check out "Thicwhips" on YT.

lmk if you have any questions..
Actually ThicWhips, you are the reason I went through with the purchase of the adapter and app. I watch all your Supra YT videos since I have the same 2020 car and I enjoy very much the way you record your mods. I actually used your discount code to purchase the OBDLink CX, so thank you for that. As to the process:
- Phone was definitely in airplane mode, no wifi, no cell, just bluetooth.
- Car was in diagnostic mode.
- Made sure to select the correct adapter in the BIMMERCODE app.
I'm so frustrated and don't know what else to do!

KBG

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
I assume the CX model allows you to use the OBDLink software and if so, have you tried that yet just to help rule out software vs hardware?

OP
OP

Armando

First Name
Armando
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra 3.0 Premium
I assume the CX model allows you to use the OBDLink software and if so, have you tried that yet just to help rule out software vs hardware?
Yes, initially I was having an issue connecting to the adapter from the OBDLink app, but it was because I was trying to pair the adapter via bluetooth using my Iphone settings, instead of opening the OBDLink app first and clicking on Connect. The app then locates and connects to the adapter. It then shows connected on the top of the app. That's when I then follow up by opening BIMMERCODE and it doesn't connect.

ThicWhips

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.thicf30.com
Car(s)
A90 Supra
Yes, initially I was having an issue connecting to the adapter from the OBDLink app, but it was because I was trying to pair the adapter via bluetooth using my Iphone settings, instead of opening the OBDLink app first and clicking on Connect. The app then locates and connects to the adapter. It then shows connected on the top of the app. That's when I then follow up by opening BIMMERCODE and it doesn't connect.
I initially had this issue, but here is what I did and I haven't experienced it since:
1. Download OBD link app, register etc. Make sure adapter is blinking when plugged into obd.
2. In your bluetooth settings, ensure that your car is not connected to any other bluetooth connections (Toyota, etc) The only connection you want is your CX
3. Airplane mode
4. Open Obd Link app
5. Open Bcode, select CX adapter, select Z4.

Do this in these exact steps, lmk what happens.

OP
OP

Armando

First Name
Armando
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra 3.0 Premium
I initially had this issue, but here is what I did and I haven't experienced it since:
1. Download OBD link app, register etc. Make sure adapter is blinking when plugged into obd.
2. In your bluetooth settings, ensure that your car is not connected to any other bluetooth connections (Toyota, etc) The only connection you want is your CX
3. Airplane mode
4. Open Obd Link app
5. Open Bcode, select CX adapter, select Z4.

Do this in these exact steps, lmk what happens.
Thank you ThicWhips for your follow up. Please note that I followed your steps, which is pretty much what I had done before, and I am still receiving the same "Connection Error" message from Bimmercode. Can you confirm that once the OBDLink app is connected with the adapter, not only does it say connected on the top of the app, but the adapter itself has the green light on permanently, and the red and blue lights are constantly flashing.

Mark-in-Stoke

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
GT86 Supra v
I'm even having problems getting the CX to link to the obd app, any ideas btw the phone goes into airplane mode

Last edited:

KBG

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
Have you paired the CX via BT on the phone first before attempting to use the OBDlink app? Based on your images, it doesn't look like you have yet.

Mark-in-Stoke

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
GT86 Supra v
Have you paired the CX via BT on the phone first before attempting to use the OBDlink app? Based on your images, it doesn't look like you have yet.
nope, that was the problem the phone said goto obd app to connect then the obd app kept saying goto phone to connect, after loads of attempts it's finally connected! ive done nothing differently on my last attempt but it worked for some reason Thanks

OP
OP

Armando

First Name
Armando
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra 3.0 Premium
nope, that was the problem the phone said goto obd app to connect then the obd app kept saying goto phone to connect, after loads of attempts it's finally connected! ive done nothing differently on my last attempt but it worked for some reason Thanks
Were you able to get Bimmercode to link?