Bimmertech - Wireless Android Auto

muckduck

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A91 Refraction Blue, 95 Supra TT, 2008 T4R

I'd say REALLY soon.
Dropping the car off next week, I'll report back in after installation.

Awesome! I am pumped this is such an annoyance for me. Android Auto (hell I'd take wired even!) is one of my pet peeves (still kind of want a manual too =)

muckduck

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
would be great to know the performance and if the touch screen works.

Akashugly

First Name
Akash
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra
I don't mean to bring your spirits down but I wrote my android auto experience using MMI Prime from Bimmertech in this thread earlier. For me the touch doesn't work for me and the entire UI is laggy, but the connection is wireless.

muckduck

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ah ok, didn't know it was the same thing, thought for some reason it would be a better, more official supported version.

Thraxbert

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'20 Supra 3L, boosted 3.8L Gen Coupe, '93 Jimny

muckduck

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ah dam, anyone have a video of how badly the UI lags? Touchscreen I can live without.

cvondra

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium, 2021 BMW X6 M50i
20210512_081330.jpg

Just dropped the car off for the install video. Also asked about any plans to address the trunk release.
Define "address the trunk release". That is one of the few things that I am about to rip my hair out with that dam trunk unlock/release. Absolutely ridiculous it is to get the thing to actually unlock/unhitch.

JoeDaMechanic

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0, 1993 Mazda RX7
Define "address the trunk release". That is one of the few things that I am about to rip my hair out with that dam trunk unlock/release. Absolutely ridiculous it is to get the thing to actually unlock/unhitch.
I asked them if they had any plans to release a button retrofit for the rear under the license plate that actually sync'd up like a factory one and showed them the ridiculous use the hatch button on the door, close the door and have a hatch that isn't actually unlatched. They said they'd pass it onto R&D. So please feel free to e-mail them and let them know that you want it too!

Installation complete.
Initial thoughts so far: I prefer google maps over stock navigation. So being able to see the corresponding map is a huge plus.
Secondly, maybe what phone/connection speed etc you're dealing with has something to do with the previous user's reported 'lag'. I didn't see anything noticeable on it. (Samsung S21 Ultra w/5G for reference)

It isn't a touch screen, but you can use the idrive wheel or the steering wheel control(to some extent). The steering wheel control will change the highlighted area and then you can select it. Using the idrive wheel you can click left/right to move between the screens, if you have it split.

Switching between Android Auto and the stock system is just as easy as pushing and holding the menu button.

I'll play around with it some more and put up a detailed review after I'm done. But for now, overall my biggest concern was the complaint of 'lag' and being unable to use the steering wheel control and it not being touchscreen compatible. For those issues, no noticeable lag, steering wheel control and idrive controller worked great for me and between that and google assistant actually doing what I ask it to do, I'm very pleased with the product.

cvondra

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium, 2021 BMW X6 M50i
I asked them if they had any plans to release a button retrofit for the rear under the license plate that actually sync'd up like a factory one and showed them the ridiculous use the hatch button on the door, close the door and have a hatch that isn't actually unlatched. They said they'd pass it onto R&D. So please feel free to e-mail them and let them know that you want it too!

Installation complete.
Initial thoughts so far: I prefer google maps over stock navigation. So being able to see the corresponding map is a huge plus.
Secondly, maybe what phone/connection speed etc you're dealing with has something to do with the previous user's reported 'lag'. I didn't see anything noticeable on it. (Samsung S21 Ultra w/5G for reference)

It isn't a touch screen, but you can use the idrive wheel or the steering wheel control(to some extent). The steering wheel control will change the highlighted area and then you can select it. Using the idrive wheel you can click left/right to move between the screens, if you have it split.

Switching between Android Auto and the stock system is just as easy as pushing and holding the menu button.

I'll play around with it some more and put up a detailed review after I'm done. But for now, overall my biggest concern was the complaint of 'lag' and being unable to use the steering wheel control and it not being touchscreen compatible. For those issues, no noticeable lag, steering wheel control and idrive controller worked great for me and between that and google assistant actually doing what I ask it to do, I'm very pleased with the product.
Slowly waiting for them to ship my order.

starman

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra 3.0P
Does the BimmerTech module allow Android Auto\CarPlay to utilize the entire screen? Or is it split screen like the OEM CarPlay?

miwialex

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra GR
Does the BimmerTech module allow Android Auto\CarPlay to utilize the entire screen? Or is it split screen like the OEM CarPlay?
I just got done installing, and it was pretty straight forward. I have a pixel 5, and I didn't really notice any lag. Maybe a tiny bit? but nothing noticeable from other cars I've used with android auto. I don't mind that it's not touch screen, because I prefer to use the idrive controls while driving. I find it impossible to touch the screen while going over bumps. The Android auto takes up the whole screen, and isn't split.
Sponsored