OP

dazza

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
VW Golf R Mk7.5 & Toyota Supra MkV
I just got done installing, and it was pretty straight forward. I have a pixel 5, and I didn't really notice any lag. Maybe a tiny bit? but nothing noticeable from other cars I've used with android auto. I don't mind that it's not touch screen, because I prefer to use the idrive controls while driving. I find it impossible to touch the screen while going over bumps. The Android auto takes up the whole screen, and isn't split.
this is positive news. I agree that idrive controller is a better control. Are they going to do a video? I would like to know where the unit is installed.
Sponsored

OP
OP

dazza

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
VW Golf R Mk7.5 & Toyota Supra MkV
I just got done installing, and it was pretty straight forward. I have a pixel 5, and I didn't really notice any lag. Maybe a tiny bit? but nothing noticeable from other cars I've used with android auto. I don't mind that it's not touch screen, because I prefer to use the idrive controls while driving. I find it impossible to touch the screen while going over bumps. The Android auto takes up the whole screen, and isn't split.
Is it wireless Android auto?

JoeDaMechanic

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0, 1993 Mazda RX7
this is positive news. I agree that idrive controller is a better control. Are they going to do a video? I would like to know where the unit is installed.
They will be releasing the install video soon.
Is it wireless Android auto?
Yes, it's wireless. I just hop in the car and it pulls up my maps and music on startup.

miwialex

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra GR
It sounds like the video is coming soon, but honestly, their written instructions were VERY detailed and easy to follow. I had no issues taking apart the dash and it was pretty straight forward. The only issue I had was somehow my torx bit fell out of my screw driver when I wasn't paying attention and I couldn't find it ? The directions give you a few options of where to install the unit. I personally shoved it behind the main radio unit as their was enough space back there. I then drilled a tiny hole in the top of the glove box and routed the USB cable into the glove box through the hole so it's hidden but easily accessable.

muckduck

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A91 Refraction Blue, 95 Supra TT, 2008 T4R
Can anyone post a video of the general experience. Like getting in the car how long it takes to launch Android auto, the responsiveness etc? How's the assistant work?

Thraxbert

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'20 Supra 3L, boosted 3.8L Gen Coupe, '93 Jimny
I would also like to see some video. Bimmertech customer support says the framerate is low and the UI is laggy, owners say it's fine. I'd like to see the framerate for myself!

JoeDaMechanic

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I would also like to see some video. Bimmertech customer support says the framerate is low and the UI is laggy, owners say it's fine. I'd like to see the framerate for myself!

The above video shows from unlocking the car, to start up, to selecting a destination.

Navigating around through menus a bit

I'd be very curious to see what hardware and firmware version of mmi prime and what phone and os version people were on that were complaining about the lag or what particular actions had the lag. Also, just how bad of 'lag' were they experiencing.
For the most part I can navigate through the various screens and apps with nothing that I would consider lag. On initial start up, I don't need to configure any settings and it's connected a few seconds after I start the car up.

cvondra

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium, 2021 BMW X6 M50i
How long did install take you?

Evoh

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra 3.0 Premium

The above video shows from unlocking the car, to start up, to selecting a destination.

I'd be very curious to see what hardware and firmware version of mmi prime and what phone and os version people were on that were complaining about the lag or what particular actions had the lag. Also, just how bad of 'lag' were they experiencing.
For the most part I can navigate through the various screens and apps with nothing that I would consider lag. On initial start up, I don't need to configure any settings and it's connected a few seconds after I start the car up.
Thanks for the videos!

Can you control the music with the steering wheel buttons and HUD?

JoeDaMechanic

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
How long did install take you?
BimmerTech did the install.
Thanks for the videos!

Can you control the music with the steering wheel buttons and HUD?
You can't control it with the HUD, it's on the Aux input.
However, you can control it with the steering wheel button in a way. You can still control volume, and your steering wheel buttons will navigate within the selected window and select whatever you have highlighted. So you can use it to play/pause, next/ previous track if your highlighted cursor is in the music pane.

muniz_ri

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BMW

Nice! Can you post of a pic of the mmi's software version screen?

I'm curious to see if it's the same mmi software as for BMW. If it is then the other vendor's, i.e. Andream, Carlinkit, and RoadTop, versions will also work on the Supra and at a fraction of the cost.

Thraxbert

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'20 Supra 3L, boosted 3.8L Gen Coupe, '93 Jimny
@JoeDaMechanic Wow, your videos are so much better and smoother than the promotional videos Bimmertech sent me of the Supra. The lag on their videos was HORRIBLE. The interface was mega choppy and laggy, but yours look pretty good!

muniz_ri

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BMW
@JoeDaMechanic Wow, your videos are so much better and smoother than the promotional videos Bimmertech sent me of the Supra. The lag on their videos was HORRIBLE. The interface was mega choppy and laggy, but yours look pretty good!
Bimmertech may have updated the mcu which is the bridge between the car's hardware and the mmi.
Sponsored