First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Website
photos.app.goo.gl
Car(s)
2020 Supra (RIP); 2021 Tesla Model 3 Long Range
I just noticed this in my inbox from last month and got excited, but that price is a major turn-off:

Motaz Alisawi | BimmerTech <[email protected]>
Feb 11, 2021, 9:04 AM
to me

Hi Jason,

Thank you for getting in touch with us regarding your Toyota supra.

We would like to inform you that our Carplay/Android Auto MMI Prime is now compatible with your Toyota Supra, total price would be $797 shipped including coding and the coding cable, here is a video of the installation on BMW F22 with NBT EVO ID6 like yours

https://youtu.be/8MezXIIuoH4

If you are interested and would like to order, please let me know so I can send you an invoice.

Kind Regards,

Guff

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A80, A90, Mk1 Celica
Vehicle Showcase
I just noticed this in my inbox from last month and got excited, but that price is a major turn-off:

to me

Hi Jason,

We would like to inform you that our Carplay/Android Auto MMI Prime is now compatible with your Toyota Supra, total price would be $797 shipped including coding and the coding cable, here is a video of the installation on BMW F22 with NBT EVO ID6 like yours

If you are interested and would like to order, please let me know so I can send you an invoice.

Kind Regards,
Damn, that's a lot for sure... Still tempting though...

rotary heart

First Name
Miguel
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra A91 Edition, 2004 IS 300

to me

Hi Jason,

Kind Regards,
Interesting that I just asked them again in my email and they said that nothing new yet

OP
OP

dazza

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
VW Golf R Mk7.5 & Toyota Supra MkV
Wow that is a lot would be nice for the price to have a Supra video showing how to fit it on an actual Supra.

Jon H

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 GT-R, 2021 Supra, X7
Interesting. Hopefully they have a video available soon.

OP
OP

dazza

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Anyone done one of these on the Supra yet that can share their experience?

Akashugly

First Name
Akash
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra
I have installed the MMI Prime and now have Wirless Android Auto.

The unit basically the size of a small DVD player sits inside the dash and also has Carplay and inputs for more parking camera options.

One thing to note is that the wireless Android Auto isn't touch-sensitive. At least for me, it isn't and at times really laggy. I upgraded the wifi antenna of the supra and still not too fluid. Also the steering controls for switching music tracks don't work, but the volume control still works.

OP
OP

dazza

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I have installed the MMI Prime and now have Wirless Android Auto.

The unit basically the size of a small DVD player sits inside the dash and also has Carplay and inputs for more parking camera options.

One thing to note is that the wireless Android Auto isn't touch-sensitive. At least for me, it isn't and at times really laggy. I upgraded the wifi antenna of the supra and still not too fluid. Also the steering controls for switching music tracks don't work, but the volume control still works.
Thanks for your reply. That is really disappointing that its laggy and not touch sensitive. This tells me that its not exactly compatible with the Supra. Have you let them know this?

Did you install it yourself? Where exactly did the unit go?

The price is already a hard pill to swallow let alone if it has lag and is not touch sensitive. Steering wheel buttons should all work as well.

Something isnt right or ready, The website doesn't mention Toyota Supra anywhere on it.

muckduck

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A91 Refraction Blue, 95 Supra TT, 2008 T4R
I spoke to them a month ago and they have stated they have no official Supra support so this could explain the low performance. Fingers crossed we get something really good soon.

Thraxbert

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'20 Supra 3L, boosted 3.8L Gen Coupe, '93 Jimny
I am a new Supra owner and deeply fucking irritated that it doesn't support Android Auto. Frankly, the BMW iDrive software is embarrassing altogether. My Kia and Jeep infotainment systems are so much better than Supra and BMW I can hardly find words to describe it.

But here I am. I own a Supra and there's no way on God's green earth I'm switching to iPhone. So, like y'all I've been looking for solutions and came across the Bimmertech MMI Prime.

I emailed their customer support to find out more. First, the screen is NOT touch sensitive when Android Auto is active; there's nothing they can do about it.

Second, yes, the frame rate for Android Auto is very low. Menus will be choppy. Animations will appear to be missing frames. Sales rep "Nelson" said they've never had complaints about this, but the low framerate/lagginess/choppy UI is expected and "as good as it's gonna get."

You should not expect firmware improvements to improve the performance. If you want Android Auto, Toyota USA is dumb as a box of rocks and thinks Android, with 80%+ marketshare of all smartphones, is not relevant so they'll never give us iDrive 7. And Bimmertech software is laggy with a broken touchscreen. Hope this helps people also searching for Android Auto on the new Supra.

Keywords for Google visitors: Android Auto MMI Prime, Bimmertech, Android Auto Supra, Supra A90 Android Auto

OP
OP

dazza

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I am a new Supra owner and deeply fucking irritated that it doesn't support Android Auto. Frankly, the BMW iDrive software is embarrassing altogether. My Kia and Jeep infotainment systems are so much better than Supra and BMW I can hardly find words to describe it.

But here I am. I own a Supra and there's no way on God's green earth I'm switching to iPhone. So, like y'all I've been looking for solutions and came across the Bimmertech MMI Prime.

I emailed their customer support to find out more. First, the screen is NOT touch sensitive when Android Auto is active; there's nothing they can do about it.

Second, yes, the frame rate for Android Auto is very low. Menus will be choppy. Animations will appear to be missing frames. Sales rep "Nelson" said they've never had complaints about this, but the low framerate/lagginess/choppy UI is expected and "as good as it's gonna get."

You should not expect firmware improvements to improve the performance. If you want Android Auto, Toyota USA is dumb as a box of rocks and thinks Android, with 80%+ marketshare of all smartphones, is not relevant so they'll never give us iDrive 7. And Bimmertech software is laggy with a broken touchscreen. Hope this helps people also searching for Android Auto on the new Supra.

Keywords for Google visitors: Android Auto MMI Prime, Bimmertech, Android Auto Supra, Supra A90 Android Auto
I am with you on this one. Car companies need to give up with entertainment systems altogether and just move to a google platform. My golf R wired android auto works very nicely.

You are complaining about Toyota USA. Toyota Australia decided in their wisdom that they will leave the carplay out of the Supra altogether it is not an option...Yes you can do some programming aftermarket but that's not the point, also no way I would go apple anyway.

I guess we are all stuck with what we got? No options?

If this was a BMW with the latest MMI we would have android auto touch screen and wireless.

I could go on and on about this car and my disappointment It could have been so much better with a little attention to detail. Toyota stuffed up many things on the interior including the sound system, using an old idrive system which maybe was BMW screwing them over a bit.

Its still an awesome car. The Porsche Cayman doesn't have android auto either, at least in Australia it doesn't.

Lack of android auto will be a good reason to sell this car one day, in Australia you are not allowed to touch your phone while driving so mounting the phone isn't even an option. They have mobile phone detection camera's here.

JoeDaMechanic

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0, 1993 Mazda RX7
Interesting. Hopefully they have a video available soon.
I spoke to them a month ago and they have stated they have no official Supra support so this could explain the low performance. Fingers crossed we get something really good soon.

I'd say REALLY soon.
Dropping the car off next week, I'll report back in after installation.
Sponsored