Binding/Popping/Rattle noises - FINALLY found the culprit.

jchadwell

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 Premium
So, about this time a year ago I installed Eibach Euro springs, an Eibach front sway bar, and Verus camber plates for autocross season. Things were great for about half the season but then I started noticing a mild (at first) rattle or binding/popping noises coming from the front. It might have been there longer but I always have the music up pretty loud and maybe just didn't notice it until the volume got progressively louder and the frequency became more often. By the end of last year it happened on every little low-speed bump or uneven surface.

Being an average ability DIYer, I figured it HAD to be something I didn't get quit right. In the last few months of last year before putting the car in winter storage, I broke the fronts down and reinstalled everything twice looking for what could possibly be causing the noise but never found anything. The good news is now I'm a spring swapping pro. I can now switch them out in like 20 minutes per side! I was at a loss and getting frustrated. I even considered putting the factory top hats back in to rule out noise from the Verus camber plates.

So, fast forward to yesterday morning. I decided to go for another round of troubleshooting. This time I decided I would remove the sway bar for a test drive to completely rule it out even though I'd checked it multiple times before and even tried swapping the factory bar back in which made no difference. The issue was the same regardless of bar. If the noise was till there with the bar completely removed, the next step was going to be swapping the factory top hats back in.

Well, I FINALLY found it! And boy am I pissed at the Austrians who assembled my car. When I went to remove the top sway bar endlink bolt, it was already a little loose. Yep, there you have it. Literally the ONLY DAMN PART that I had nothing to do with was the problem. It never dawned on me to check something that I didn't touch. I mean surely the factory has everything torqued properly, right? Wrong. Both sides were loose. Tightened them back down and the car is dead silent again. Thanks goodness - I was going nuts in the troubleshooting rabbit hole...

Morale of the story; don't assume an issue has to be caused by the things you actually laid hands on and check everything. Even the parts you didn't touch. Also, I've seen and read all the noise after spring install posts and feel for everyone who are similarly chasing noises. If you haven't yet, double check those upper endlink bolts!!
Sponsored

Timmy_Jones

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
23ā€™ 3.0 Base
Good catch! Will have to check mine when I do my springs. I feel like Iā€™m going to spend a few days doing mine anyways.

ShakaDaKine

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 TG 3.0
Glad you figured it out, but the endlinks would've been the first things I would have checked, for they are a weak spot in the suspension and are designed that way, to protect the other components from failure. It is especially important to check them from time to time, if you have upgraded your sway bars.

AZ Zupra

First Name
Dev
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra, 2009 GX470
I'm glad I found this post. I've been having a random intermittent rattle or click in the front end when going up ramps or driveways at an angle. This is going on my check list for next time I'm under the car.

Oodis

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 MT GR Supra
So, about this time a year ago I installed Eibach Euro springs, an Eibach front sway bar, and Verus camber plates for autocross season. Things were great for about half the season but then I started noticing a mild (at first) rattle or binding/popping noises coming from the front. It might have been there longer but I always have the music up pretty loud and maybe just didn't notice it until the volume got progressively louder and the frequency became more often. By the end of last year it happened on every little low-speed bump or uneven surface.

Being an average ability DIYer, I figured it HAD to be something I didn't get quit right. In the last few months of last year before putting the car in winter storage, I broke the fronts down and reinstalled everything twice looking for what could possibly be causing the noise but never found anything. The good news is now I'm a spring swapping pro. I can now switch them out in like 20 minutes per side! I was at a loss and getting frustrated. I even considered putting the factory top hats back in to rule out noise from the Verus camber plates.

So, fast forward to yesterday morning. I decided to go for another round of troubleshooting. This time I decided I would remove the sway bar for a test drive to completely rule it out even though I'd checked it multiple times before and even tried swapping the factory bar back in which made no difference. The issue was the same regardless of bar. If the noise was till there with the bar completely removed, the next step was going to be swapping the factory top hats back in.

Well, I FINALLY found it! And boy am I pissed at the Austrians who assembled my car. When I went to remove the top sway bar endlink bolt, it was already a little loose. Yep, there you have it. Literally the ONLY DAMN PART that I had nothing to do with was the problem. It never dawned on me to check something that I didn't touch. I mean surely the factory has everything torqued properly, right? Wrong. Both sides were loose. Tightened them back down and the car is dead silent again. Thanks goodness - I was going nuts in the troubleshooting rabbit hole...

Morale of the story; don't assume an issue has to be caused by the things you actually laid hands on and check everything. Even the parts you didn't touch. Also, I've seen and read all the noise after spring install posts and feel for everyone who are similarly chasing noises. If you haven't yet, double check those upper endlink bolts!!
Bloke

I had finger prints in my carbon fibre bits from factory where someone had not let the clear coat dry before picking it up.

Took 6 months for Toyota to pony up and replace, cost them over $10k aud to rectify.

Cheers

EddieNel

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
F350
I get a popping or clicking sound from time to time but itā€™s only when Iā€™m moving slow. Backing out of parking spots or pulling into them. Iā€™ll have to check it out next time I can get it on a lift.
Sponsored