BM3 vs JB4

Bern77

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
GR Supra MK5
So i plan on getting either the JB4 or BM3 with just an intake. Stage 1/Map 1 is as far i’m planning to go as far as tuning. Has anyone experienced both platforms in stage 1? If so which produces more horsepower/torque. Also will I need an upgraded charge pipe if this is all I plan on modifying?
Sponsored

GMsuperfan

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21 A91 Refraction, 68 Camaro SS, 17 GTI
So i plan on getting either the JB4 or BM3 with just an intake. Stage 1/Map 1 is as far i’m planning to go as far as tuning. Has anyone experienced both platforms in stage 1? If so which produces more horsepower/torque. Also will I need an upgraded charge pipe if this is all I plan on modifying?
Bern77, i'm going to try to prevent you from getting absolutely flamed on here by the savages that haven't eaten in days.

• JB4 works on any car, it's simple and just tricks the DME into allowing more boost (amount depends on the map). There is a guy Jesse on the forums here that will do a custom JB4 map for you that will get the most out of it if you go that route however, know that this is not a "real" DME tune and hence, CEL will not be able to be disabled if you go down the exhaust modification rabbit hole, etc.
  • Now, on for the BM3 or MHD path: If you have an older supra, a 2-port 2019 or 2020, the below may not apply but you need to keep reading, it's important.
  • If your ECU/DME has a 6/2020 or later manufacturing date (sticker on it you have to pull and check), you will need to take that out and ship it to Femto for a partial unlock. There are many companies that do it for you or you can ship it direct to them. Any DME that is older than 6/2020, you can just get a bench unlock from a company who does that in the US and then get tuned immediately after that (this is the least hassle scenario).
  • Once your ECU comes back from Femto, they will have unlocked it and applied either BM3 or MHD+ to the DME which then allows OTS tunes or custom tuning to be applied.
You may be disappointed with the OTS JB4 maps but it depends on each person, i had it and it didn't really do all that much TBH, i could tell by the butt dyno that it was creating more power but not significantly. Now i'm on BM3 custom tune and it's a whole different story. YMMV and depending on what you want to do going forward may inform your decision on best path.

Best bang for the buck performance-wise on the supra is a catless downpipe and a tune....IMHO. You do not need to change the charge pipe out unless you're going to do meth injection or you plan to do a big HP build....of course, for aesthetics you can swap out the part too but yeah.

ColonelAdama

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Absolute Zero Supra 3.0 Premium MT, 2015 GTI
Honestly with ACN91 fuel, you'll not be making much more power over stock either way.

So if you are locked ECU, I'd just do the JB4 for a small power bump, since it'll be much cheaper. ~350-450 secondhand typically. If you have ethanol available, that will help make way more power.

On a unlocked ECU, probably just do the bench unlock and BM3 since that is fairly cheap too

OP
OP

Bern77

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
GR Supra MK5
Bern77, i'm going to try to prevent you from getting absolutely flamed on here by the savages that haven't eaten in days.

• JB4 works on any car, it's simple and just tricks the DME into allowing more boost (amount depends on the map). There is a guy Jesse on the forums here that will do a custom JB4 map for you that will get the most out of it if you go that route however, know that this is not a "real" DME tune and hence, CEL will not be able to be disabled if you go down the exhaust modification rabbit hole, etc.
  • Now, on for the BM3 or MHD path: If you have an older supra, a 2-port 2019 or 2020, the below may not apply but you need to keep reading, it's important.
  • If your ECU/DME has a 6/2020 or later manufacturing date (sticker on it you have to pull and check), you will need to take that out and ship it to Femto for a partial unlock. There are many companies that do it for you or you can ship it direct to them. Any DME that is older than 6/2020, you can just get a bench unlock from a company who does that in the US and then get tuned immediately after that (this is the least hassle scenario).
  • Once your ECU comes back from Femto, they will have unlocked it and applied either BM3 or MHD+ to the DME which then allows OTS tunes or custom tuning to be applied.
You may be disappointed with the OTS JB4 maps but it depends on each person, i had it and it didn't really do all that much TBH, i could tell by the butt dyno that it was creating more power but not significantly. Now i'm on BM3 custom tune and it's a whole different story. YMMV and depending on what you want to do going forward may inform your decision on best path.

Best bang for the buck performance-wise on the supra is a catless downpipe and a tune....IMHO. You do not need to change the charge pipe out unless you're going to do meth injection or you plan to do a big HP build....of course, for aesthetics you can swap out the part too but yeah.
That was well written my friend. I appreciate the detailed information without belittling me. Thank you.

OP
OP

Bern77

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
GR Supra MK5

1Tyrant1

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'23 MT Supra, '20 TM3, '17 Armada, '14 FRS (sold)

Awales74

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra, Mazda 6
Easy Power Path = JB4 + Downpipe followed by e30 + custom map for the JB4.

Get you into the 440hp range at the wheel. You'll keep up C7 Vettes on the highway. Secondary market is strong making it easy to buy used OR sell your stuff down the road. Easy to install at home. This is about the upper limit of this approach.

As others have said, the real tune is required for more power and/or real sporting applications (race/drag). But to get the real value of the tune you really have to back it up with more parts (heat and/or fuel). You'll find yourself on threads comparing how many stock trans you've been through.
Sponsored