Brake Bleeding Help!

Benjilis

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra MKV, VW CC R-Line
Last night I bled my brakes with another person and used a power bleeder. We started at the far sides and bled one by way. Saw old fluid come out and the switch in new fluid.

we accidentally started with the car running so we had to re do it as there were air pockets and we may have dipped below min in the reserve.

after doing it again with the car off. The air came out and everything seemed better.
Now when my car is parked. I used to be able to build boost and the pedal not move at all. Now it has some sponge to it.

when I did the bleeding. I pumped the brake all the way down and had my friend tighten after a few pumps when the brake was to the floor.

is pushing it to the floor and then tightening the brake the issue for the extra squish?

thanks!
Sponsored

RRF985

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2019 BMW M550i, 2020 Supra Premium, 2015 991.1
If you got air in the ABS pump you may need to cycle it to get the air out. Not sure if that requires ISTA or not.

gixxersixxerman

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
Is there a version of ISTA I need? I bought and having installed on my new laptop ISTA the guy doing it opened the file I put my VIN in and it stated something like unsupported. He said the Supra may require a different version. Just seeing if anyone may know. I sent @zrk a PM but he probably has a job that he goes to part time between forum breaks :p

The guy has been great just sitting there hanging out if I can get him a version that may work. My enet cable doesn't come in until later this afternoon from Amazon, he said that may help also that it might recognize the car once plugged in. Just feel bad for this guy hanging out messaging me here and there for any update. Stated if I can't get a version number, he can start DL'ing different versions until we find one that may work. But I need to get my ABS module cycled and bled. It the only place I know left that could be causing my spongy brakes, calipers both front and rear have been rebuilt twice, new master cylinder replaced. Toyota has washed their hands of it.

Tsuki8

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21 3.0 AZ BM3 E50 WMI
Is there a version of ISTA I need? I bought and having installed on my new laptop ISTA the guy doing it opened the file I put my VIN in and it stated something like unsupported. He said the Supra may require a different version. Just seeing if anyone may know. I sent @zrk a PM but he probably has a job that he goes to part time between forum breaks :p

The guy has been great just sitting there hanging out if I can get him a version that may work. My enet cable doesn't come in until later this afternoon from Amazon, he said that may help also that it might recognize the car once plugged in. Just feel bad for this guy hanging out messaging me here and there for any update. Stated if I can't get a version number, he can start DL'ing different versions until we find one that may work. But I need to get my ABS module cycled and bled. It the only place I know left that could be causing my spongy brakes, calipers both front and rear have been rebuilt twice, new master cylinder replaced. Toyota has washed their hands of it.
Specific one for Supras, latest and greatest:
https://www.toyota-tech.eu/DiagnosticTools/Software/ISTA

DIY installation guide:
https://www.supramkv.com/threads/an...doing-istep-update-yourself.13044/post-192797

Give the Enet cable a try, BMW ISTA should still work, some functions may vary.
The official version has a few software activation hoops to jump through.

Last edited:

gixxersixxerman

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
Specific one for Supras, latest and greatest:
https://www.toyota-tech.eu/DiagnosticTools/Software/ISTA

DIY installation guide:
https://www.supramkv.com/threads/an...doing-istep-update-yourself.13044/post-192797

Give the Enet cable a try, BMW ISTA should still work, some functions may vary.
The official version has a few software activation hoops to jump through.
Thanks, i passed the info to him. Hopefully he has something that works, all i need it for is to cycle the abs module. after that i dont care lol

gixxersixxerman

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
So this was a nightmare. The dude that owns diag-tools.com was working on this for over 15 hours total. I think a big part was to add the Toyota version to his site, I bought a 15 euro 7 day license from that site you posted, then we installed a version of ISTA that wasn’t working, used the link for you posted of the other thread, that said we needed techstream lite and that was 70$ for 2 day subscription. Got that but then when opening tis it was telling us the subscription wasn’t working. Spent hours messing with setting for that. Then wiped everything, downloaded one more time from the EU site. Put UK as the country and boom we were in. Everything loaded up but no connection with the enet cable. He changed some things and I was in. Got to the point to start the brake bleed, but by then the ctek 5amp charger just wasn’t enough to keep the battery over 12.55 volts and wouldn’t let us go any further. Got a proper battery charger on the way in the morning and will see then.

just wanted to say thanks @Tsuki8.

OP
OP
Benjilis

Benjilis

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra MKV, VW CC R-Line
Coming back to this, I was able to bleed them just fine once I saw the front brakes had 2 areas to bleed.
no computer was needed but I did use a pressured bleeder the second time around
Sponsored