Mf1ve

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1993 EG Civic (racecar), 2014 Toyota Tacoma
8aabc5637420dc99741423facfa3fc11418711e8-2.jpg

I noticed today that the third brake light was slipping out of position, and looking closer, both of the mounting tabs had debonded from the rear window. Here's what I did to fix it:
  • I first checked the proper position of the brake light against the window by pushing it into position. I marked this position with green masking tape and Sharpie marks.
  • Removed the brake light cover
  • Disconnected the brake light wire
  • Removed the RTV from the tabs (the tabs were still inserted into the third brake light). You have to get it all off, or the new adhesive won't stick to the tabs.
  • Added a strip of 3M VHT "extreme hold" tape on each tab
  • Lined up the tape and Sharpie marks, and pressed the brake light into position
  • Checked that the tabs were holding well (very well indeed)
  • Reinstalled the brake light cover
8aabc5637420dc99741423facfa3fc11418711e8-1.jpg

Took about ten minutes.

I searched around a bit on the forum, and I didn't see any complaints about this problem. Am I that lucky?

Edit - thinking about this, I wonder if the window tint place moved this light out of the way while tinting the rear glass. They might have disturbed the tabs if so.
Sponsored

Reactions: zrk

Davidr3

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Haven’t heard of that, why not let the dealer address it?

OP
OP
Mf1ve

Mf1ve

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Haven’t heard of that, why not let the dealer address it?
Fair question. The dealer I bought the car from is 90 miles away. I can go to a closer dealer but I haven't been there yet, and since this was such an easy job, I just took care of it myself.

MrNobody

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Trdoffroad 4runner
From what I remember when tinting the back window, tape was not holding the light in place. I thought it was slid on and off when the actual beauty trim was off the hatch.

Davidr3

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Fair question. The dealer I bought the car from is 90 miles away. I can go to a closer dealer but I haven't been there yet, and since this was such an easy job, I just took care of it myself.
fair enough
Have you not been paying attention?
let me guess you think the 21 supras all consume oil too

FuzzyRev

First Name
RT
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
24 MT "ordered", 19 Yaris MT, 03 Yukon XL
Edit - thinking about this, I wonder if the window tint place moved this light out of the way while tinting the rear glass. They might have disturbed the tabs if so.
1000% this. Wouldn't be the first time the tint people failed to fully resecure whatever they moved. Happens every day.

MLG Tofu Shop

First Name
Goh
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota Vios
1000% this. Wouldn't be the first time the tint people failed to fully resecure whatever they moved. Happens every day.
Seen that sh!t happen to my parents' cars when I was still a kid, now I don't even bother with those window tint shops. Rather have my skin burnt to a crisp than having someone screw up the interior of my car.

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra - Nocturnal Black
Rather have my skin burnt to a crisp than having someone screw up the interior of my car
Fuck everything about that. You can torch the inside of my car before you burn my skin.

I don't even do well with sunburn.

Marsone

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
ISF, FRS
8aabc5637420dc99741423facfa3fc11418711e8-2.jpg

I noticed today that the third brake light was slipping out of position, and looking closer, both of the mounting tabs had debonded from the rear window. Here's what I did to fix it:
  • I first checked the proper position of the brake light against the window by pushing it into position. I marked this position with green masking tape and Sharpie marks.
  • Removed the brake light cover
  • Disconnected the brake light wire
  • Removed the RTV from the tabs (the tabs were still inserted into the third brake light). You have to get it all off, or the new adhesive won't stick to the tabs.
  • Added a strip of 3M VHT "extreme hold" tape on each tab
  • Lined up the tape and Sharpie marks, and pressed the brake light into position
  • Checked that the tabs were holding well (very well indeed)
  • Reinstalled the brake light cover
8aabc5637420dc99741423facfa3fc11418711e8-1.jpg

Took about ten minutes.

I searched around a bit on the forum, and I didn't see any complaints about this problem. Am I that lucky?

Believe it or not, I just had the same thing happen to me. Although for me, it’s the plastic assembly that covers the light. I removed it and it looks like the adhesive on the middle part of the piece has failed on me, as the clips/fasteners on either side still work fine. It still clips in, but sags in the middle.

OP
OP
Mf1ve

Mf1ve

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Believe it or not, I just had the same thing happen to me. Although for me, it’s the plastic assembly that covers the light. I removed it and it looks like the adhesive on the middle part of the piece has failed on me, as the clips/fasteners on either side still work fine. It still clips in, but sags in the middle.
yeah, this isn't the most robust design.
Sponsored