Burger Tuning BMS Elite BMW/Supra B58TU Charge Pipe Blow-Off Valve (BOV) Kit

GreyMadder

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Tungsten A90 Premium, 08 Tundra, 04 GX470
I do not have the BOV kit on my car but I was reading your guys are trying to log vacuum. I run the prosport mechanical/digital boost gauge in my car. When cruising at partial throttle my gauge will read -1 to -4 hg depending on speed and gear. If you all are having issue it may be the due to the soft spring, more then likely your car is doing similar vacuum in this range.

a90fresh

Threads
Reaction score
Website
instagram.com
Car(s)
Toyota Supra A90 3.0 Premium
I do not have the BOV kit on my car but I was reading your guys are trying to log vacuum. I run the prosport mechanical/digital boost gauge in my car. When cruising at partial throttle my gauge will read -1 to -4 hg depending on speed and gear. If you all are having issue it may be the due to the soft spring, more then likely your car is doing similar vacuum in this range.
Believe this is the RacePort spring chart

IMG_1170.jpeg

Wondering 🤔 if the Pink one should be 1-4 InHg (vs. 0-4 InHg) to match your reading and so it doesn’t open up on anything less than 1 InHg? And if this is the case, looks like there aren’t any springs available in that range.

Lemmy

First Name
Emran
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
GR Supra 3.0
Speaking of springs and spring rates, once you install this and let’s say you want to change the spring , I imagine you would have to remove the whole chargepipe to do so? Of could you get away with only doing the top half? Me order comes in tomorrow but this thread is making me wonder if I should hold off for a bit before I try and install it

a90fresh

Threads
Reaction score
Website
instagram.com
Car(s)
Speaking of springs and spring rates, once you install this and let’s say you want to change the spring , I imagine you would have to remove the whole chargepipe to do so? Of could you get away with only doing the top half? Me order comes in tomorrow but this thread is making me wonder if I should hold off for a bit before I try and install it
RacePort Change Springs:

dustwhyn

First Name
Dustyn
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 M340i

dustwhyn

First Name
Dustyn
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 M340i
have you been data logging and notice your fuel trims being thrown off on throttle? Sounds like you’re dealing with the exact issues of aftermarket BOV messing up the air to fuel ratio which is why im skeptical of this product in the first place..
Just posted a log. Feel free to check it out and let me know if you see anything of concern.

that almost sounds like a mechanical issue, like the bov seals are getting stuck or the spring is off axis and binding. does the valve appear closed with the engine off? I can't imagine any other way how it would open with positive manifold pressure.
No mechanical issues or issues with the install. The BOV itself functions as it should, but it just opens up at part throttle and low boost levels. It’s either an issue with running a BOV on these cars in the first place, or we just need a different spring.

I noticed this after the install, anything under ~30% throttle the bov is cracked open. It was mentioned earlier in this thread it has the pink spring installed which is the softest spring. B58 produces very little vacuum at idle bc of the valvetronic, so soft spring makes sense. However it is possible that during driving as the valvetronic value changes so does the amount of vacuum produced which is higher than the spring rated at.

I’m gonna log vacuum at part throttle and after lifting under full boost to see if this is true. Spring options listed below if a stiffer spring is needed.

TurboSmart Spring kit:
• Pink Spring (Inner -4 InHg)
• Purple Spring (Outer -10 InHg)
• Orange Spring (Inner -8 InHg)

They also offer a blue spring (18 InHg) separately.

@SgtCki is this the issue you had? How is it with the stiffer spring?
This is where my head is at as well. A stiffer spring may be what’s needed to allow the BOV to operate correctly and not open at part throttle, but I’m considering just sending it back and going back to my old setup. On my M340i, fitment isn’t the greatest. Everything, including the electrical connectors, was a very tight fit, and I’m not able to connect that line that connects to the right side of the turbo inlet pipe:

IMG_0837.jpeg

(Not sure what exactly it’s for, I just know it’s already a pain in the ass, and with this charge pipe it was impossible to even reach the spot it connects to, let alone actually connect it. I’ve tried it with the stock one, CTS, and Dinan. Ended up snapping it off trying to connect it, so if anyone has the part number so I can order another one, that would be awesome.

Bigboss

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21 civic FK7 sport, supra 3.0 premium
Speaking of data, I grabbed a log of some cruising with a couple pulls thrown in there. I’m not sure if this will help, or if I may need to log additional channels, but feel free to take a look.

https://datazap.me/u/dustwhyn/mhd-e40-ots-w-bms-elite-charge-pipe-and-bov

If anybody would like me to log anything in particular, lemme know and I’ll do it.
See this is what we need actual data results instead he said this or that. Appreciate it man so how did the car feel overall no loss of power during your drive?

Last edited:

dustwhyn

First Name
Dustyn
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 M340i
See this is what we need actual data results instead he said this or that. Appreciate it man so how did the car feel overall no loss of power during your drive?
Of course! I plan on grabbing some more to paint the best picture I can of how the car is performing, then go back to my CTS charge pipe and grab some logs of that as well.

There’s no loss of power, per se, but the valve cracking open down low really bothers me and it may just be placebo, but I swear it feels like there’s a bit of lag when it comes to transient response as a result. The car also feels really slow to build up to around 5 PSI, and once it gets past that, it behaves like normal.

kfer

First Name
Feri
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Z4
(Not sure what exactly it’s for, I just know it’s already a pain in the ass, and with this charge pipe it was impossible to even reach the spot it connects to, let alone actually connect it. I’ve tried it with the stock one, CTS, and Dinan. Ended up snapping it off trying to connect it, so if anyone has the part number so I can order another one, that would be awesome.
That is the vent pipe. It’s really stiff and easy to break..
I attach the part number and the place on the block where it belongs .

IMG_0374.jpeg

IMG_0370.jpeg

Lemmy

First Name
Emran
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
GR Supra 3.0
Of course! I plan on grabbing some more to paint the best picture I can of how the car is performing, then go back to my CTS charge pipe and grab some logs of that as well.

There’s no loss of power, per se, but the valve cracking open down low really bothers me and it may just be placebo, but I swear it feels like there’s a bit of lag when it comes to transient response as a result. The car also feels really slow to build up to around 5 PSI, and once it gets past that, it behaves like normal.
could the piece that broke off have caused the issue ?

Also a question for the more educated folks on here , could a stiffer spring fix this issue ? Is there any problem with running a stiffer spring ? And should we maybe just preemptively use a stiffer spring to avoid potential issues ?

a90fresh

Threads
Reaction score
Website
instagram.com
Car(s)
No mechanical issues or issues with the install. The BOV itself functions as it should, but it just opens up at part throttle and low boost levels. It’s either an issue with running a BOV on these cars in the first place, or we just need a different spring.

This is where my head is at as well. A stiffer spring may be what’s needed to allow the BOV to operate correctly and not open at part throttle, but I’m considering just sending it back and going back to my old setup. On my M340i, fitment isn’t the greatest. Everything, including the electrical connectors, was a very tight fit, and I’m not able to connect that line that connects to the right side of the turbo inlet pipe:

Also a question for the more educated folks on here , could a stiffer spring fix this issue ? Is there any problem with running a stiffer spring ? And should we maybe just preemptively use a stiffer spring to avoid potential issues ?
Would have to agree that on partial throttle BOV is opening and car does have a tiny bit of lag when your barely on the throttle. We're currently using Pink spring which is rated for 0-4 InHg, think we need to run something like 1-4 InHg or a 2-4 InHg so BOV doesn't open up on partial throttle. However looking a their Spring Chart, I'm not seeing any other Spring that would work based on @GreyMadder 's mechanical/digital boost reading (1-4 InHg) for that vacuum line.

Last edited:

dustwhyn

First Name
Dustyn
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 M340i

No, it’s not related to this issue, as others who haven’t broken that piece off are having the same issue.

Lemmy

First Name
Emran
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
GR Supra 3.0
Would have to agree that on partial throttle BOV is opening and car does have a tiny bit of lag when your barely on the throttle. We're currently using Pink spring which is rated for 0-4 InHg, think we need to run something like 1-4 InHg or a 2-4 InHg so BOV doesn't open up on partial throttle. However looking a their Spring Chart, I'm not seeing any other Spring that would work based on @GreyMadder 's mechanical/digital boost reading (1-4 InHg) for that vacuum line.
Hmm maybe a question for the folks over at BMS, and see if they are also experiencing these issues.

if I were to run a stiffer spring , would it just be that the BOV won’t actuate unless the boost levels are higher ? If that was the case wouldn’t a spring that is 1 level stiffer suffice in fixing this issue? Or are they other downsides I am missing
Sponsored