benchbad.jpg

BA9092

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra Absolute Zero Premium
Wow! Mine's 10/24/2019. I assumed it would be unlocked.

razorlab

First Name
Bryan / Briana
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Not a Corvette.
guys, BENCH UNLOCK, no big deal. :)

Not the same thing as the 21+ where you have to send it into the Ether and spend a bunch of money and have to deal with a certain companies AMAZING customer service ;)

RAWSupra

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
MKV Supra
but inst bench unlocked ECU easily detectable by Toyota ... i used to have BM3 on my M4 and loved that its easy to flash original code to ECU and not worry about any chance of BMW detecting it ( apart from ECU flash counter incrementing by 1 ) ... i know it sounds like im too nervous but i dont want a big bill refused if i was to take it in ...

razorlab

First Name
Bryan / Briana
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Not a Corvette.
but inst bench unlocked ECU easily detectable by Toyota ... i used to have BM3 on my M4 and loved that its easy to flash original code to ECU and not worry about any chance of BMW detecting it ( apart from ECU flash counter incrementing by 1 ) ... i know it sounds like im too nervous but i dont want a big bill refused if i was to take it in ...
You are delusional to think that if you flashed your ECU that BMW wouldn't be able to detect that if they really wanted to.

From working with ECUs for over 15 years, I can tell you, they can without a doubt.

Reactions: zrk

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra - Nocturnal Black
All flashes are easily detected by the dealer. The Bosch ECUs keep flash_count in their memory.

* from factory -> flash_count = 1 (original firmware write)
* flash BM3 once -> flash_count = 2
* flash back to stock & relock -> flash_count = 3

@razorlab is 100% right. If you think they can't detect that you ever flashed your ECU you're delusional.

In addition -> if any parameter ever is recorded outside of bounds (relative manifold boost hits 20psi for example), that is also written to memory.

Besides.. Fucking with cars is pay to play. If you're worried about warranty or bills or whatever. Keep your shit stock. Don't try to play the warranty fraud game. This is exactly the type of shit that pushes manufactures to keep these ECUs locked down tight.

RAWSupra

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
MKV Supra
Thanks for your kind words and help..

but your both getting very confused. ;)

1. I know the tick goes up on ECU flash ... but this is extremely unlikely to be directly attributed to third party flash especially if dealler has ALREADY done two recall flashes on my car.

2. If you unlock your ECU this is VERY obvious to the dealer/engineer .. i know that

3. Dealer/engineer have no idea about tunes set back to stock and codes cleared AS LONG AS ECU IS NOT UNLOCKED. I know this as i have had some very expensive warranty work done on several BMWS using BM3 and dealers have never ever spotted it.

My question was do i have to have my ECU BENCH unlocked ... BM3 (Protuningfreaks) have confirmed my worries in a much more polite manner. :)

Please remember we are all Supra owners and should be polite in helping each other in a friendly manner.

Yours "delusionally" Richard ..lol

Last edited:
OP
OP

Zhupra_

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A90 Supra 3.0 GTS
Yes it will relock your ECU, requiring a bench flash.

I had my car in for trans leak covered under warranty and I refused the update no issue when they brought up the recall. Toyota is not going to mess with you ab it.
AH yes, toyota has kept calling me about this one. i have chosen not to opt for the update as i have carplay flashed and flashing the update will kill my headunit and make it unfunctional.

i will run the risk of hitting a tree. no problem hahahha

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
but your both getting very confused.
🤣 I'm far from confused.

I can assure you that I have pretty close-hand knowledge of this issue and 100% know without the shadow of a doubt that the parameters that are stored in the 2nd memory area of the ECU (The ASW/SWFL-- not the bootloader or the calibration tables) keep persisted flags if some pre-defined parameters (target boost, absolute manifold boost pressure, short term fuel trims, etc.) have ever reached an implausible condition.

Dealer/engineer have no idea about tunes set back to stock and codes cleared AS LONG AS ECU IS NOT UNLOCKED. I know this as i have had some very expensive warranty work done on several BMWS using BM3 and dealers have never ever spotted it.
Warranty work (and warranty fraud, really...) has really nothing to do with the ECU storing these parameter flags. Dealerships will send major warranty requests up the chain to corporate until they are approved. If they decided to do a forensic analysis.. well.. this is when.

I've had my car serviced a couple of times at my dealer. My dealer knows the deal and doesn't care that my ECU is from a 2019 X5 and has a moderate tune on it. The dealer can tell, hell, anyone with ISTA can tell. Shit- locked vs. unlocked has nothing to even do with it. The very early 2020s didn't even need a bench unlock- they were already unlocked from the factory.

I'd be happy to go more in-depth about how the ECU stores that information if you'd like.

Last edited:

A90.C

First Name
Chase
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Car(s)
2020 Toyota Supra, 2015 BMW 335i
I'd be happy to go more in-depth about how the ECU stores that information if you'd like.
I would appreciate any knowledge you feel like dropping on the subject 🤷🏻‍♂️

razorlab

First Name
Bryan / Briana
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Not a Corvette.
3. Dealer/engineer have no idea about tunes set back to stock and codes cleared AS LONG AS ECU IS NOT UNLOCKED.
I'm sorry, this is completely false information. The dealers didn't look hard enough if they didn't see your ECU had been changed before. If you had a high dollar warranty claim and corporate did an investigation into seeing if the ECU had been changed, I will guarantee you they can see if it has or not. Anyone that has worked with ECUs in the past will tell you the same thing.

The fact you are arguing this tells us you don't have experience with ECUs and you are the one confused.

Reactions: zrk

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I'm sorry, this is completely false information. The dealers didn't look hard enough if they didn't see your ECU had been changed before. If you had a high dollar warranty claim and corporate did an investigation into seeing if the ECU had been changed, I will guarantee you they can see if it has or not. Anyone that has worked with ECUs in the past will tell you the same thing.

The fact you are arguing this tells us you don't have experience with ECUs and you are the one confused.
Yeah, I just said that. :p